1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

1200 AD. Test version Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by gilgames, Mar 22, 2016.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

As the name suggest it, lets talk about the test version of that scenario.

I tried Hungary first. Its lot harder then the normal version, but ok. Mongols are manageable, plague hit hard, then the austrians came and i got a CTD in 1356.

save:
    View attachment AutoSave_AD-1356 Turn 252.CivBeyondSwordSave

City placement seems acceptable, if you raze belgrad, you get good spot for two cities. also you can settle the north-east part good. A small inconsistency, that you have walls in all cities, but no access to stone, thou you have one in your core. money, civics, religion seems ok.

2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I made some further tests

Byzanc: too few worker, no access to horse at start, very few city, no extra visibility so their uhv is impossible in this state.

Arabs: they have no arabic knowledge, have no state religion, cannot change religion, none of their city have manor house, otherwise seems ok, uhv might be doable if mongols hit will be softer.

Morocco: no arabic knowledge, no starting settler(its a must) marrakesh starving at start, hav no preset civics at all. next to prebuilt walls you can build kashba too. Oran's location a bit wierd, got no extra sight.

general problems: no civ has enough workers, not enough military (i.e. morrocco took recently andalusia, with crossbows?) oversee unique buildings, might be a problem there.

3. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

Norway and Denmark should be Christian in 1200.
    The Colonies Info Screen has wrong colony names for me.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Agreed
    Oh, yeah, my mistake
    Will fix it

5. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Byzantium has horses outside Hadrianopolis?

The UHV isn't impossible, if you are aggressive and use the Mongols to hammer Halab, Konya, Kaisareia and Mus whilst you focus on the poorly defended cities in Europe. But it does rely a lot on luck and it's difficult to capture everything and build four settlers for the unoccupied territories.

Personally I would give Byzantium Nicopolis (1W of the sheep), Kalamata (1S of the barley), Nikaea (2E of the gold). Also give Bulgaria Sredets (1NE of the wheat) and replace Mus with independent Malatya (1E of the cotton). That would put cities in all Byzantine UHV provinces, so a strong military effort to take the ten cities required would make the UHV more possible to achieve.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Many of these are also good points
    Will look into it eventually

EDIT: Ahh, following Swarbs' post I also got mistaken, that's an older post for gilgames :lol:
    Actually all of those things are already fixed in the scenario.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Will upload a bigger commit today, maybe will fix some of these already in that one
    If not, then in the next update - most of these are very easy to change, but for example city placement and balancing can be rather time-consuming

8. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Dont worry we will do the balance by testgames, just crank out the updates :D

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Crank out? :hmm:
    Do you even know what you are talking about? :dubious:

10. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Well I do, in my dictionaries it means: do something repeatedly countless times.
    So if you you crank out updates: could means there is a new svn version every day....or so.

11. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

"Crank out" has connotations of mechanization, and often implies mindless/tedious work, which I wouldn't exactly call game/mod development.

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Ehh... We are talking about modding here.
    I guess usually I'm way too patient with you, but now I will just leave it at this.
    The answer is obviously no to my question.

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

It also has implications of producing something quickly and regularly. Which seems pretty cheeky and ungrateful given that Absinthe and merjin are doing all this for free! :nono:

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Well it does feel more than ungrateful, considering how much work I have put into the mod recently. Not to even mention all the work in the past years.
    Also, most of my time goes into improving exactly the quality of RFCE, not just mindlessly adding stuff - so it's exactly the opposite of what 'cranking out' implies.
    I'm very careful about the quality of the work I give out of my hands, and do a lot of testing with most of my more significant changes.

Actually, a major difference between 3Miro and me (some fun fact for those who were also here when he was the main modder, in the first couple years of the mod's life):
    He is a far more accomplished coder than me, he had learnt everything professionally, even did his PhD connected specifically to coding, in the USA, and now has a great job there. He is a great Bulgarian guy btw, born and raised there AFAIK.
    But in his words, he is a "very sloppy coder" :D He liked to say that about himself in our PMs about the mod.
    And indeed, I have put a lot of effort in improving and revising most of his codes after he had left (he was in charge in all .dll changes before, and many of the bigger features like stability and provinces, then I had to took over those parts too)
    His codes have great ideas and even better coding techniques in them, but also tons of bugs, and even logical mistakes in quite a couple times.
    (having said that, I'm sure he would have also took it as an insult if someone thought his work to be 'cranked out' updates)
    I have nothing but respect for him, without his work RFCE hadn't got as far as it did.

But back to the basic question: On the other hand, I'm very thorough in every modding work I do. Tend to aim for perfection, even if that's simply not possible in most cases.
    I learned most of my coding through modding, so it was a much longer process for me, but by now I can safely say that I have also reached a fairly good level in everything connected to Civ IV modding.
    ATM most of the big features have their parts mixed up either from Rhye, 3Miro and me (a couple of the vanilla RFC features, like plagues, spawns and respawns - most of the other ones had been completely rewritten though), or 3Miro and me (new or rewritten RFCE features - stability, mercenaries, provinces, reformation, crusades, inquisition, all the UPs UHVs and other civ specific stuff, etc.), with me getting an increasingly bigger amount in many of them.
    All the smaller things and functions, and the art, balance, text and map updates are mostly mine (3Miro didn't care for those things, was mostly interested in the heavy modding part), with some help from merijn every now and then - and also from the community of course :)
    And I keep trying to finetune everything even further to the specific needs of RFCE.
    There is still a lot to do, but I like to think that RFCE got to greater heights in my lead, and hopefully it will raise much further.

15. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I could barely translate the following, but its my regret to Absinthe:

Mondtam már hogy az angol nem az erősségem irásban, be ebben nem volt semmi támadó szándék vagy rosszindulat. Tisztelem a munkád és nagyra tartom, ha nem lett volna nyilvánvaló. A fenti commentet úgy is mondthatnám, hogy "csak lökd a frissitéseket, mi teszteljük" neked nem volt vicces, Bocsi.

I think I'll retire from being active on this forum for a few reason.

16. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

(imho)

1. A lot has also been done in this mod.
    2. RFCE currently offers ongoing modding, forum managing and customer support/fixing problems. The availability and combination of these for such a long time put and continues to put RFCE on an even higher level every day.
    3. It is hard to comment on plans that have not come to fruition yet. And about their implementation(s) I am woefully unqualified to give a value judgement (as of today I could not code a single line to save my life). But I await them with great anticipation nonetheless.

For all of these three statements I consider the part you play(ed) integral and you have (at least) my thanks.

17. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

When inserting the hungarian in google translate (I assume) I discovered that you meant apology.

If so, then don't be too hard on yourself Gilgames, (that is an awesome name btw, the story of Gilgamesh is perhaps my favourite epic) it happens a lot in real life, especially volunteer work, that people overestimate their own contribution and simultaneously underestimate someone else's contribution (and eventually get called out on that).

If that happens to you usually an apology like this will suffice.

I am sorry I was a jerk (1. admit guilt)
    It was not my intention to be jerk (2. distance yourself from your harmfull statement)
    In the future I will try to not be a jerk (3. express your intent to not make harmfull statements in the future)

It is my experience people (irl*) tend to be very forgiving and may even offer some constructive criticism regarding your previous behaviour.

If you do tend to have a break from these forums, I for one did appreciate the attention you gave to me and I wish you the best irl.

*irl=in real life

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Don't be silly, no need to hold a grudge :)
    I certainly won't.

Thanks, but I guess I was just too tired last night.
    While it's certainly nice if others appreciate your efforts, I usually don't take it too hard if it doesn't happen.

I have literally spent thousands of hours on modding RFCE :crazyeye:
    Wouldn't have done it if I didn't love the mod, modding it became more or less a hobby to me.
    So it's more than enough for me if the feedback is limited on the development of the mod itself.
    Also, to some extent my post from yesterday sounds like bragging, which certainly wasn't the point of it at all :blush: