19 civs not enough... Petition Fraxis for more and better geographical balance

covenant

Warlord
19 civs is just not enough to fairly portray the world.

I petition Fraxis to include 30 and while I would like to say they would be distributed evenly its difficult with my western education, so I apologize for that.

Sorry if you dont agree with my list. It is in no way absolute. Just trying to get my idea out there. Suggestions welcome.

Americas: (5)
America
Iroquis
Maya
Aztec
Souix or Apache

Europe: (9) (They get more to cover the ancient civs as well)
England
France
Vikings/Germany
Spain
Russia
Rome/Italy
Greece
Dutch or Portugal

Africa: (5, I lack enough knowledge of African history to make this list accurate)
Egypt
Zulu
Carthage
?
?

Middle Easterm (5):
Persia
Sumeria
Ottoman
Hittite
Babylon

Eastern (6):
India
China
Japan
Korea
Malaysia
Philippiens

Without going into the specifics, I imagine Firaxis will come up with a more balanced list than the lopsided democracy of a predominantly European/Western fansite.

NO

is anything, 19 is too many. More will some with expansion packs, and moddrs will add more, they're focus should be on the engine, not something that can easily be added to both by firaxis and the community

So of us would like a complete game without having to resort to mods and expansion packs. I'd prefer they work on both gameplay and # of civs.

some of us would like to have civ come out before we're dead

ybbor said:
some of us would like to have civ come out before we're dead

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I'll go with that one. "Release it before I'm dead, plz, thank you." :)

- Sirian

I'd prefer to have a beer that is both great taste and less filling... But some expectations are just unreasonable, so you have to pick one ;)

The (horrible) analogy goes further -- you ask for the one that you have LESS control over, and take it upon yourself to do something about the one you have MORE control over. Just as it's smarter to take a better tasting beer and take the time to exercise, it's probably smarter to ask for more game play in Civilization 4, and take it upon yourself to grab more Civs after.

Let the development team focus on the really important stuff, rather than doing for us what we can do for ourselves.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I don't understand how you can petition Firaxis if you don't know which civs will be in Civ4 at all. Isn't it somewhat smarter to wait and see and then form a conclusion?

Frankly, I will be happy with 19 civs 'out of the box' IF those are just the playable civs, with lots of minor nations filling up the left over spaces. As others have said, that is more than we got with Civ3 Vanilla, and I am sure we will have over 32 by the time Civ4 has run its course.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Frankly, I will be happy with 19 civs 'out of the box' IF those are just the playable civs, with lots of minor nations filling up the left over spaces. As others have said, that is more than we got with Civ3 Vanilla, and I am sure we will have over 32 by the time Civ4 has run its course.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Idem. Wait for the expansion packs. Gameplay is King. :king:

Geez.. next thing you know, people are gonna want 3-D graphics, too... :eek:

:mischief: :lol:

h4ppy said:
So of us would like a complete game without having to resort to mods and expansion packs.

Sorry, that's just not how the industry works. A franchise is built upon expansions. If your plan for developing the game doesn't show how you are going to sell expansions, you will have a hard sell to the publishers.

Theres no need for realistic geographical balance IMO. What Firaxis should worry about is to include as many countries as possible where the game has a big fan-base. That means tons of European countries, America, and I guess China, Japan and Korea. The rest is just fillers really.

Those who want realism and obscure civs are most often those who are also willing to wait a while for a mod, or even make one themselves.

Dont get me wrong, I started playing mods since the first few weeks after Civ3 release, and have done since then. Im just saying that the casual gamer, if you will, care more about playing as their own country than playing with geographical balance. The people wanting to play with civs like Mali and Siam, which many people havent even heard about, should have to wait.

Just make it so there's no harcoded limit on modded Civs, and I'll be happy.

Gabryel Karolin, I definitely respect that opinion. I'm definitely of the option that some Civs are underrated, and other Civs are overrated. If they include Korea to hit the large number of gamers there, and include but a single African civilization, I'll ultimately be okay with it...

... only if the game play takes a brilliant stride forward.

(And only if the editor is powerful enough to break the hardcoded limt on modded civs. My opinion is if they hardcode that limit, then they're basically ransoming the community to pay 30 bucks for an expansion pack.)

dh_epic said:
(And only if the editor is powerful enough to break the hardcoded limt on modded civs. My opinion is if they hardcode that limit, then they're basically ransoming the community to pay 30 bucks for an expansion pack.)

yeah.
hope they love game almost as much as they love $. :mad:

In Civ3 there were technical reasons for the limit on number of civs. Even the expansions were forced to live with the limits. It had nothing to do with money (well, not charging the customer more money - heck, even we couldn't change that and we had the source - okay, we could have but it would have cost us too much to do it).

North King said:
Just make it so there's no harcoded limit on modded Civs, and I'll be happy.

And let's give out 2 GB of RAM with it and free 160 GB hard drives, too. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom