18 civs on standard map. Prince level. Winable?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Sportyatuncw06, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Sportyatuncw06

Sportyatuncw06 Warlord

I am a long time civ player who was content to mop up on noble until recently. I have being trying to step up my game and have picked up a lot of tips from this site, and can win easily on prince, even monarch on duel, tiny and somewhat on small maps. I used to play tiny or small maps on fast speeds because I like short games but have realized that on harder levels slowing down the speed makes a big difference. I started adding extra civs to the game to make it more interesting (for example playing duel with 3 AIs or tiny with 5 or 6 AIs. I also sometimes raise ocean levels to decrease landmass. This also helps to make the civs closer and easier to conquer early in the game. Diplomacy has been the most lacking area of my gameplay and I have tried to improve this area and stepped up to normal size maps. I increased the numbers of AI to 18 playing at epic speed and had some early success but can't sustain it. 18 civs is complete chaos and no matter how good my start is I get crushed. I need some tips. Speciffically the two areas I am struggling with the most are production (I am always 10-18 in this category no matter what I do) and diplomacy (I seem to trade well and usually have descent tech pairity but "friends" will declare war unpredictably and the AIs love to gang up on you). One Last note, I turn off random events and diplomatic victories.

2. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

This should be a pretty easy setting - the AI will be very crowded and not able to expand at a normal pace. Are you starting with warriors first? You should be able to get a second capital by simply building 4-5 warriors and taking the nearest AI down. Some axes or chariots should then be able to take 1-2 more. With 3-4 capital cities, no reason you shouldn't be able to dominate from there.

Are you specializing your cities? On prince with these settings, a couple decent cottage cities and a couple production cities should be enough to overwhelm the AI.

Sometimes it's easiest to post a save and show with some screenshots where you're having trouble, but this is a setting that should be pretty easy to win.

With someone like mongolia, chances are you could wipe out half the AI before they even get longbows.

3. peapd

peapd Chieftain

Post the 4000bc save. That's the only way to get a good answer.

p.s. Someone will beat it.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Correct. As long as you don't hand us a 1-off coast capitol without the ability to settle a 2nd city, a prince 18 civ game should be very easy for people who play above prince.

5. Sportyatuncw06

Sportyatuncw06 Warlord

Prince should be pretty easy but where I struggle is in the mid game mainly. I have tried a couple different tactics all with the same results: Larger or more advance civs attack me and smaller ones gang up on me. I have done an archer rush and axmen rush and expanded to become the largest early only to be unable to hold on. The biggest problems are production and diplomacy. I can't get my production up higher than about 10th and expanding the empire spreads out my army leaving me vunerable to other civs sneaking up on me. Even civs I have favorable relations with declare war on me because they perceive me as weaker or because I am already at war and the see an opportunity to jump in. Any tips on ways to increase production and keep AIs from ganging up on me?

6. Sportyatuncw06

Sportyatuncw06 Warlord

BTW I don't even know how to save and post screen shots.

7. peapd

peapd Chieftain

If this is the last game you've played, there should be an auto-save.

It'll be called AutoSave_Initial_4000bc or similar. (not on my civ computer now, can't check)

Most likely located in: Documents > My Games > Beyond the Sword > Saves > single > auto.

If I got this wrong, anyone want to clarify?

8. goodolarchie

goodolarchie Warlord

^^ yeh should be right.

@OP

If you're new to prince, you might find this a very fun game because it will have a smorgasbord of diplomatic options for you (war, peace, trade, vassal, religion, alliance, etc). You should also have no problems tech-brokering and unless one of the civs had a super-imba start, you should pretty easily have the tech lead. This would be a good game to practice an early rush (relegate some land for later), and beeline to liberalism! Good luck.