150 diplomatic nightmares

65. A huge Ragnar, on a seperate continent, with several vassals, at tech parity with you, decides its time to go for a culture victory. None of his legendary cities are on the coast :sad:

66. Astro comes in. You spend 15 minutes setting up sorely needed resource/gpt trades with a half-dozen fairly friendly nations on a faraway continent to ensure the health, happiness, and prosperity of you peoples for ages to come. Two turns later, the AP (that was, of course, built overseas in the name of a religion you will never have) votes to stop trading with your heathen a$&. :wallbash:

67. Roll a primo but isolated start. Find religion. Tech as best you can, get discovered by a wandering caravel while you are still sans alphabet. Everyone is annoyed with you automatically, and your overseas rivals include: Stalin, AC, Mehmed, Louis, and Bismark. Oh, and you have no oil. Hope you like defending against multiple destroyer/infantry/arty/cavalry stacks with frigates, ironclads, and non-PRO, non-AGG MGs, muskets, knights and cannons! :cry:

Try not founding early religion in isolation, and if you do use one go FR or NSR on contact so you aren't the instant object of hatred. Mind AI cheating and be careful with whom you trade until you know everyone. If the AI makes a demand in that time period, I suggest you cheat too, since the AI is doing it.

You can build destroyers, transports, battleships, etc without oil. In fact, there are two ways to do it.

As for inland culture cities -----> Nukes + paratroopers. Burn one on the turn you declare.

67. Roll a primo but isolated start. Find religion. Tech as best you can, get discovered by a wandering caravel while you are still sans alphabet. Everyone is annoyed with you automatically, and your overseas rivals include: Stalin, AC, Mehmed, Louis, and Bismark. Oh, and you have no oil. Hope you like defending against multiple destroyer/infantry/arty/cavalry stacks with frigates, ironclads, and non-PRO, non-AGG MGs, muskets, knights and cannons! :cry:
You deserved this one :p Painting a "kick the heathen" target in your backs can only lead there ....

Just won the hardest cultural victory of my life as Saladin earlier today.
My continent? All warmongers, half zealots. I found all but two religions. ...and suddenly there's a three sided holy war. With three religions I founded.
The worst part? The non zealots were backstabbers like Napoleon.

Try not founding early religion in isolation, and if you do use one go FR or NSR on contact so you aren't the instant object of hatred. Mind AI cheating and be careful with whom you trade until you know everyone. If the AI makes a demand in that time period, I suggest you cheat too, since the AI is doing it.

You can build destroyers, transports, battleships, etc without oil. In fact, there are two ways to do it.

As for inland culture cities -----> Nukes + paratroopers. Burn one on the turn you declare.

The range on the paratroopers was the issue. All his neighbors were his b***hes so basing them there was impossible. And in that game the UN had banned nukes but I know where you are coming from, I've used that tactic in the past to stop culture whores dead.

Good call on the FR/NSR thing. FR was out of the question but I could've prolly done NSR fine. I didn't found the religion in that case... Pacal did. I inherited it when I did what anyone else would do -- claimed Mutal in the name of the Khmer empire.

As far as building the destroyers etc w/o oil... how? I know uranium but that requires fission, no? by then I'd already been their naval punching bag for hundreds of years :sad:

@rolo: lmao "kick the heathen" :lol:

As far as building the destroyers etc w/o oil... how? I know uranium but that requires fission, no? by then I'd already been their naval punching bag for hundreds of years :sad:
I have 2 words for you, just two words: Standart Ethanol.

Reasons for other civs to hate your guts!

-4 "You have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion."

-1 "Past events have shown your true nature to us."

-1 "Our close borders spark tensions."

-3 "You refused to help us!"

-6 "You declared war on us!"

-4 "This war spoils our relationship"

-2 "We are worried about our rivals serving as your vassals"

-2 "You are trading with our worst enemies!"

-3 "You negotiated an embargo against us!"

-4 "You nuked us"

-5 "You razed one of our cities!"

-6 "You razed our Holy City!"

-1 "We've caught one of your spies poking around in our territory!"

Reasons for them to love you:

+1 "We care for our brothers and sisters of the faith"

+1 "You helped us."

+1 "Past events have shown your good nature to us"

+1 "Our trade relationship is fair"

Is there some kind of disparity here?

Not only do YOU (aka the Player) not care what religion other civs have, you also don't (and can't) care whether or not some other civ's spies are caught in your territory. You DON'T have any attitude toward any leader.
Talk about a political nightmare. :cringe:

You forgot about years of peace, shared military efforts, gifted cities, and a few others at least. But yeah, there's plenty of ways to annoy other civs and only a few ways to make them happy. The game wants to provoke conflict; it's easier to do that if it's hard to keep other civs pleased with you.

Reasons for other civs to hate your guts!

-4 "You have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion."

-1 "Past events have shown your true nature to us."

-1 "Our close borders spark tensions."

-3 "You refused to help us!"

-6 "You declared war on us!"

-4 "This war spoils our relationship"

-2 "We are worried about our rivals serving as your vassals"

-2 "You are trading with our worst enemies!"

-3 "You negotiated an embargo against us!"

-4 "You nuked us"

-5 "You razed one of our cities!"

-6 "You razed our Holy City!"

-1 "We've caught one of your spies poking around in our territory!"

Reasons for them to love you:

+1 "We care for our brothers and sisters of the faith"

+1 "You helped us."

+1 "Past events have shown your good nature to us"

+1 "Our trade relationship is fair"

Is there some kind of disparity here?

Not only do YOU (aka the Player) not care what religion other civs have, you also don't (and can't) care whether or not some other civ's spies are caught in your territory. You DON'T have any attitude toward any leader.

There are more, my colony, the Byzantiums, found like 20 reasons to worship me... not couting the you get your freeing your colony... :lol::lol::lol:

There are more, my colony, the Byzantiums, found like 20 reasons to worship me... not couting the you get your freeing your colony... :lol::lol::lol:
we care about our brothers in faith +7
defensive pact +2
opened borders +1
years of peace +2
shared war +5
favorite civic +3
our trade was fair +4
you gave us help +2

Justinian can be easily friended (maybe 2nd place after Gandhi) Diplo bonuses with him grow very quick & very high. Only problem against him is his insane REXing:)

I care when Sitting Bull poisons my wells every ten turns. I care when Shaka won't stop declaring war on me and sending waves after waves of impi to get mauled by my axes (and eventually maces), even though I've been nothing but nice to him. I care when Alex parks a stupid city right in my face for absolutely no other reason but for it to be there. I could go on. Those are all instant -3 for me!

we care about our brothers in faith +7
defensive pact +2
opened borders +1
years of peace +2
shared war +5
favorite civic +3
our trade was fair +4
you gave us help +2

Justinian can be easily friended (maybe 2nd place after Gandhi) Diplo bonuses with him grow very quick & very high. Only problem against him is his insane REXing:)

we admire your civics
you liberated us

of course you can (and should) care when the AI does things you dont like
i make sure to keep my attitudes and passions enflamed when the AI displeases me
in fact, its sort of an advantage for the player that we can see the AIs attitude (or at least some of it) while the AI cant see ours (indeed, it cannot even begin to comprehend the irrational human psyche).
also we're able to declare war at friendly

so... thats a diplomatic advantage in my book

Top Bottom