[Vote] (1-17) Proposal: Change how Bonus vs Domain works

Approval Vote for Proposal #17 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented. You can vote for both options.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 1, Proposal 17

Proposer: @azum4roll
Sponsor(s): @Recursive
Previous Discussion Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/23-proposal-change-how-bonus-vs-domain-works.679273/

Proposal Details
It's probably less known that Siege Inaccuracy, Naval Target Penalty and Naval Inaccuracy also affect the units in when defending against attacks from the listed domain. These promotions currently use the UnitPromotions_Domains table which affect both attack and defense against the listed domain. The table is also used by Targeting, Shrapnel Rounds, Air Targeting and Strafing Runs promotions, but it doesn't matter for the latter two as air units never defend against land and sea units.

I propose that these promotions should only affect attack, as the promotion names (Targeting, Inaccuracy, etc.) make people assume that these should only boost ranged attacks, and not also make the units stronger/weaker in defense.

Currently the table only has PromotionType, DomainType, Modifier and PediaType (unused) columns. We should add Attack and Defense columns like the UnitPromotions_UnitClasses table, and change all the above mentioned promotions to use the Attack column instead of Modifier. Promotion descriptions will also be changed to clarify they're for attack only.

Siege unit CS should be reduced by 33% to make them stay in OHKO range by same tier mounted melee units (essentially same behaviour as current).

As a result, siege units will be much more defensive against land ranged units; early ranged ships (Dromon, Galleass) can take some more ranged hits; and the archer line will be more resistant against naval ranged. Taking Targeting promotions will not make naval ranged survive longer against land ranged fire.

I LOVE the rock paper scissors mechanic, where I can one-shot siege weapons with my landship for example. This should be illustrated clearer though, and I'm all for simplifying or enhancing the naval war experience as well.

Land units have these strategies of having many units, while sea units are just ranged and melee. We need more types of ships.

Proposal passed on November 1, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom