152.12 Slavers have default Bombard Range of 2

lukeloh

Chieftain
Hi Thal

I note that in 152.6 you gave pre-industrial Light ships a Range of 1. This is a great idea and makes the game more fun (at least for me).

To my horror however I found that Slavers can still bombard me at Range 2 even without any promotions. Should all barbarian class light ships be similarly limited to 1 till Industrial?

Thanks!

You're right, they aren't much of a threat. Without any other way to buff them it might be better to leave them with Range 2 - making them Range 1 may make it a lot easier for Settlers to sneak past on water maps.

Other suggestions:

1. (consistency) Grant the Range promotion to all Barbarian navies as default.
2. (strength) Default Range of 1, grant 10 or 30 xp to Barbarian navies.

Barbs don't accrue promotions from their experience, do they? I've surely never seen any barb promotion icons other than extra-movement-through-woods/hills/deserts, and then only in the early game.

I (halfheartedly) DEMAND equal opportunity for barbarians! :D

I find barb ships don't even attack me. Perhaps this doesn't take affect till era X? They kinda just run away from me as I track them down with my ships for + culture/gold

Barbs don't gain experience or heal in vanilla. I wrote code in VEM to heal fortified barbs (and ships), but manually coding experience would be much more difficult.

It is kind of unreal for barb ships to have greater range than the civ's ships. Gameplay-wise it's fine, but it's not good from realism point of view.

It is kind of unreal for barb ships to have greater range than the civ's ships. Gameplay-wise it's fine, but it's not good from realism point of view.

Heh, if you do some research, a couple people (back when the game first came out) pointed out this game isn't really realistic anyway. Regarding some history, tech's, terrain, the whole nine yards.

I think it's a good change, I've actually seen them attack me since the change for Range of 2. Regardless of the AI still being stupid. They don't attack often though.

Top Bottom