100-Unit Mod

The Troquelet

Conscious
This is a "work-in-progress" ;) . I'm trying to find a balance between Vanilla Civ's pitiful 66 units and the huge modpacks which have as many as 120 units, many of the new ones being redundant [DyP has 127]. One hundred is a good arbitrary average though some may say "There's no such thing as too many units!" ;) . Below I have pasted images of my upgrade trees, and what little work I've done on statistics for each unit.

The aim of the modpack is to expand the unit archive, giving a wider range of choice without confusing the player or adding un-necessary minutiae. Several notes: the upgrade cost will be halved [the Palace will now have the Leonardo's Workshop flag]. I have changed the UUs of the Americans, Babylonians, and English, and moved that of the Hoplite. The Mounted Archer [ie the Parthian Horseman] will have a mounted animation but is treated as a foot unit - the Samurai has been changed to a foot unit as well. I have tied the costs and technology requirements to the DYP mod because that's what I play with, but you can easily change this to fit your requirements. Yes, I know the Elephant can't REALLY upgrade to a Knight, but given that the AI will never upgrade a unit until practically forced to, and that we also have to balance playability with realism, there's no point to an elephant unit - or a chariot unit - unless it is upgradable. For that purpose, EVERY unit in the game is upgradable to modern times. The one exception is naval units.

Any suggestions on units to add/change - or take away? I'll add more stats to this thread as I go.

Remember: utility is what I'm aiming for ;)

PS: I must give credit to Kal-El's terrific DyP mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19742 because I have included several of his creations - especially TSUs, the "Settler" upgrade chain, and the later infantry units. I STRONGLY suggest you play with this mod, or another one which includes many techs, because there are too many units to fit on the Vanilla Civ3 tech-tree.

Also note: several units on this chart have not yet been made! Perhaps this will be an inspiration to genius unit-makers ;) [/shamelessflattery] Cog, Ship of the Line, Ballista, Missionary, Destrier, Cataphract, Mameluke, and Scimitar are the most prominent holes..

Top Bottom