16th Spain vs 16th Ottoman Empire

hewhoknowsall

Warlord
Spain decides to start colonizing Africa; more specifically, Egypt (the Ottomans didn't control Egypt yet, did they). However, the Ottoman Empire figures this out. Alarmed by the threat that such a colonization will have on the nearby Ottoman Empire, the Sultan decides to lay claim to Egypt. Enraged, the two nations bicker over Egypt and it leads to a war.

The objective: take Egypt

Basically, it's a showdown between the two world powers of the 16th century.

First I build lots of caravels and load them with some pikemen followed by tons of longbowmen and conquistadors. Maybe a few trebuchets and then off load them next to Alexandria. Fortify some pikemen on the nearby isthmus and then march south.

Depending on what part of the 16th century we're talking about I might have to fight the Portuguese as well since the man in the pointy hat says Africa is their territory.

Ottomans. It took the combined might of Spain, Austria, and a bunch of Italian states to hold back the Ottomans. When was Lepanto again?

Apparently the Spanish and Turks both have the intelligence of gravel in this timeline.

Spain decides to start colonizing Africa; more specifically, Egypt (the Ottomans didn't control Egypt yet, did they).
They did.

Anyway, yeah, what LightSpectra said.

Well, if you joined my NES you could act it out....

Poland defeats both the Spanish and Ottoman fleets and conquers Egypt turning it into a Polish colony.

Poland defeats both the Spanish and Ottoman fleets and conquers Egypt turning it into a Polish colony.

It wouldn't really be a colony, just an expansion of their empire since Poland is as we all know, in North Africa.

It wouldn't really be a colony, just an expansion of their empire since Poland is as we all know, in North Africa.
Hmm, that explains the pointy brick monuments outside of Katowice. =\

But how did Poland get from South Africa to the north? That's almost 3,000 miles.

In all seriousness, the Ottomans would definitely win. I mean, they almost took over Vienna (they could have if they wanted to, but decided that fighting season was over). Could Spain do that? Althoug they were both rich and powerful countries at the time, I just can't picture them fighting over Egypt.

Yeah, the Spanish aren't stupid enough to send an army to Ottoman Egypt, because they'd just lose it. It would make far more sense just to trash the Barbary coast. Kind of like what happened in OTL, huh

Spain decides to start colonizing Africa; more specifically, Egypt (the Ottomans didn't control Egypt yet, did they). However, the Ottoman Empire figures this out. Alarmed by the threat that such a colonization will have on the nearby Ottoman Empire, the Sultan decides to lay claim to Egypt. Enraged, the two nations bicker over Egypt and it leads to a war.

The objective: take Egypt

Basically, it's a showdown between the two world powers of the 16th century.

So Spain, who failed after 30 years trying to protect just the City of Tunis from Turkish Pirates, is going to to try conquer the Egypt, a country on the far side of the Mediterranean deep in Enemy territory, just next to the Ottomans with Selim the Grim, the same Sultan who in his short reign, smashed through Safavid Pride at the Persian Empire's peak.

So my guess is... Spain will lose horribly to the Mamluks because invasion would had been the stupidest military decision in the world since Saintly King Louis' second attempt to conquer Egypt, even before the Turkish bother to intervene.
Then Egypt would become Turkish.
Then the Turks will continue to occupy the Mediterranean and rape it of its riches.

Depends on what part of the 16th century. Ottomans could more than likely rape the Spanish solo. Besides the fact that Spain wouldn't have the economic power to hold Egypt of all places.

Top Bottom