100th Anniversary

STMO

Chieftain
100th Anniversary
As America make a National Park of Crater Lake and both tiles of Yosemite in one game

Which map include these two Natural Wonders?

Answer: Use Yet not another maps pack mod and use Gretest Earth Map.

Basic question.
How to build national park? What are prerequisites to do so after i've recruited Naturalist?
You need:
  • 4 land hexes (but up to 3 can be mountains)
  • Shaped as a diamond
  • All belong to same city
  • All have charming or breathtaking appeal
  • All have no improvement on them
If any places suite these conditions, they will light up in white when the Naturalist is selected.

Last edited:
Basic question.
How to build national park? What are prerequisites to do so after i've recruited Naturalist?

There's a long and convoluted description in the civilopedia. But the gist of it is that you need 4 unimproved tiles of Charming or Breathtaking appeal in the shape of a vertical diamond within the bounds of a single city, and the naturalist must be able to stand on at least 1 of those tiles.

You need:
  • 4 land hexes (but up to 3 can be mountains)
  • Shaped as a diamond
  • All belong to same city
  • All have charming or breathtaking appeal
  • All have no improvement on them
If any places suite these conditions, they will light up in white when the Naturalist is selected.
Be aware that the shape must be vertical.

Thanks for this description of how to place a naturalist. I couldn't find it in the Civilopedia.
I 'bought' one with 1600 faith several turns ago and don't have anywhere to put it, unless I remove improvements.

I've noticed that if your advisor recommends a naturalist, there is usually an applicable spot to build a national park.

That, or there's a mod with more map lenses which can tell you where you could built a park.

Thanks @AsH2 and @mdl5000. By coincidence, I've just read that excellent report.
Having still not managed to position a park, my view is the naturalist is a great way to waste time, effort, faith, and gold.
I think the only successful strategy is to plan for a park early in the game.

nb what is the point of the requirement to have the park entirely within one city?
The charming / breathtaking appeal and the 4-tile layout is reasonable, but the rationale behind one-city escapes me.

Last edited:
Thanks @AsH2 and @mdl5000. By coincidence, I've just read that excellent report.
Having still not managed to position a park, my view is the naturalist is a great way to waste time, effort, faith, and gold.
I think the only successful strategy is to plan for a park early in the game.

nb what is the point of the requirement to have the park entirely within one city?
The charming / breathtaking appeal and the 4-tile layout is reasonable, but the rationale behind one-city escapes me.

If you do not plan for a national park it is a waste. However you may remove improvements (like mines) and plant trees in suitable locations to increase appeal (city park and culture and entertainment district increase it). You can often find good spots near mountains, natural wonders (if you don't spam districts around them) and in late game in remote, tundra areas with woods.

Why it has to be a single city is probably just a technicality, as the park provides amenities to that city primarily. However the 3/4/5 era points are worth it. Tourism output as well.

I did an industrial start for a culture victory via NPs once for fun.

Top Bottom