10k Gold Challenge

@Charlie B: I'm glad you had fun :). What size map did you use, and more importantly, how many AI's were there you could trade with. If you could try again on a small pangaea map at standard settings, then it would be the expansion equivalent.

We'll just say for now that the current record for earliest year by which to make 10,000 gold is:

Vanilla, Small map, Standard Settings: Arabia, turn 159
Gnk, Large map, Standard Settings: Arabia turn 138

@Hammer Rabi: thanks, maybe later. It does look interesting, but I got a lot to do this month and I got a feeling getting GnK would make me late on a lot of projects. I will note, 'making it easier' would defeat the purpose; the idea was to set a difficult objective. Getting 10k gold before 1000 A.D was hard, which made achieving it feel worthwhile.

As a side note: I was thinking that the staff here and long time players could make their own Civfanatics achievements. Almost all the achievements I remember for Civ5 aren't difficult; they are just things you would do normally while playing the game. They feel kinda like gold stars given to 1rst graders for showing up to class.

Just like I did here, you guys could post a challenge, and by challenge, I mean a REAL challenge: something that is difficult to do for even a good player, and see if people can pull it off. Obviously it would be just for fun as people could just photoshop any screen shot.

It would be interesting to read people's methods.

Examples could be:
* win the game without building a single combat unit.
* lose the game before turn 25
* win the game without improving a single tile resource
* get a happiness score of 100

@Hammer Rabi: thanks, maybe later. It does look interesting, but I got a lot to do this month and I got a feeling getting GnK would make me late on a lot of projects. I will note, 'making it easier' would defeat the purpose; the idea was to set a difficult objective. Getting 10k gold before 1000 A.D was hard, which made achieving it feel worthwhile.

earlier doesnt mean easier. the game is entirely different so you'd have to learn new mechanics and timings as well as new civs/units/buildings. there are multiple ways to get gold in religions, +2gpt per city following your religion or +1 per 4 followers, or +100g for converting new cities, etc. the variables make it interesting to see which one is the way to go. plus there are other that might yield better returns like faster science or more production, etc it's all number crunching and GnK requires it just like vanilla.

Well, maybe Charlie B or someone else with the expansion will give this a shot at the same settings I used and see if they can beat 159 turns.

I'm interested in seeing someone pull it off.

Woo Hoo! Pulled off 10K gold by turn 159/980 AD with Arabia.

Had some nice river squares and I aggressively expanded cities early to capture nearby luxury resources. Early contact with other civilizations, keeping good relations, and selling everything you can when anyone has any spare money was the key. Sold off most my units and some buildings at the end to make up the spare change I needed.

1 Honor, 1 Commerce, and finished Liberty.

Nice one.
I went - tradidtion full, commerce 1 and liberty 2.

I had 2 Cities size 22 and 15 and I didn't sign any RAs.

Wonders I had GL, HS, HG, and Chitchen Itza.

National wonders I had National treasury, Circus maximus and Iron works.

It seems like you worked out the best way of playing this challenge!

Well done.

1. Unless it is a high difficulty game this one is really easy. Get allied militaristic CS to get some units and go for diplo or tech vict.
2. Go deity, duel pangea or other no water map, quick speed and add multiple aggressive AI's. Build no units nor defensive buildings, DoW everyone the moment you meet them
3. Similar as with goal no 1, without difficulty setting the goal can be achieved in basically every game.
4. My personal best is something around 350 happiness per turn.

Although the idea of being able to get own achievements is interesting, I would certainly go for it. Like some historical goals - complete Apollo Program first on deity as America while having Russia as your opponent. Or build Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower and The Louvre on deity as France.

@Sidor1982
Alright, so you don't think the examples I gave were challenging. They were quick examples I thought up in 30 seconds to be just as I said they were: examples.

I would like to note part of this idea is that the players may be restricted to particular map settings; not much of a challenge if the player can just create favorable conditions to overcome it. This is why I gave map settings for the 10k challenge. Creating a larger map with more civilizations would create more trading opportunities, making it easier to reach 10k gold earlier.

You said this yourself when you presented the idea of some historical achievements by giving some specific maps settings and difficulties.

In all honesty, I'm not experienced enough as a player to know what other players would find challenging; if this idea caught on, it would be up to staff members here and players recognized for their experience and skill to think them up. Or, you could have difficulty level to challenges, now that I think about it. Ones you guys think new players could approach.

Anyway, its just an idea I'm tossing out there. Like all ideas that make work for other people, I realize the chances of it happening is pretty slim.

maybe 15K or more for standard (8 civs/16 CSs)? Anything that makes getting sub 200 a challenge seems fair enough. If you are getting 10k by t150 or less with less trading partners then that could be an adjustment to keep with the theme. i still havent seen what a good difficulty would be for this. higher than emperor would be pretty hard as you need to spend your gold like crazy to keep up.

i love this idea i just havent been able to try it out yet. I hope to give it a go this weekend.

* win the game without building a single combat unit.
* lose the game before turn 25
* win the game without improving a single tile resource
* get a happiness score of 100
1. That's interesting. Low difficulty, islands map to avoid dow, befriend militaristic CS?
2. Easiest. Don't settle, just walk around.
3. OCC and wait untill neighbours improve their ressources than go conquering. Some bowmen and 1-2 spearmen/pikemen are enough for war.
4. Game finished today - 160 happiness when winning science.

What would be a year that it would be difficult to get a 100 happiness score by that seems realistic enough to achieve if someone played a perfect game to do it?

I'm starting to think this is another great challenge, as happiness is another one of those scores that require sacrifice and planning on the player. Adding cities and growing your population decreases happiness, but is necessary to keep your civilization competitive and with access to resources.

Sure, you can get a 100 happiness in the game pretty easy later on, but I'm wondering how early I could get 100 happiness by.

I tried to do Theodora Tithe + Church Property + IP with Desert Folklore on Emperor. To make sure my religion will spread, I even hand-picked my opponents (to the point that no one else got even pantheons before I got my religion). Alas, the map's geometry made it too hard for my missionaries....

What would be a year that it would be difficult to get a 100 happiness score by that seems realistic enough to achieve if someone played a perfect game to do it?

I'm starting to think this is another great challenge, as happiness is another one of those scores that require sacrifice and planning on the player. Adding cities and growing your population decreases happiness, but is necessary to keep your civilization competitive and with access to resources.

Sure, you can get a 100 happiness in the game pretty easy later on, but I'm wondering how early I could get 100 happiness by.

I would imagine 100 happiness is really difficult.

Top Bottom