150 diplomatic nightmares

46. "You nuked our friend!" "With which we were and are at war!"

47. Gifting nukes to one side in a war, however, has absolutely no negative diplo effect in most games (technically, it's like gifting a couple pieces of gold or some such). No "you supplied our enemies with arms!", and only minuscule worst enemy trade :/.

48. "you negotiated a trade embargo against us! But...that doesn't mean we'll refuse to talk to the guy who accepted it. That would be too fair."

49. "Our close borders spark tensions...even though we settled our city as close as possible against yours with the express purposes of stealing its resources and be a general pain, and have pretty much caused the tensions. As a result, we're mad at you."

50. The random event where a spy of yours is caught operating on a high level in another nation's government...which the AI civ takes as a DoW by you...when said AI civ is locked into a defensive pact with the most powerful and advanced runaway AI civ in the world. :hide:

51. "We're doing fine on our own," says the civ who has five units and zero workable land tiles due to nuclear fallout. "Just you wait until our vassal Wang gets a hold of you!"

Looks like it was not mentioned here (but probably mentioned elsewhere a couple of hundreds times):

When AI asks you to go to war, you must accept or refuse immediately, that is declare or not at the same turn.

"Evil French must be destroyed, do you agree?"
"Sure, gimme a couple of turns to prepare arm..."
"NOW! DO IT NOW OR NEVER!!!!"
"Hey, be reasona..."
"FIVE SECONDS LEFT TO DoW ON THEM YES OR NO?!?!"

hated this since civ 1.

53. In a war I captured most of the Incan lands leaving them with just 2 mediocre cities on some islands. Later one of the cities I captured revolted and joined the Greek civ. :mad: Sumeria DoW on Capac (I could never spell his first name right) and captures one of his island cities. Then the AP declares that Alex must give the city that revolted back to the Incans. I want it back so I Dow on Capac and recapture it then offer peace in exchange for the only thing he had left of any value, the communism tech. He refuses so I invade his island and kill one of the 2 rifles defending his last city then I say to him...
"Now this is your last city. I have three rifles waiting outside. You only have one wounded unit left. If you lose your civ will gone, all the other leaders will mock you and you will be rated as Dan Quayle. So, peace for communism?
And he says "Just who do you think your dealing with Mallin."
And I say...
"Your MASTER!!!!" :king::ar15::ar15::ar15: :run:
The Incan civilization has been destroyed!

1000BC:
Shaka: Pleased towards Ragnar (+0)
Shaka: Annoyed towards Clam Spammer (+0)

There's a hidden bonuses "I like you", "I don't like you", "You've settled land that I want" smth like that

There's a hidden bonuses "I like you", "I don't like you", "You've settled land that I want" smth like that

Hidden modifiers are a pain. Especially the warmonger and "peacemonger" hidden diplo that causes them to dislike you from turn 1.

54. Just last night. OCC trying to get along with neighbor Isabella for space. Izzy asks me to declare war on De Gaulle. To keep Izzy at Friendly, I agree. Next turn, DeGaulle vassalizes to Izzy. "You have declared war on Izzy!"?!? So much for friendly Izzy.

55. Can't plot war vs someone during a peace treaty. Nope. Rather sail around the world to declare on the human rather than re-open a war with the hated neighbor, but only because we rolled a war decision during the 10 turn peace treaty.

This is doubly bad, because it allows an AI to hamper the human while it IMPLODES, moving all of its forces away from a neighbor that hates it and WILL sweep several cities once it sees the chance to dogpile.

56. Remember when spawned colonies would take on the diplomatic stance of a dead civilization and then promptly declare war on you? good times.

57. Geting boxed in by another civ, and when your polting your invation of him, he adopts your religon! You build the AP (after the pain it took too build since your people in the city hate you), the said civ is voted pope just when you start your invation army! another civ(Mongols :cry:) wants you to help you distroy him, your power rating: zilch. The mongols now are annoyed at you for declining. the civ you want to distory is now more powerful then you.

58. being stuck inside a steach of land, and Slatin (who is blocking the way out) is annoyed at you for no reason.

59. On a fractal map, Shaka originates on a special chokepoint, allowing him to settle 2/3 of the mass of a continent. I am also the blockade to his worst enemy, Pacal. Aware of -diplo mods for "close borders", I agree to open borders with him, after which he DoW's on Pacal, vassals him, and receives a huge tech lead. I could have rushed him, but being Hannibal I have no horses or metals, of which Pacal has both and all other sources are blocked off by Shaka's imba start position.

I'm aware of those hidden modifiers. IIRC, in that one game, Shaka actually got up to +3 and still annoyed... and attacked me, of course. (Took him out later though ;))

Another thing that just happened to me:

60. Qin shares my religion, and Elizabeth (with a different religion) is his worst enemy. I convert Liz to our shared religion, putting Qin back to Cautious with her (and thus no longer WE). 3 turns or so later, Qin still asks me to stop trading with her :sad:

60. Qin shares my religion, and Elizabeth (with a different religion) is his worst enemy. I convert Liz to our shared religion, putting Qin back to Cautious with her (and thus no longer WE). 3 turns or so later, Qin still asks me to stop trading with her :sad:

That's because Elizabeth was showing off her new tech, Horseback Riding, with Qin. :groucho:

"kcd_swede has become worst enemy of Catherine"
my sin? trading with her (now former) worst enemy Napoleon.
result: Catherine trades gunpowder to Napoleon.

LOL!

62. Worst enemy map hack detection

Although the recent thread about using caravels over on S&T suggests that the human actually has access to "legal map hacks" via demographic analysis, mapping land vs coast based on sound, and in another thread, mapping hills vs flatlands via move command queuing.

With enough patience and map script knowledge, it's possible to get a rough map of the entire world around turn 0 or so...but we still can't hack to see transactions between civs we don't know yet.

If you've not seen that thread or the analysis provided there by R_Rolo1, check it out, because that's stuff you usually only see in pitboss based multiplayer or very high level succession games.

63. So I'd just won a culture victory as Catherine and decided to have some fun. I Worldbuildered Suleiman out of my vassalhood, plonked in some grasslands and plains and annihilated him like I always planned. In celebration I granted independence to my New World colonies (read: the entire second continent. Yeah, I settler spammed.). This formed the Ethiopian civilisation, for... some reason, and all my vassals immediately broke away and started infighting. Hatsepshut somehow managed to declare war on me before becoming independent.
64. And in another game, Egypt (oh yeah, her again) asked me to help her fight (I think this might have been a RFC game, actually) someone (Arabs?). I throw a massive stack against a well-defended city, the last one, and end my turn, my troops exhausted...
And Hatsepshut ****ING ELEPHANT just WALTZES ON IN and kills the last wounded defender. I declared war on her, took the city, and then brokered peace. I've never trusted Egypt since.

).
And Hatsepshut ****ING ELEPHANT just WALTZES ON IN and kills the last wounded defender.

Same thing always happens to me. The worst has to be when I was about to take over a capital. I stupidly mistimed the whole charade and decided to kill the last enemy in the city with a helicopter, just to make the take over easier next turn. Then, the, you guessed it, egyptians, who I had capitulated in the very early game came over with a horse archer and took over the capital. I decided to declare war on her.

This was before I knew that you cannot declare war on cities you capitulated. This was also when I though world builder was just a map maker that you use to make new scenarios.

65. A huge Ragnar, on a seperate continent, with several vassals, at tech parity with you, decides its time to go for a culture victory. None of his legendary cities are on the coast :sad:

66. Astro comes in. You spend 15 minutes setting up sorely needed resource/gpt trades with a half-dozen fairly friendly nations on a faraway continent to ensure the health, happiness, and prosperity of you peoples for ages to come. Two turns later, the AP (that was, of course, built overseas in the name of a religion you will never have) votes to stop trading with your heathen a$&. :wallbash:

67. Roll a primo but isolated start. Find religion. Tech as best you can, get discovered by a wandering caravel while you are still sans alphabet. Everyone is annoyed with you automatically, and your overseas rivals include: Stalin, AC, Mehmed, Louis, and Bismark. Oh, and you have no oil. Hope you like defending against multiple destroyer/infantry/arty/cavalry stacks with frigates, ironclads, and non-PRO, non-AGG MGs, muskets, knights and cannons! :cry:

65. A huge Ragnar, on a seperate continent, with several vassals, at tech parity with you, decides its time to go for a culture victory. None of his legendary cities are on the coast
I had this exact situation happen to me! And, nukes had been outlawed... No chance of mounting a successful intercontinental invasion...
Luckily, I popped a GA and just barely beat him to my first cultural victory ever with the culture bomb!

68.Accidentally found a religion while you're the pope,which spreads far enough so that every ally adopts this new religion and switches to Theo-making the entire world hate you.

(Count:4)

69.Seeing you're the "strongest country in the world",going to war with your neighbor the weakest(after planning on it and seeing him so weak),and realizing his cities are pretty much made of spears and long/crossbows when you get there.

(Count:7)

70.Like the above,but his cities are desolate until you declare

(Count:10)

71.Going to war with Ragnar (with his habit of "magically" founding a city right near where you are and "magically" whipping 3 units the first turn of its existence...all 3 are pikes...and he killed your last sword...)

(Count:3)

Top Bottom