14 year school girl shot, Taliban claims 'credit', will do again

I doubt a moderate would actually join the Taliban given their track record .

It's like most gangs. A decent fellow can be pulled along, trying to do as little evil as possible, while still failing to resist the truly evil and maybe even enabling them.

It's like most gangs. A decent fellow can be pulled along, trying to do as little evil as possible, while still failing to resist the truly evil and maybe even enabling them.

Well such a person will be the silent moderate of the group. He never expresses his opinions as he is too afraid of censure from his fellow fighters/gang members . Of no real use.

Hmmm.

Consider CFC for a moment. Are the moderates too afraid of censure?

You see, what anyone can say anywhere depends on where the common ground lies.

I was referring to members of groups like Taliban. Your life could easily be under stake if you are a member and defend the 'western infidels' and their ideas of free speech. Or you could be accused of blasphemy or being a traitor to the group. I doubt you would receive death threats in cfc cause you support Obama or Romney :mischief:

I was generalizing to make the point that no matter what the environment, there are limits to what anyone can say. Those who don't abide by the (very often implicit) rules of CFC conduct will find themselves very quickly castigated and excluded.

My point is that the Taliban, although an extremist Islamic group, do not differ in this sort of behaviour. That is to say, the Taliban will have their own range of views going from moderate to extreme, in both directions, in exactly the same way as any other group.

The consequences for failing to conform may, as you rightly point out, be different. This doesn't change the essential dynamics.

So is there any hope the 'moderates' in the Taliban could change the direction of the group lets not say immediately but after 20/30 years. And what type of inducements could be given to hasten this. I guess education could be one area where an investment would pay off in the long term. A curriculum which would encourage critical thinking would be a big jump from the present madrassa system .

I recommend education. Afghanistan has one of the very lowest literacy rates in the world.

And what a good idea to not support a corrupt regime as an alternative to the Taliban. You know, just for the novelty value.
Looks like you and I are on the same page!

dunno i think everything i said is accurate, the last part may be a bit more speculative but maybe u can't refute the overwhelming surge of Quacker pwnage?

You know what? I'll respond in full later today. You're going to get SLAMMED Quackers! :p

Anyways, everyone seems to caught up in their defense and offense against the Taliban (the right response isn't to to defend them) that no one's actually bothered to report the condition of our young hero here.

Beeb said:
Malala Yousafzai: Pakistan bullet surgery 'successful'

Surgeons have removed a bullet from the head of a 14-year-old girl, a day after she was shot by Taliban gunmen in north-western Pakistan's Swat Valley.

The operation on Malala Yousafzai, a campaigner for girls' rights, went well, her father told the BBC.

The attack sparked outrage among many Pakistanis, who gathered in several cities for anti-Taliban protests and held prayers for the girl's recovery.

The militants said they targeted her because she "promoted secularism".

A spokesman for the Islamist militant group, Ehsanullah Ehsan, told BBC Urdu on Tuesday she would not be spared if she survived.

The BBC's Aleem Maqbool in Islamabad says the authorities will now have to consider how to protect the girl.

He says her family never thought about getting security because they just did not think that militants would stoop so low as to target her.

Two other girls were injured in Tuesday's attack, one of whom remained in a critical condition on Wednesday.

Malala Yousafzai came to public attention in 2009 by writing a diary for BBC Urdu about life under Taliban militants who had taken control of the valley.

The group captured the Swat Valley in late 2007 and remained in de facto control until they were driven out by Pakistani military forces during an offensive in 2009.

While in power they closed girls' schools, promulgated Islamic law and introduced measures such as banning the playing of music in cars.

Malala Yousafzai's brother, Mubashir Hussain, told the BBC that the militants were "cruel, brutal people" and urged all Pakistanis to condemn them.

Pakistani politicians led by the president and prime minister condemned the shooting, which the US state department has called barbaric and cowardly.

President Asif Ali Zardari said the attack would not shake Pakistan's resolve to fight Islamist militants or the government's determination to support women's education.

In a statement, army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said the Taliban had "failed to grasp that she is not only an individual, but an icon of courage".

Thousands of people around the world have sent the teenage campaigner messages of support via social media.

Schools in the Swat Valley closed on Wednesday in protest at the attack, and schoolchildren in other parts of the country prayed for the girl's recovery.

Protests were held in Peshawar, Multan and in Malala's hometown of Mingora, and another rally was expected in Lahore.

Late on Tuesday, she was flown from Mingora, where the attack happened, to the city of Peshawar, 150km (95 miles) away, for surgery.

Doctors in Peshawar operated on her for hours before managing to remove the bullet early on Wednesday.

"The operation went well, now she is ok and the swelling is down," her father, Ziaudin Yousafzai, told BBC Pashto.

"Please pray for her, the next 24 to 48 hours are very important. Doctors are saying we don't need to shift her. It's good for her to be here now."

A medically equipped plane had been placed on standby at Peshawar airport as medical experts tried to determine whether she would need further treatment overseas.​

LINKY

Our young activist has survived the shooting due to the efforts of Pakistani doctors. Her shooting has sparked huge anti-Taliban protests from the people, as well as condemnation from pretty much the entire nation, including the government. Do you think the Taliban are cowardly enough to follow up and kill the child? Will these protests push the government into eradicating the Pakistani Taliban once and for all?

Yes. And no. Respectively. Unfortunately.

Seems not much of a reply. But what else could happen? I hope the Taliban don't pursue, and probably they won't bother.

The Pakistani government is probably unable to do anything to "eradicate" the Taliban. Do you mean they should kill them all? There's a real danger, if they try to, that they'll simply encourage more people to join them.

The only sensible option is a long drawn-out programme of modernization and education for the whole country.

It's a welcome start. And not likely to alienate anyone. The thing to avoid is going off half-cock and making matters worse.

Is it a sign of weakness that the Taliban feel they have to resort to such measures?

Well such a person will be the silent moderate of the group. He never expresses his opinions as he is too afraid of censure from his fellow fighters/gang members . Of no real use.

Yes, if he's surrounded by gangs, he'll not be able to moderate the gangs. The best he can hope for is to 'get out' of his society by some piece of hardwork or luck.

It's a welcome start. And not likely to alienate anyone. The thing to avoid is going off half-cock and making matters worse.

Is it a sign of weakness that the Taliban feel they have to resort to such measures?

They are scared indeed that she is able to speak freely.

Top Bottom