1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[154.0] Granary Boom opportunity

Discussion in 'Bug Tracking' started by skodkim, May 12, 2012.

1. skodkim

skodkim Chieftain

Hi

Just jhad the Granary Boom opportunity. One of the choices was having two workers for 600 gold (Marathon speed).

Having a hard time seing the sense in this as rush buying a worker costs 300 gold on Marathon speed.. :rolleyes:

\Skodkim

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

The base cost of a worker is 140, and marathon triples costs to 420:c5gold:. I started a game to test this and found workers cost 360:c5gold:. The discrepancy is probably due to Firaxis' poor decision to round purchase costs down 2 times in the formula, instead of once at the end, and the rounding error gets amplified in marathon's 300% bonus. Are you certain they cost 300 for you?

3. Thalassicus

This appears to be a vanilla bug. Unit costs are calculated in the game core only Firaxis has access to.

4. skodkim

skodkim Chieftain

OK. But if rush buying the units are cheaper than intended wouldn't the logical way to compensate for this just be to lower the price of that particular selection of the opportunity?

\Skodkim

5. Thalassicus

That would imbalance it relative to the other choices of the opportunity. Unless the underlying imbalance is fixed, anything we do to try to work around it will only cause new imbalances.

6. skodkim

skodkim Chieftain

On Marathon speed a worker costs 168 Production and 300 gold to rush buy. A Settler cost 450 production and 1280 gold to rush buy. On Marathon speed the Granary opportunity lets you choose between a settler for 600 gold or 3 workers for 600 gold, i.e. you get a huge discount on the settler (which I like) but the worker cost exactly the same as if you rush bought them.

How can it be imbalanced to lower the cost of selecting the worker option in the opportunity?

\Skodkim

7. Thalassicus

I think it might be better to disable the purchase cost exponent, and manually set purchase costs with a fixed formula. I believe that would ensure costs scale appropriately across all gamespeeds.