1492: Global Colonization. Mod development

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by KJ Jansson, Aug 16, 2009.

1. KJ Jansson

KJ Jansson Prince

Great! When I reach this section in my mod, I will use your solutions and ideas. Otherwise I planned to build on the same place of the cityscreen or Cotton Wearing Mill, or Wool Wearing Mill. As I see, now I could construct only one Wearing Mill and both resources could give "Cloth". Very nice! Muito obrigado!

2. ma1801

ma1801 Chieftain

Hey, fantastic mod!!! Congratulations!

Just two doubts:

1 - DId you remove the ability to purchase items (colonists / ships) at Europe?
    2 - Do you know if it's possible to add cannons to a fortress, as in Colonization 1?

3. KJ Jansson

KJ Jansson Prince

Thank you, ma1801!

1. No, I didn't remove the ability to purchase items (colonists / ships) at Europe. Here my mod is similar to the original Civ4Colonization.
    I plan to make some serious changes in this aspect in the next version.

2. Kailric published [MODCOMP] Colonization: Forts here. I guess such or similar Forts are the best place for the cannons.

4. slackerpride

slackerpride Chieftain

Hey,

Just wondering if there was any news on the progress of this kick ass mod.

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, I also you hope you didn't abandon this awesome project, KJ Jansson!

6. slackerpride

slackerpride Chieftain

So...is this the end of Zombie Shakespeare, KJ?

7. TC01

TC01 Deity

KJ Jansson hasn't been active (logged in) since June.

So it seems to be dead. At least for now. :(

8. KJ Jansson

KJ Jansson Prince

[MODCOMP] "1492: Gold Rush"

Few days ago I returned from a half-year long and a very interesting expedition. I visited many places and last five months was practically isolated from any internet news, including of course the games ones. However, when I returned home and visited the game forum, I found a lot of interesting news concerning both Civilization IV and Civilization IV: Colonization. Many modders continue their work and the interest to this game is present.

Despite at the moment I have to do a lot of things (return celebrations, preparation reports, presentations, etc.) I decided to make a small [MODCOMP] "1492: Gold Rush" that I hope will be interesting and useful for the CivIV:Colonization modders.

[MODCOMP] "1492: Gold Rush" will be presented this week.

Here only one screen from [MODCOMP] "1492: Gold Rush".

9. rchowhs

rchowhs Chieftain

In`t think making slaves an unit is a good idea.I prefer having it as an resources.Maybe having q new building call slave market, which convert slaves,to Hammer

10. KJ Jansson

KJ Jansson Prince

I guess the ideal case when two type of slaves will be.

Type 1: The slaves as resource as it present in [MODCOMP] Slavery Market. The Orient. Port-Royal.
    You can only buy/sell such slaves.

Type 2. The Slaves as units. Such Slaves can be captured in land/naval battles and can get freedom, then educated to some professions, or they can be used as usual slaves on your plantations (required - 50% less Food comparing to the normal colonist, have +50% in productivity, and the high possibility of revolt/escape if such slave is working without a slave-driver).

I suppose this idea will be historically correct.

11. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

Good to see you back onboard :)

12. rchowhs

rchowhs Chieftain

Thanks, KJ Jansson,
    so if a colony declare independence, and choose all man are free constitution, can all slave units turn iny
    to free colonist.

13. slackerpride

slackerpride Chieftain

Welcome back KJ.

14. KJ Jansson

KJ Jansson Prince

[MODCOMP] 1492: Gold Rush is ready.

"1492: Gold Rush" contains the following new elements:

1. New distribution of all resourses (both mineral and vegetatives),
    2. Two types of Gold deposits: hard rock gold mining and placer gold fields,
    3. Limited and exhausted mineral resources (ore, silver, gold),
    4. New logic in the Warehouse capacity calculation.

You can download here

Forum tread for discussion here. Here you can find many screens and guide for modders.

15. Sanghelli

Sanghelli Chieftain

Hey I have a few ideas around implementing slaves.

First of all I see them as being a resource that could be bought/sold but can be aquired in a 'treasure form'.

Such slaves can be only aquired from natives (albeit in several ways) and sold to Europe at a premium or used in a slave market.

Slaves can be aquired either by buying or by trading e.g. guns/horses with natives, the availability of slaves via this way should be determined from the native chiefs personality traits.

Using a slaver colonist class like a misionary but to recieve slaves (in a treasure-like unit) rather than Converted natives, but be given the slaves at defined periods rather than randomly. Again the effectiveness would be determind by the chief personality. Having a slaving base weakens relations with natives.

Or by simply conquering the native village, so as to get slave unit rather than a converted native which doesnt make sense as you distroyed their life, why should they want to work for you. (On a related side-note I belive if a native gives up a settlement due to culture that should result in you receiving a Converted native)

Or in peace negotiations e.g. you agree for a peace treaty in return for X amount of slaves. These slaves would either be given directly to your capital (in treasure form) or in the closest native settlement to your units.

Slaves can be used in a "Slave Market" line, which instead of effecting any resource directly they increase the % effectiveness like rebel sentiment does, but only for raw materials. I belive this is more correct than having them only effect Hammers, because that is more representative of forced labour whether it be in the cotton fields, construction, mines etc. etc.

During the DoI if you choose freedom then all stock would be changed to indentured servants or Coverted Natives.

Hows that for a first post on a forum:lol:

16. slackerpride

slackerpride Chieftain

I've always thought that Slaves should be units purchased at a high cost in a new Africa screen. They'd be units that you could place on a resource outside your sphere of influence - functioning like a small frontier town - that would produce small amounts of said resource. For each slave you have in the "town", the amount you'd collect would increase.

However, if you have too many slaves, you run the risk of a revolt in the frontier town. In order to help quell that, you have to place a veteran solider or two (or perhaps a new "Overseer" unit) in the town. This doesn't guarantee there wouldn't be a revolt, but it would help. If the slaves do revolt and kill your soldiers, they become their own armed and independent "Indian town" so to speak.

To get these goods you'd obviously have to send over a wagon train. An automatic option would be nice (also would be nice to set up an auto "trade with Indian villages" option for wagon trains too for that matter). Also, since these frontier towns would be outside your sphere of influence they could be snagged by competing countries.

When the WOI comes you need to have the option of freeing these frontier towns and possibly gaining a few units for the fight or keeping them and running the risk of revolting frontier towns (perhaps aiding the crown) during the battle of independence.

Just a few thoughts. Can't wait for this MOD to finally become complete (whenever that'll be). :goodjob:

17. Lib.Spi't

Lib.Spi't Overlord of the Wasteland

Wow this mod sounds really exciting! Downloading now!

Wow first impression looks really cool :-D

Is it on purpose that you can no longer buy things in the old world?? I cannot find a purchase screen on the europe menu? so no ships cannons or experts can be bought only hurried?

18. Terran Empress

Terran Empress Hornet

i would defiantly like to see more colonies, here are a couple suggestions, Portugal, Russia, Germany/Prussia, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, ETC. granted a couple of these just dont make seance, but maybe a couple would be cool to have.

Another thing that would be awesome would be when European powers go to war the colonies also go to war no matter what their political stance is. so if England went to war with France, the English colonies and the french colonies would go to war with each other even if they were allies.