11 Year Old Forced to Marry 20 year Old Rapist in Backwards Country

The Holocaust occurred in the 1940s. That was 70 years ago, not 20. Does your country not teach what should be basic 20th century history?
No, I'm pretty sure that was 20 years ago. The Berlin wall fell in 1989, so how would the Nazis have gotten to the Jews before that?

Actually, some apparently don't, in some aspects. About 11 years ago I was part of an RPG gaming forum and decided to use a poppy avatar on Remembrance Day. A guy from Switzerland asked me about it, and was croggled when I explained the symbolism of poppies, the two World Wars, and how Canadians observe (not "celebrate" - this is a dignified, solemn occasion, not a party) November 11. He explained that this was something they never really thought about much, and he cautioned me that I might get into trouble due to the religious symbolism in the avatar (it was actually a picture of a poppy on a cross, although the entire cross was not visible). That forum had a zero-tolerance policy for political/religious discussion unless they were game-based. I said I'd take my chances, assuming nobody would report me - and indeed, if anyone did, the staff there let it slide.
You mean like... Popcorn? I don't understand. Is it a sign of American colonialism on Europe when they flooded us with their culture, including cinemas where they sold Popcorn?

This smugness is unwarranted. Canada also takes in refugees, we don't have the death penalty, and while I don't know what the current minimum age for marriage is now, it's certainly not as backward as in those states in the U.S.
Assuming this random site I found via google is right, Canada seems to have a similar mentality to Germany:

"To have the capacity to marry, you must have the physical, mental, and legal ability to marry. Physically, you must be able to consummate the marriage. Mentally, you must understand the nature of the ceremony. Legally, you must be 18 years or older and not already married. There are exceptions to the legal age limit. You may marry with your parents’ consent if you are under 18 and over 16. Under some circumstances, parental consent may not be necessary if a judge says so. You may marry under the age of 16 if you get a letter from a medical doctor saying that you are the mother of a living child or you are pregnant."
http://www.law-faqs.org/alberta-faqs/family-law/marriage/

Back in 1960, my mother married my dad when she was 16 (17th birthday was the day after). No, it wasn't one of necessity, not a shotgun wedding in any way - I didn't come along for 3 more years. My mother had completed Grade 10, was 16, and with her parents' permission, that was deemed sufficient for her to be allowed to marry, if she wanted. My dad was 25 at the time. I'm not sure that such a marriage would be allowed nowadays.
Assuming your grandparents were fine with it, it would!

Free healthcare? I can walk into any clinic or hospital in my province and expect to be treated and not receive a bill (for services; pharmacy isn't free).
I mean yeah, let's be honest here, Canada is like the Europe of America.
Consider yourself a honorary member.

Free education? Okay, you win on that one.
Oh... fine!

Today's Europe is clearly the most enlightened of places in the world

Nah. Surgence of popularity in far right/reactionary parties throughout Europe (UKIP to name one of many), hate crimes on the rise, etc. You aren't the most enlighted place. Canada maybe. Japan maybe because if enlightened simply means 'educated' they probably have you beat. I also think you overestimate how valuable 'enlightenment' is. Being enlightened doesn't help much if you get your ass kicked, as history has demonstrated as well as in Europe itself.

Nah. Surgence of popularity in far right/reactionary parties throughout Europe (UKIP to name one of many), hate crimes on the rise, etc. You aren't the most enlighted place. Canada maybe. Japan maybe because if enlightened simply means 'educated' they probably have you beat. I also think you overestimate how valuable 'enlightenment' is. Being enlightened doesn't help much if you get your ass kicked, as history has demonstrated as well as in Europe itself.
See, when far right parties actually manage to do something to destroy the values of Europe, then I'll agree that Europe isn't that enlightened after all, but until then the current surgence (is that really a ord?) of the far right parties stems simply from turbulence that were created by progress that was made faster than the population adapted, which is something that is to be expected, and decisions that were made "for the greater good", without actually getting the population on board.

Both of these tarnish, but do not revoke the state of clear moral and ethical superiority of Europe.
We are the beacon of light in a world filled with darkness.

See, when far right parties actually manage to do something to destroy the values of Europe, then I'll agree that Europe isn't that enlightened after all, but until then the current surgence (is that really a ord?) of the far right parties stems simply from turbulence that were created by progress that was made faster than the population adapted, which is something that is to be expected, and decisions that were made "for the greater good", without actually getting the population on board.

Both of these tarnish, but do not revoke the state of clear moral and ethical superiority of Europe.
We are the beacon of light in a world filled with darkness.

Nah. You all are a bunch of liberal pussies in a world full of badasses.

You mean like... Popcorn? I don't understand. Is it a sign of American colonialism on Europe when they flooded us with their culture, including cinemas where they sold Popcorn?
Poppies. As in part of the traditions of Remembrance Day, observed by various Commonwealth countries (ceremonies vary somewhat among different countries). Scroll down to the part of the article about Canada, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The Americans are unfamiliar with this tradition, apparently, since one of the times when Obama and Trudeau had a conversation, Trudeau was wearing a poppy (which we do for 2-3 weeks up to and including the morning of Remembrance Day) and Obama asked what it was and why he was wearing it.

I think both are true.

Poppies. As in part of the traditions of Remembrance Day, observed by various Commonwealth countries (ceremonies vary somewhat among different countries). Scroll down to the part of the article about Canada, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The Americans are unfamiliar with this tradition, apparently, since one of the times when Obama and Trudeau had a conversation, Trudeau was wearing a poppy (which we do for 2-3 weeks up to and including the morning of Remembrance Day) and Obama asked what it was and why he was wearing it.
Trudeau... I think I know that name. Isn't he the guy who made half of his cabinet women, then paid them less than the male members of the cabinet and forced them to wear head scarfs and go through the side entrance like second-class citizens when they visited that one gender-segregated Mosque?

Trudeau... I think I know that name. Isn't he the guy who made half of his cabinet women, then paid them less than the male members of the cabinet and forced them to wear head scarfs and go through the side entrance like second-class citizens when they visited that one gender-segregated Mosque?
Yes, the cabinet is half-and-half men and women. No, the women are not being paid less than the men. Not sure about the mosque thing. One thing Trudeau is not going to do is to tell mosques how they're allowed to do stuff within their own walls.

For instance, a male Muslim cabinet minister or MP cannot legally require any female staff to wear hijab or anything else if they don't want to (within reason; women are allowed to be topless in Ontario, but I daresay that's not part of the accepted norms in Parliament). The Charter of Rights gets into a pretzel area with religion in some cases, though, as exemplified by the bizarre situation in Bountiful, B.C. A polygamous community calling themselves Mormons (regular Mormons disavow them) were forcing underage girls to marry and/or were trafficking them across the border into the U.S. to a similar community. When the RCMP tried to shut them down, they waved the Charter and screamed that their freedom of religion was being infringed on. It took quite a bit longer for that group to be dealt with.

No, the women are not being paid less than the men
http://globalnews.ca/news/2321777/t...l-make-20000-less-than-their-male-colleagues/

One thing Trudeau is not going to do is to tell mosques how they're allowed to do stuff within their own walls.
Oh, he doesn't have to. The right thing to do is to

Spoiler :
not visit a place full of religious people who haven't caught up to western society yet and want to force rules onto the female members of your cabinet that go against the very basics of what you claim to stand for.

But it's not surprising, Trudeau is the prime example of a "Do as I say, not as I do!"-"progressive". Some on the right would say he's a ****, and I would find that to be a fitting label in this one case, but he'd probably like it if people called him that. ;)

Last edited:
This doesn't mean we don't get to judge backwards Islamic countries, it just means we can also judge backwards Christian influenced states too.

Exactly. People who use the "you can't criticize them, because it happens in your country too!" excuse are really just using a form of the "but mom, everyone else is doing it too!" excuse. That excuse never worked for me as a child, and it shouldn't work for anyone here as an adult.

With that said I will now address the OP:

You say we ignore the problem (and it is a problem. I find child marriage to be absolutely outrageous no matter what culture is doing it), but are we really? I mean, this is the first I've heard of this. Had I been aware of it, I'd have been expressing outrage sooner. The point I'm making is that it's not the people that are ignoring it, it's the media ignoring it. They have the power to blitz the nation with this issue and start putting real pressure on politicians to take these outdated laws off the books. But what do they do instead? Non-stop Trump talk 24/7. Now you could argue that Trump warrants all the media coverage, but what about before Trump? Even before him there still wasn't a peep in the media about this.

Even now, the New York Times article in your link was from an op-ed columnist. This is something the New York Times should be mobilizing the better part of their resources to exposing, but instead they relegate it to a single op-ed column.

But it's not surprising, Trudeau is the prime example of a "Do as I say, not as I do!"-"progressive".

Indeed. I remember during our presidential election, Trudeau had the nerve to criticize Americans by saying we need to pay more attention to what's going on in the world. Normally, that wouldn't be such a bad thing to say except for this quote from Trudeau:

I don't read the newspapers, I don't watch the news. I figure, if something important happens, someone will tell me.

So a man, whose whole job is supposed to be paying attention to what's going on in the world, doesn't pay attention to what's going on and has the nerve to say we need to pay more attention to the world. To that I say: practice what you preach, hoser.

We MADE this world, you fool !
We're just going for diplomatic victory now, after winning domination victory, conquest victory and cultural victory.

Junior ministers and senior ministers are different positions. I note that the article you linked is from 2015, so it should have been fixed by now.

But it's not surprising, Trudeau is the prime example of a "Do as I say, not as I do!"-"progressive". Some on the right would say he's a ****, and I would find that to be a fitting label in this one case, but he'd probably like it if people called him that. ;)
So you're accusing Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau of cheating on her husband with another man while her husband watches? :huh: Or you think there are white supremacists in the PMO? That would have been true under Harper, but he's gone.

Those are the only two contexts I could find for this repugnant word, and neither fits Justin Trudeau and his wife.

Justin Trudeau (apparently) said:
I don't read the newspapers, I don't watch the news. I figure, if something important happens, someone will tell me.
I'd appreciate a link for this.

Junior ministers and senior ministers are different positions. I note that the article you linked is from 2015, so it should have been fixed by now.
Yeah, it's fixed now - after public outrage.

I mean, there's two paths to go from here on: Either you think it's good that it got changed, in which case Trudeau did actually pay his female members of Parliament less than he should have, or what he did was okay, but then they changed it and ****ed to the public outrage. Both don't make him look very good.

So you're accusing Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau of cheating on her husband with another man while her husband watches? :huh: Or you think there are white supremacists in the PMO? That would have been true under Harper, but he's gone.

Those are the only two contexts I could find for this repugnant word, and neither fits Justin Trudeau and his wife.
You need to visit The_Donald more often to stay updated with stuff!

In this case, a right-winger would say that Trudeau has ****ed for(?) religious bigots instead of standing up for the values he believes in by negotiating with the people, or not visiting that place if no compromise could be found.

So, there are 66 000 females at the age of 10 to 17 in that place, Google tells me. Let's say, there are 10 000 girls at the age of 13. One of them married. One of ten thousand. Ehm... Big deal! Is there a photo and some bio available? Do they shoot you from the second floor of a bar for a divorce in USA?

Anyway, no irony involved, seriously! This is a very serious matter, especially compared to these minor issues here: https://www.navbug.com/fatal_accidents_in_new_hampshire.htm Or these ignorable numbers: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics

Since someone brought up Japan, I don't live there, but, from what I've heard, child brides are practically unheard - in fact, less and less Japanese are even marrying in their late teens or even 20's - a growing number are not marrying at all. The birth rate is dropping rapidly. To compound this issue, Japan has one of the very highest life expectancies in the world. Significant issues and problems with age demographics clearly await down the line.

@Ryika: Okay, how about a definition of this word? One that fits what you're trying to say, that makes sense without having to include the rest of the urban dictionary or alt-right websites, because I am NOT going to those places. I've just eaten.

And don't mistake me for someone who supports Trudeau unquestioningly. He's made some whopping mistakes over the years, and since becoming PM. But the thing is, he's better than what we had before, so you might as well rant about why didn't the previous PMs fix this imbalance? Same with the 24 Sussex fiasco (the official residence of the Prime Minister needs major, major renovations and upgrades and has for decades). There are all sorts of Reformacons whining on the news sites about these renovations, and demanding to know why Trudeau needs such a lavish place, and why doesn't he just get an apartment like normal people. They just don't seem to understand that it's the official residence of the PM. It's not Trudeau's personal property, and the repairs and upgrades are on such a scale that he may not even ever get to live there - it will take years. Previous PMs could have had the repairs done, years ago and for much less money... Harper could easily have done it after his wife and kids moved out, but he just couldn't give up that prestigious address, even when the heating, electricity, and plumbing didn't work properly and there's asbestos in the walls.

So, there are 66 000 females at the age of 10 to 17 in that place, Google tells me. Let's say, there are 10 000 girls at the age of 13. One of them married. One of ten thousand. Ehm... Big deal! Is there a photo and some bio available? Do they shoot you from the second floor of a bar for a divorce in USA?
One that we know of. There are likely many more we don't know of. And divorce laws vary from state to state in the U.S.

When I was 13, there were two girls in our class better formed mature-wise than some of our teachers, you wouldn't give them less than 16, and if they start talking, it was all 18, not because of being smart, but because of their manners and boobs-based self-esteem. They were communicating with guys from upper classes alot and even older than that, and obviously were no virgins.

I would prefer them getting married, better to a Mormon, to not sustain their attitude and "cultural influence" on the class.

It most likely means that your progressive PM rejected some job candidates only because they had wrong type of genitalia.
Oh, so you're saying the men who received their cabinet positions only got them for being men, and not for their qualifications?

When I ask this question of the Reformacons on cbc.ca, for some reason not one of them ever has an answer.

When I was 13, there were two girls in our class better formed mature-wise than some of our teachers, you wouldn't give them less than 16, and if they start talking, it was all 18, not because of being smart, but because of their manners and boobs-based self-esteem. They were communicating with guys from upper classes alot and even older than that, and obviously were no virgins.

I would prefer them getting married, better to a Mormon, to not sustain their attitude and "cultural influence" on the class.
Are you aware that most mainstream Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore?

Top Bottom