(10) Proposal: Chieftain Difficulty become "Bonus Neutral"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is no way to do that?
It's not impossible, just really awkward and kind of a waste of a game option slot.

It'd be less awkward to just remove the randomization altogether.

The random choices make the AI stupid. Do we really want to do that? I'd just remove the randomization.

I have been away a little while, & there seem to be a few changes taking place, particularly on these boards. Interesting thread, which I agree with. In nearly every game I play, there is a level where the AI has exactly the same chances as the human player, with no bonuses, cheats or help at all. I normally always play on that level, as I play games just to enjoy, not for a massive challenge. I must admit getting a bit annoyed at times, when playing well & getting in good posiitons the AI seems to still steamrole ahead & find myself going into domination mode to take them down. This is nice, but at heart I am not an aggressive player, & would rather just play a sedate game without the worry of AI having massive advantages against you. I usually play on on Warlord/Prince so am hardly a power player.

I think the vast majority of people on these boards are very good players, who play on really high levels, & like the challenge of the game, so are not really aware of how the low levels works. There are those amongst us though who just want to play an even game against the AI without worrying about them having massive advantage.Even Chieften has lots of advantages for AI. I know you can edit the game files to remove these, but I would rather just have a level set up to play each time that is an equal one for player & AI, which Chieften is ideal for.

Would like to point out that currently the player receives bonus Happiness, less Unhappiness from needs, and extra unit supply. Changing Chieftain to make it bonus neutral disrupts the whole careful progression of difficulty, and players who are on lower difficulties are often doing so because they're struggling with the mod. I think this would be more suited to a modmod, or you can simply modify the files yourself.

If you still want to proceed with this, then @Stalker0 you should propose a full rework of the difficulty bonuses at each level with a bonus neutral level, since the difficulty levels are linked and you can't really change one difficulty without changing the others.

What about all of the same changes, but for Settler instead of Chieftain?

1- Bonus neutral
2- Ramp
3- Up
4- Difficulty
5- As
6- Normal

Of all the difficulties, Settler has got to be the least frequently used/the one with the least time played on. Maybe people take it to learn the mechanics really quick or test out mods but any consistent player would be off to Chieftain or higher pretty soon, if they even bothered to start at Settler in the first place

Last edited:
What about all of the same changes, but for Settler instead of Chieftain?

1- Bonus neutral
2- Ramp
3- Up
4- Difficulty
5- As
6- Normal

Of all the difficulties, Settler has got to be the least frequently used/the one with the least time played on. Maybe people take it to learn the mechanics really quick or test out mods but any consistent player would be off to Chieftain or higher pretty soon, if they even bothered to start at Settler in the first place
I know some newcomers who have struggled even on Settler.

Additionally, bonus neutral would mean players of all difficulties would be playing with Emperor level Happiness/unit supply, as currently proposed.

Is it possible to add in another level of difficulty? Could we just have bonus neutral as its own special thing?
It might be possible, but I personally don't know how to do it.

I know some newcomers who have struggled even on Settler.

Additionally, bonus neutral would mean players of all difficulties would be playing with Emperor level Happiness/unit supply, as currently proposed.
Whoa, why does changing the bonus on one difficulty change all the others?

Whoa, why does changing the bonus on one difficulty change all the others?
-20% Unhappiness from Needs (Settler) > 0% Unhappiness from Needs (Chieftain) > -10% Unhappiness from Needs (Warlord)

And also unit supply, global happiness, etc.

It's weird and inconsistent and will confuse new players.

I sponsor this proposal.

Proposal Sponsors: Recursive.

(Sponsors have indicated that they are able and willing to perform the code changes required for this proposal if the community votes Aye on it. Other coders are free to sponsor this as well. A proposal without a sponsor will not advance to the Voting Phase.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom