1700 BC - Protecting the Iron City

FortyJ

Deity
I believe Gamecatcher has recently completed a Settler also. There is a chance that they may attempt to settle the iron site before we do. We should decide how we deal with this situation.

We could form a wall with our warriors in the area (although it will take a few turns for all three to arrive there).

We could also bypass settling the gold hill for now and advance our settler all the way to the iron city site. This would shorten the time to settle that site by about 5 turns, but will also delay settling the commerce-rich gold hill by about 6 turns.

We could also attempt to negotiate a solid border between our two nations along the cultural borders of Balance of Power. I consider this unlikely to succeed as they can see the iron and if there is no other source on their side of the isthmus, then they are going to go for that site no matter what we say.

I open this topic for discussion and encourage all citizens to participate.

I agree with croxis. I also believe we should attempt all avenues available to us in pursuit of this goal.

First, cover our selves by verbally tightening the border. No more excursions by GCA. We have been very lenient so far and will take no more.

Second, as 40J has proposed, send our Eastern warriors to form a blockade at the chokepoint. If at all possible, we will block any Settler they send forth. If this can not be accomplished, we can at least direct it or delay it.

Third, by-pass the gold when our Settler gets there and head straight for our chosen Iron location. Establish a city to secure the Eastern Iron.

Fourth, re-iterate to GCA that the border is sealed and any further excursions will be seen as an act of war.

Also, please put the color disks back under the units. Easy identification help with planning. Thanks.

Originally posted by Cyc
Third, by-pass the gold when our Settler gets there and head straight for our chosen Iron location. Establish a city to secure the Eastern Iron.
The Warrior in Shen Ling will actually be completed in 3 turns (thanks to our rapid growth). If we then produce a settler as planned, we can have it completed in 4 turns from that time (7 turns overall). If we switch immediately to a settler, we can complete the settler in 6 turns.

This means that bypassing the gold hill, will result in a delay of either 6 or 7 turns in settling that location. Coincidentally, we could end up settling the iron city and then the gold hill immediately afterward if we take this route.

Originally posted by Cyc
Also, please put the color disks back under the units. Easy identification help with planning. Thanks.
You are absolutely correct. I hadn't even realized that they were turned off, which is surprising as I almost always play with them on. I will endeavor to ensure their inclusion in future updates.

Quoting 40J:
Coincidentally, we could end up settling the iron city and then the gold hill immediately afterward if we take this route.

Me thinks this is the best way to go. Both the Iron and Gold cities will be started about the same time. The important one being the early creation of the Iron city.

I would agree with settling the Iron first. We cannot let them have swords when we mass out side BoP!

On another note, do we know if they can see our other Iron?

I'm certain that they know of both our 2 iron sources. However, they cannot see beyond Shen Ling and I therefore doubt that they know that those are our only 2.

How do we know how far they have seen? They couldn't get close to the cities cause they would cross the borders then, but they may still have seen a lot. Especialy to the north. Do anyone know how many and where their warriors on our land are?

Anyway, I support that we move directly to the Iron City and that we switch Shen Ling to a settler right away. Why are we building a warrior there?

And since so many are talking about blocking the way for GCA and that doing so might lead to war: I would like to block the way too, but can we manage a war with them?

Whether we can or not, we must convince them we can.

I don't think they would attack if we had a maignot line. It's to risky for them so early in a game.

I beleve we should strike clame to that Iron source before they even touch it.

Incase if they do (Note this message is encrypted for future use I will decyper the message when the time comes):
Code:
UGNLY XUNPI UUOKA YLJKY NJSOA VEEBI LAIJJ YDPJJ BBXYN NADEB 
DLDBF EAKWF JQDCL QBQXV COLEZ IVZAU ZCVGC ZMTTT YBTPO ALVPD 
GCHYV YEPLR FZKIC ACCSP ICZPL QVBSO ZEEEL PZGYI MRETF NCTJF I

Enigma settings:

Rotors: II, I, V
Ring: 10, 8, 20
Poss: R, P, G

Gold first, but get the warriors to protect them and slow them down.

Go for the blockade. Only their anger would stop us, and I doubt that they'ed attack this early in the game. In the event we do form the maginot line, I will send a communication to Ekelektikos explaining our action.

ok, [color=e354g]WE NEED COMMERCE NOW[/color] I have NEVER seen such financial problems this early in a game EVER. Assuming we get two corruption, we will get 4 commerce right of the bat AND 4 free units, not just 4 free units.

We are losing 3 GPT in the beginning of the game with only 2 buildings and running no luxeries with a mere 60% science

We decided to build up cities insetad of making new ones, and we are still behind in commerce and production, along with land area and population. WE MUST GET THE GOLD NOW!

As I said in another thread, the settler will still use two turns to get to the gold hill tile. In that time we could have gotten more information about the GCA settler.

I have changed my mind, I believe we should settle the gold first.

Top Bottom