• I prefer the current Spain and it should not be changed

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • The current Spain should be changed, but not like this

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pineappledan

Deity
I'm not a fan of the current iteration of Spain in base VP, so I have made a rework:

UA - Reqonquista
Gaining tiles generates :c5faith:Faith and :c5gold:Gold, scaling with Era. Inquisitors unlock earlier and gain a free Inquisitor whenever you conquer a City. May purchase Naval Units with :c5faith:Faith.

UI - Hacienda (Worker Improvement):
available at Compass
build time - 8 turns
Can be built anywhere, but not adjacent to other Hacienda

+1 :c5food: Food, :c5production: Production, :c5gold: Gold, :ack: Border Growth
Gains yields for each adjacent city and resource:
+2 :ack: Border Growth if adjacent to a City
+2 :c5food: Food for each Bonus Resource
+2 :c5production: Production for each Strategic Resource
+2 :c5gold: Gold for each Luxury Resource​
+2 :c5food: Food at Architecture
+2 :c5production: Production and :c5gold: Gold at Fertilizer

Just download the zip file into your MODS folder, unzip it, and enable "Spain Rework v2" in your mods list when you start up Civ.
Requires a custom DLL which will be rolled into the standard VP DLL at a later date. for now, you have to replace (1) Community Patch/CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll in your MODS folder with the DLL provided here

Attachments

• CvGameCore_Expansion2.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
  • SpainRework.zip
    748.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Some possible balance tweaks:
  • If the yields are too strong/weak on the UA, they can of course be increased/decreased
  • @ElliotS suggested :c5food:food be added to the yields from tile claiming. I have added the code to enable that, but left it deactivated by default.
  • It is possible to make Spain's inquisitors spread action stronger, but people seemed lukewarm on the idea that stronger inquisitors was a cool bonus
  • Hacienda's :c5culture:on adjacent city could be dropped. The code exists to do it, and I liked that some added culture made the yields different from Dutch Polders

This new Spain uses entirely existing code, and functions very similar to the current Spain w.r.t. flavor, but addresses some serious drawbacks with the current implementation:
  • no more overlap with Carthage and Assyria, because the bonuses on settling and conquest use completely different scaling
  • Alters Spain's focus to no longer be just gaining cities, but gaining Land
  • Removes the immunity to foreign pressure, which helps with several minor issues
    • No longer hard-counters India with no drawbacks (unlike celts, who have a tradeoff)
    • No longer overlaps with Celts, who have a slightly different passive pressure immunity mechanic
  • Gives Spain bonus to Inquisitors
    • Spain now has a use for one of Spanish history's most iconic institution
    • Spain can now benefit from the Inquisition Enhancer. Now has a synergy instead of anti-synergy
    • Has flexibility wrt foreign religions, so they can still use syncretism and take advantage of foreign religions if they want, even though they have a bonus towards inquisitions.

Last edited:
Is it possible to add "inquisitors can work on cities with no majority religion"?

Is it possible to add "inquisitors can work on cities with no majority religion"?
no
Good work, but shouldn't it be moved to the Mods Repository?
The hope is that this would be a proof of concept for adoption with the wider mod. I already have my civ tweaks mod that includes a version of these changes.

Last edited:
UA - Reconquista
  • Gain 6 :c5gold:gold and 3:c5faith:faith whenever you gain a tile through any means, scaling with era
    • literally any tile claim through any method (settle, conquer, border growth, tile purchase, ruins, citadels)
Hi, good rework. I'll eventually post my feedback if I manage to play a bit longer, but the modded UA feels fun and appropriate.

Anyway, first bug report! As it is, you gain only 3 gold per tile aquisition from conquest, culturebomb and tilesettle

Found a bug. The free inquisitors from conquest do not have a religion "installed". So, they can't remove heresy.

This is a problem with how the free units are given, because they aren't given in a city that has a different religion, though I don't know if giving the free unit in the capital, or if anything at all could solve this issue :(
Anyway, first bug report! As it is, you gain only 3 gold per tile aquisition from conquest, culturebomb and tilesettle
Fixed and reupped. Forgot to revert those columns after playing with adding food into the UA

Last edited:
Found a bug. The free inquisitors from conquest do not have a religion "installed". So, they can't remove heresy.

This is a problem with how the free units are given, because they aren't given in a city that has a different religion, though I don't know if giving the free unit in the capital, or if anything at all could solve this issue :(

Fixed and reupped. Forgot to revert those columns after playing with adding food into the UA

Also, getting a free inquisitor from city conquest before having founded (and before any opponent founded already) proves to be quite useless and a gpt drain tbh. Making them spawn only in your (own or conquered) holy city could fix the missing remove heresy issue maybe?

Last edited:
Definitely not working as intended, but I wasn’t able to test that aspect of the civ until this newest version. Maybe I can push a version that uses lua to create the intended effect in the short term until we can fix this bug in the DLL, or maybe I am forced to abandon the free inquisitors

What happens if Spain is following a foreign religion that hasn't been enhanced? Does this mean they can build inquisitors while the actual holy city owner of that religion is unable to?

Maybe it should be something like "inquisitors have +3 move and cost 50% less" to avoid edge case weirdness

What happens if Spain is following a foreign religion that hasn't been enhanced? Does this mean they can build inquisitors while the actual holy city owner of that religion is unable to?
Ideally, yes. Very fidei defensor. I see no issue with that, and it’s better than having a pierce of the UA locked behind enhancing, IMO
Maybe it should be something like "inquisitors have +3 move and cost 50% less" to avoid edge case weirdness
Movement could be added, but that’s a very small bonus. I wouldn’t want to copy any existing bonuses on the Inquisition enhancer, so I’m against making them cheaper.

Is it possible to have unique religious units? Spain seems like a civ that would be cool with them.

I really like the concept behind Spain UA rework but if i have to choose between it and cyrrent Spain i would definitely go with the current one because it's way more satisfying to use; having a huge capital that gets better and bigger every time you conquer another city is super fun to use. I play with MUC4VP and i really like the Hacienda but i don't think we should replace the mission; Spain's main economic booster.

It's definitely more thematic and more unique than before. I agree the current iteration of Spain has a couple of problems with the religious part of the game. Maybe you could allow inquisitors to give a bonus to the city they're stationed in or let them remove heresy twice. If you did either of those and perhaps made them maintenance free they really would be very strong and integral to your strategy.

I like that you kept naval faith purchases. I will miss the food on capture and settle a lot though. It's fun, even if it is similar to the Assyria or Carthage UA.

I play with 4UC and in my experience the hacienda is fine it's just a little boring. I know there isn't much you can do with a UI that hasn't already been done. It's probably even harder now to differentiate them now that farms and mills have been improved.

I don't know anything about the code or what is or isn't possible but maybe looking into border growth, population growth, religious pressure, faith, or even GPP would be cool additions to a stationed inquisitor or hacienda.

As it stands I will try it out for sure. No way to know how it feels until you play it! Thanks for your work PAD.

Hacienda's :c5culture:on adjacent city could be dropped. The code exists to do it, and I liked that some added culture made the yields different from Dutch Polders

I don't know anything about the code or what is or isn't possible but maybe looking into border growth, population growth, religious pressure, faith, or even GPP would be cool additions to a stationed inquisitor or hacienda.

Maybe we could replace the culture bonus by a border growth yield (aka blue culture) for the Hacienda : it would mean in-game that when the Hacienda is built next to a city (sign of a lack of space for the colonists), then there is more efforts to expand territory.

I like the concept! UA seems a bit on the weaker side on first look, I'm not sure how the numbers work out.

I like the UA, seems a reasonable shift for Spain while maintaining the core UA found currently. I think the Hacienda is not necessary, the mission is a fine building for Spain and I don't think its OP.

I like Spain already. The big food bonus and mission have lots of interesting synergies. I don't really care whether it's thematic.

Top Bottom