14 year old in Major League Soccer....

Speedo

Esse Quam Videri
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/01/16/bc.som.lgns.mlsdraft.r/index.html?cnn=yes

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- In a move that surprised no one, 14-year-old soccer phenom Freddy Adu was selected by D.C. United as the first pick in Friday's Major League Soccer draft.

I'm in awe right now," Adu said after D.C. United took just more than three minutes to make a selection that had been predetermined. "I've been waiting for this moment for a long time."

"I can't wait to get on the field and start playing," added Adu, who will try for a starting spot on the United when their season starts in the spring.

Adu, a naturalized American born in Ghana, will become the youngest professional American athlete in over a century when he takes the field in April.

On Nov. 19, Adu became the highest-paid player in MLS with a guaranteed salary of $500,000. He also inked an endorsement deal with Nike reportedly worth up to $1 million.

"I'm going to go in, keep my mouth shut and just listen to the guys," Adu said in an interview with SI.com's Grant Wahl. "I have to earn the respect of my teammates and coaches, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to earn that respect."

Wearing a black suit with a blue shirt and a diamond earring in his left ear, Adu was joined by his mother, Emelia Adu, at the MLS draft, held in conjunction with a national convention of soccer coaches at the Charlotte Convention Center.

He smiled as he held up a No. 9 D.C. United jersey with his name on the back.

"I would rather have No. 11, but you can't always get what you want," he said. "You have to earn it."

The No. 11 jersey is worn by United striker Alecko Eskandarian, the first pick in last year's MLS draft.

Adu was a high school All-American as a freshman and attended the U.S. under-14 boys' national team camp in 2001. He began playing for the U.S. under-17 team last year at 13, scoring 22 goals in 2002 and a team-leading 29 goals in 46 games this year.

He led the U.S. team to the quarterfinals of the Under-17 World Championships in Finland in August, scoring three goals in the opener and the winning goal in the second game.

Several top European teams were interested in Adu, including Manchester United, Chelsea and PSV Eindhoven. But European soccer's complicated rules probably would have limited him to a youth team rather than a top club until 2007, when he turns 18.

In MLS, he can play as soon as D.C. United thinks he's ready. It also allows him to stay at home.

In other top MLS draft picks, Columbus took defender Chad Marshall of Stanford with the second pick. Los Angeles followed by taking Joseph Ngwenya, who was the nation's leading scorer for two years at Coastal Carolina.

Two trades were made involving first-round selections. Kansas City moved up to No. 4, selecting UCLA forward Matt Taylor, by trading Carey Talley and Eric Quill and the No. 7 pick to the Dallas Burn. The Wizards also received Shavar Thomas.

The New England Revolution traded the No. 9 pick to the Chicago Fire for a player allocation tied to new D.C. coach Peter Nowak's retirement as a player.

San Jose had the No. 5 pick, taking defender Ryan Cochrane of Santa Clara. The sixth pick was midfielder Ramon Nunez, who played at SMU. He went to Dallas, which followed that up that by taking Maryland defender Clarence Goodson.

New England went with Furman defender Clint Dempsey at No. 8, while Chicago took Maryland midfielder Scott Buete ninth. San Jose wrapped up the first round by selecting Santa Clara goalkeeper Steve Cronin.

On Wednesday, PepsiCo announced that Adu has signed a two-year deal to endorse the company's Sierra Mist. MLS also said Sierra Mist will replace Pepsi as the league's official soft drink under a two-year partnership.

In MLS -- an organized single-entity operation -- all players are signed to the league and not individual teams.

Adu has been compared to Pele and Diego Maradona, and the league hopes he can attract mainstream sports fans to an MLS match.

14 years old? Isnt that a bit young?
I guess the child will get a ton of money, too much publisity for his own good and have an abnormal teenage period.

But as long as it generates attraction, and much needed cash, I guess it is alright

and why do they keep call it soccer, when obviously, it is football :rolleyes:

Nope!

F.C. Internazionale owns him :D

Yawn. Sorry, no kid is going to rejuvenate MLS.

Originally posted by The Yankee
Yawn. Sorry, no kid is going to rejuvenate MLS.

To be rejuvenated, something must have been juvenated. MLS doesn't fit the bill.

Originally posted by SeleucusNicator

To be rejuvenated, something must have been juvenated. MLS doesn't fit the bill.
Now, now....they sold a few tickets in its first year...maybe even 17.

Well, it's easy to blame the MLS but I'm actually glad it exists. Before being a business, sport should be fun and people who enjoy soccer in the US are certainly glad to have such a league... it's not because they are so few it means we should remove that from them. After all, whatever you think about the MLS, it could just bring happiness to some people and I don't see how it could harm anyone.

PS : I don't understand why I post such a message since I don't care at all of soccer (well except the cutie players), I guess that's once again my natural instinct about defending the lamb against the wolf... or simply my pulsions of saying something people will disagree on... I should talk about that to a therapist. Especially once we know we can hardly disagree on what I've just said... well anyway I'm getting lost !

Originally posted by Marla_Singer
Well, it's easy to blame the MLS but I'm actually glad it exists. Before being a business, sport should be fun and people who enjoy soccer in the US are certainly glad to have such a league... it's not because they are so few it means we should remove that from them. After all, whatever you think about the MLS, it could just bring happiness to some people and I don't see how it could harm anyone.

PS : I don't understand why I post such a message since I don't care at all of soccer (well except the cutie players), I guess that's once again my natural instinct about defending the lamb against the wolf... or simply my pulsions of saying something people will disagree on... I should talk about that to a therapist. Especially once we know we can hardly disagree on what I've just said... well anyway I'm getting lost !
You mistake the wolf for the lamb here. The MLS is most likely the most commercial league in the world. It actually signs the players to the league, not to clubs (it doesn't even contain clubs, just "teams"), it has no tradition whatsoever and operates purely for profit.
Hardly something that needs protection from business, it is business.

What I don't get is why about half the teams are owned by the same guy....

Originally posted by Marla_Singer
Well sorry then Hitro ! As you can see, I really don't know a thing about footie !
Well, you know the name of the game. Which is much more that quite alot of people here do. ;)

"Futbol"? Are we Brazilians or what? :p

Football is the game played with the foot. Yankeeball is the game where sissies in protective suits pretend to play Rugby.

Originally posted by Hitro
"Futbol"? Are we Brazilians or what? :p

Football is the game played with the foot. Yankeeball is the game where sissies in protective suits pretend to play Rugby.
Actually, I think a better name for American football would be "helmetball".

Actually it shouldn't be anything with "ball", rather "Helmetegg" or "Yankeeegg", which is as stupid to look at as the game.

Btw, there is a sports forum and this is the "Evolution vs. Creation" of it...

Top Bottom