19.com a dos utility to format floppy disks in 1.9 megabytes

DoomMetalGr

Chieftain
Some time ago i found a utility that i was able to format my floppies in 1.9 megabytes. That utility actually worked if you modify the config.sys and autoexec.bat in order to boot with ms-dos 6.22.

It seems i lost the only disk that i used as a boot disk and i cannot find it... Does anyone have heard about that utility.

it was called 19.com or something and it was a freeware program.

The top google search result for format floppy disk 1.9 mb is this thread, so you're probably not going to find it. I suspect all it does is compress the drive or something, since you can't magic up an extra 500kb out of nothing.

The top google search result for format floppy disk 1.9 mb is this thread, so you're probably not going to find it. I suspect all it does is compress the drive or something, since you can't magic up an extra 500kb out of nothing.
Incidentally, I do recall that Macs could store 1.6MBs on HD disks, and Amigas 1.76MBs. Though IIRC, whilst they used exactly the same floppy disks, it required different hardware in the drive (spinning at different speeds I believe), so it's unclear if such methods are anything to do with what this DOS app did.

I have to wonder why the OP needs such a thing now?

I'm sure that I also used one such utility back in the days of Windows 95, though I believe it formatted floppies for 1.68 or 1.72MB capacity. DOS/Windows read those disks just fine. And it did work with regular hardware. But the floppies written that way were even less reliable that the regularly formatted ones.

But why on Earth would someone need that now?

Check Winimage, it may still support those odd formats and if it does it will be able to write them to floppies.

Wikipedia lists 1.72 MB as the largest common floppy format for regular floppy disks. The regular floppy disk article does mention that the unformatted capacity is 2 MB, so it's possible you did find such a program, but I haven't heard of one.

What I've used is DMF format. It gives you 1.68 MB, which I took advantage of to move a program that was just over 1.44 MB to an old laptop that only had floppy, modem, and infrared as communications methods. WinImage might have been the program I used to format it but that was before I joined CFC, so it's been awhile and it could have been something else, too. Either way, I didn't run into any trouble on either an '03 XP desktop or a '97-era laptop running Windows 98 SE, both with run-of-the-mill floppy drives.

Hi, I got that programme. It is called 2M SuperBoot 2.0 - a version I bought in mid 90s and under DOS it could format 1,44MB diskettes to 1,9 MB and many other sizes as well (also true for 1,2 MB floppies). If you still need it, reply to this thread or PM me. Maybe your sw was called and programmed by somebody else, so if you still got those floppies, this may not make it compatible and read it, but you can try it. I can email it to you.

Hi, I got that programme. It is called 2M SuperBoot 2.0 - a version I bought in mid 90s and under DOS it could format 1,44MB diskettes to 1,9 MB and many other sizes as well (also true for 1,2 MB floppies). If you still need it, reply to this thread or PM me. Maybe your sw was called and programmed by somebody else, so if you still got those floppies, this may not make it compatible and read it, but you can try it. I can email it to you.

Since DoomMetalGr hasn't posted here in about four years, I suspect they're probably not going to respond to your kind offer/thread-necro. Welcome to CFC, though. :)

Top Bottom