1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

15 New Civ5 Screenshots Added to Gallery!

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Ginger_Ale, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

2. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Some of you may have noticed that the earlier 149 screenshots were taken down to comply with 2K...hopefully these 15 satisfy your curiosity!

3. Azazell

Azazell Prince

Thanks ;) .. and I`m so sorry for this situation :( I did not intend to get any profits from my action. My only goal was to popularize the game and encourage everyone to buy it. I was recless and I wasn't fair towards publisher but I wasn't aware of all regulations.

4. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

And you did popularized the game, Awsome job Azazell - you shoul get % from saled dvd's because you convienced many people to buy the game. Including me. You showed us that new doesn't mean worse. I'll gladly try new civ, and hopefully it'll be as modable as civ4 is.

Those kind of previews should be done more offten - you can really get the taste of the game before you unpack the game from the box.

5. TheGoldenMan

TheGoldenMan Chieftain

this is the main point. You shouldnt apologize cause its a clear 2K own slip up.

anyway thanks again, the screens were great!

6. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

:( That's just unfair.

7. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

You shouldn't have to apologize. I agree with everybody else -- those pictures sure as hell made me place my pre-order.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I too had some concerns about the game and was thinking about not buying the game even though I have purchased every Civ product since 1992. Azazell's screenshots showed me that the game will not be dumbed down and simplified, something that the other dry as dust previews failed to do. 2K's marketing has been substandard in my opinion. So, here's my support for Azazell and a big thank you from a loyal Civ fan. :)

9. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

The artwork in this game is beyond amazing...

10. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Yeah, it's a great looking game. I got pretty hyped with the screenshots :D

11. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I agree with what everyone is saying. This was the first time I was genuinely excited about Civ 5. It seems there is some sort of over-reaction going on there. I understand maybe it had to do with fairness towards various magazines and review websites, or concerns about revealing content of civopedia and such, but I am generally annoyed by the incredibly secretive game development thing companies seem to do these days. They just seem to take themselves way too seriously. I don't care if a screenshot shows a wonder that won't be in the game after all. I'm sure some other feature will be IN if something is taken OUT.

Every time a game comes out these days, it seems the people working there are so scared to say anything about it. Politically correctness abounds. It's kind of sad and puts a distance between me and the developers that should not be there.

Aaaaanyway... I think the 15 remaining screenshots were good choices ;)

12. spicytimothy

spicytimothy Warlord

Thank goodness I checked them all out in detail last night!!

Again I ask, please fix the way the rivers look at the source.

13. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I can't wait to mod this game, it's very inspiring. Watch as countless of major mods will be storming his game.

14. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

One will proably be Afforess and Zappara I think they will try to bring Rise of Mankind to [civ5]

15. Azazell

Azazell Prince

Yea !! Rise of mankind is the best mod for Civ 4 :)

16. cephalo

cephalo Deity

This will definately require some vacation time.

17. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

I wonder why on earth would 2K remove those 145 or so gorgeous screenshots? Don't they know that those screens could have attracted more potential players?

18. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

As mentioned before, it's to be fair to different media outlets - both online and off. It's in 2K's interest to let various bloggers and magazine writers get preview versions of the game so they can give early reviews and feed interest. However, without such protections, the very first person to get a review copy could publish all the information on their site, thereby driving up their own traffic and leaving very little for other media outlets to comment on, other than their personal experience. (Let's face it - first hand accounts are great, but with a game like Civ5, people want the details).

I know the knee-jerk reaction is "2K is evil - that's why!" but this is actually a benevolent action on their part. I mean, they're letting some fairly obscure people get in on this action. (No offense to Azazell). That indicates, to me at least, that they really do care about the community.

:goodjob: I'm glad things worked out for Azazell, and I don't think anyone would honestly believe that he did anything but an honest mistake, but sometimes we have to take a step back from our own personal, fan-driven interests in a game like this and try to see this from another point of view.

19. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

I daresay 50% of the reason I'll be getting this game is the Mods - primarily the inevitable Fall from Heaven III.

The core game looks incredibly solid and it seems like it'll be a great experience. Civ IV taught us that change for this series can be a force for incredible good, and so far Civ V seems highly promising.

20. Oatse

Oatse Warlord

fall from heaven's sequel is going to be a standalone game. i don't really see how it is going to work out since what made ffh good was that it was built on top of civ4's game mechanics. if kael's not careful his game is going to be overshadowed by both civ5 and elemental at the same time. ouch.