1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1000 ways you know you've played Civ2 too much when...

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by Chieftess, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I can't tell if this is a genuine question or if you know the answer and are playing along in the thread. In any case, I'm sure there is someone who will be unfamiliar with Adam Smith, so I'll give a brief history.

Adam Smith was a teacher in a Scottish University (I think Edinburgh or Glasgow) in the mid 1700s. He first gained notoriety in his time for his book "The Theory of Moral Sentiments" (which I haven't read and so can't comment on), and attracted students from around Europe to his University.

Eventually, he was offered a position as a private tutor which paid substantially more than his University position. He followed this student to France, and found that the demands of this job were so light that he wrote a book to pass the time. The book was "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations," which was published in 1776.

The book can basically be regarded as having started modern economics (though he wasn't alone or the first to write on the subject at the time). The book covers a wide variety of topics in economics and history though his primary "thesis" comes to this: when people pursue their own interests (as long as there is no theft or fraud and transactions are voluntary) they end up promoting the general interest; its as if they are lead by an "Invisible Hand" to do so. I won't attempt to give the reasoning behind the argument at all; an "abridged" argument would (probably) only cause more questions and turn this thread out of its original purpose.

Smith also wrote on some other subjects, including a book on astronomy (which I also haven't read).

2. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Thanks for the brief. You are indeed a good Professor.

3. pedropavani

pedropavani Warlord

5323: you know how to play every music of Civ II
    5324: ... In every instrument that the Humanity have created
    5325: ...And in some that are not created yet
    5326: ...And you can do all it without using your hands

4. stixs

stixs Chieftain

5327. Fourteen years after the game was released, and eight years after this thread was started, you're still posting on it.

5. simpeter

simpeter Lurker

I second the motion.

6. Helvezian

Helvezian Chieftain

5328. Before even wanting to edit the units, you've zoomed in on them all to see all the little details...

5329. ... then you noticed the Spy actually has cleavage... :eek:

5330. ... and that turned you on. :p

7. Blasph23

Blasph23 Terraformation Junkie

5331. After reading Helvezian's post, you immediately went to edit units.bmp and see for yourself. I did. :p

8. Theov

Theov Deity

5332. After reading Helvezian's post, you continue playing the game, even though you're mormon.

9. killing time

killing time Chieftain

yeah i had a look too. seeing badly pixelated breasts totally brought me back to my duke nukem 3D days:lol:

10. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

5332. When you look at the garden in spring and start looking for the "o" key to transform terrain.

11. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

5333. When walking near a river you wonder which place is best for starting a city.

12. timtofly

timtofly One Day

5335. When you finish your last game and go online to see what the latest version people are talking about and it is .... VI!!