1575 BC - Turn 58

If we are to establish embassies, I suggest we do it in this order:
1) Elucidia
2) Poly
3) GameCatcher
Doing so would make possible to make formal alliances with our closest ally first and then with Poly. Concerning GC, I have doubts concerning their real intentions concerning us so we should only get an embassy if we're unsure about what they're doing to see what they're producing in their capital.

My gut instincts tell me that things are more tense between Elucidia (CDG) and Poly (APO) than they are between us and Gamecatcher (GCA).

I'm still awaiting the chat script from my conversation with Elucidia last week, and I think everyone will find that very interesting. I definitely got the impression that they were feeling around for a potential ally against Poly if need be (at the very least, they wanted to know that we weren't going to help Poly swords started swinging).

Very interesting indeed but my instincts tell me just to stay out of such a conflict if such conflict arises.

We definitely could not afford to send a large contingent of forces to their assistance. We will need all our forces (or a good number of them) home to protect ourselves from our own little problem.

However, we should try to assist in whatever way possible.

amirsan

Horseback Riding is indeed important to us, but I don't think we're going to have much free time to research that before going straight for Construction. But, we shall see. I imagine that once we do the Math trade, CDG will tell us how long before they get Map Making, and we can decide then.

Remember, while their researching Map Making, which costs 12 points, we're going to be researching Construction, which costs 20!

Embassies are good. Then we can sign formal alliances that when broken before 20 turns, everyone can see it thanks to the foreign advisor.

Btw, if we create an embassy, not only do we see the terrain of the capitol and inside the city, but they get to see the terrain of our capitol.

Actually I hate to be the Devils advocate, but why not help Poly? After our trade is done with CDG, it might be very beneficial to take some of there lands. It would also let us by pass BoP when we attack Gamecathcer. I think allying with Poly would give us an ally for sure. But if we attack GC first, we attack alone. As you can see there are more benefits in attacking CDG. Just an idea. Please don't think I am a back stabbing jerk. I am throwing around ideas, thats all.

Originally posted by FortyJ
amirsan

Horseback Riding is indeed important to us, but I don't think we're going to have much free time to research that before going straight for Construction. But, we shall see. I imagine that once we do the Math trade, CDG will tell us how long before they get Map Making, and we can decide then.

Remember, while their researching Map Making, which costs 12 points, we're going to be researching Construction, which costs 20!

Yes, I see your point. Thanks

Originally posted by croxis
Sorry Goonie, you are a back stabbing jerk ;-)
:lol:

not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

<><><><><>

We're not really in a position to launch an assault on anyone yet, but give us about fifteen turns or so and we'll see. By that time, we should have six (or possibly 7) cities and both iron and horses connected throughout our entire empire.

As far as trusting Poly goes, I don't... yet. They still have a ways to go to earn my personal trust. While they have not insulted us with blatantly lopsided proposals (like GCA has), they have often approached us with a measure of arrogance and superiority which I have found distasteful, if not outright offensive.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to crush any one of our three neighbors should the opportunity present itself. However, as the situation seems to be unfolding, it is quite likely that we will be at war with GCA long before we could realistically launch a successful invasion of CDG. That is why I would not be in any hurry to backstab CDG just yet.

I believe we should get an embassy at Catchopolis first. It would be very interesting to know where their capital is located, and how the surroundings look like.

I don't want to pay to give GCA access to our city info.

@FortyJ.

In what way have they been arogant? They were the only Civ who was openly honest to us from the get go. They have traded fairly and always tried to work with us. In my mind, they are our best neighboors.

It's just a feeling I have gotten in previous meetings with them, and I'm certain that I am not alone in my feelings. But I certainly wouldn't think they've been open and honest with us from the start. They have certainly stretched the truth in their previous negotiations with us.

Please do not allow your apparent personal admiration for them interfere with your duties as ambassador. They are the enemy. They may not be a direct threat at the moment, but they are the enemy and make no mistake about this: they would love to beat us in this game.

To summarize my feelings about our relations with our neighbors... I consider each of them to be both a potential threat and a tool to be used to our advantage whenever possible. I also believe these facts to be incontravertable:
  • GCA and APO are trading partners, if not more. APO has already admitted that they "owe" GCA for a previous trade in which they got the better end of the stick.
  • Because of CDG's location, they need us more than we need them. This puts us in a strategically advantageous position when dealing with them.
  • GCA will provoke a war before my term as president is complete.
Okay, maybe the last one isn't quite so concrete as the first two, but the way their units are "scouting" our iron resources gives me a bad feeling. If this is so, and APO is trading techs with GCA, then it is more likely that APO will come to their aid than ours. Eliminating one certain ally for a questionable one would not be prudent in my opinion.

Top Bottom