1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1500 gold limit to great merchant trading mission?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by charity, Apr 29, 2012.

1. charity

charity Chieftain

So I'm playing the Earth 18 civs senario as the French. I send a great merchant all the way from Paris to Beijing on the other side of the world. I made 1500. I started a new game as the Egyptians. I sent a great merchant from Thebes to Perespolis and made the same amount although the distance must have been 1/4! There must be a limit of 1500 gold per mission. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. ggg

ggg Chieftain

I don't think there is a limit. I have seen merchants get more than 2000 from a mission.

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I think there are several factors in how much you get from GM missions. However, running the mission in the city with Temple of Artemis will net you at least 200 more gold on normal speed.

4. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

In BTS at least distance alone seems to have no effect at all in terms of directly boosting trade mission value, instead the value depends on factors like population, ToA, Harbours, being overseas and things like that. More specifically its dependant on the trade multipliers (and maybe base value) of a hypothetical trade route from that city to your capital.

I suspect distance only comes into play to cap the value for large cities that are close together, the same way trade routes work normally.

Anyway try a search on the forums, the equation for the gold GMs get from trade missions is on here somewhere.

5. jokulmorder

jokulmorder Chieftain

did you go so far around the world that you came back almost to where you started from?

6. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

The Great Merchant gold is a little quirky - it is not related directly to distance nor to city size, but to trade route values. And actually, not even direct trade route values, but the value of a "virtual" trade route from the city you are performing the trade mission on to your capital. The exact formula on Normal speed is:

great merchant trade value = 500 + 200*trade_value (references 1 and 2)

where trade_value is the value that a trade route from the city in question to your capital would have.

In practice, this means that in the early game the city with the Temple of Artemis almost always gives by far the best gold return for a trade mission, regardless of how close or far it is (assuming you didn't build it yourself). Aside from that, the gold scales with the regular trade route formula - so you will usually notice jumps in gold values from cities on another continent (even just an island 2 tiles away), as well as larger and more distant cities. City size usually gives a better rate of return than city distance, due to the way that trade route gold is calculated (i.e. it's often better to go for a size 15 city nearby than a size 10 city on the other side of the world.)

So, in theory, there is no limit to the Great Merchant gold - or if there is one it's certainly many thousands above 1500 gold. The only hard limit would be if there's a cap on max trade route income - which there may or may not be (I haven't tested).

Hope that just about covers it. :)

7. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

^
    Can't read all for now, but does it mean Hannibal additional trade route helps to gain more gold, or is it proportional to the highest trade route of his?

8. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Only the highest value trade route counts, not the total number of trade routes. So, for instance, the city with the Great Lighthouse offers you no additional benefit relative to any other city at roughly the same size and distance. Likewise, the Cothon* won't give any additional gold for travelling Great Merchants.

(*Actually it would, but no more so than a regular Harbour. It's the trade multiplication bonus that counts, not the extra trade routes.)

9. Manco Capac

Thank you~~~:D

Such a shame ToA are often built inland capitals...to my experiences. Oversea coast city with ToA is pretty awesome on some occasions.

10. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

I've gotten like 4,500 late in the game. It definitely depends somewhat on era. Middle ages, you'll get about 2,500 for sending it to a foreign capital on another continent. It rises from there depending on how late in the game it is, seemingly. I play on standard maps, epic speed.

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Thanks for the somewhat clarifications. I always thought it only distance, pop, and diff cont.

While I see how these can influence it, I know it's not the total definition.

And I never know about the TOA impact. I'll pay more attention to that in the future.

12. Um the Muse

Um the Muse King

What difference would that make? Shouldn't the trade route value be the same whether it's coastal or not?

13. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

The correlation with era is a spurious one. What you're really seeing is that cities tend to get larger as the game progresses, which in turn increases the value of the trade routes, and consequently increases the value of the Great Merchant trade mission. There's no direct effect from era though.

A coastal city will have about the same trade route value as an equivalent distance, equivalent size inland city, yes. But here Tachywaxon was talking about an overseas coastal city, which would get a trade route multiplication bonus due to being on a different continent. It's that different continent bonus that matters. Whether it's on the coast or not is fairly inconsequential... it'd just make it easier to access with the Great Merchant. (Well, unless it has a Harbour, which multiplies the trade route bonus a little. Actually, that reminds me, the Cothon would get that bonus too - but no more so than a regular Harbour.)

14. Manco Capac

Yes, the harbour was the building that makes a coastal city a little better.

Anyways, we have to deal with what we have. In a simple fashion, ToA is the main conditions that leads the GMerchant to wealth.

EDIT: Nice word, ParKin. Spurious; fallacious. Always learning something new.

15. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Max I have got was 7200 gold (but thats huge/marathon game), and "target' city was size 21, other side of map and could be also custom house done there.. other times its around 4200-5100

16. charity

charity Chieftain

Thanks everyone for your imputs. It helps a lot.

17. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I've gotten 9500 gold many times on huge marathon maps. I seem to recall even getting 10500 once.