1900 AD and Warriors?

Azash

Kings of Shadow
I was playing multiplayer with a friend the other day, and set up a quick game with a long duration - 800 turns or something. Everything went as normal, until we noticed it was 1900 AD, around the time we started on Code of Laws. Wtf?

Well, did you ever bother changing your civic and/or research budget? I also find that when I am in the scientific lead it is advantageous to give old advances away freely to help others catch up and possibly research something else i can trade for later. Trading techs is one of the most important parts to keeping a decent scientific pace that is comparable to real history. Civ4 is also designed to counter the exponential expansion of a civ by breaking your budget with every new city(this can also put the breaks on your research). A good factor IMO when I see expansion/militaristic CIVs in earlier versions like the Mongols and Zulu that have dozens of cities(usually run out of names real names and start to found cities like New Samarquand or New "" etc.) but a heck of an anitique military.

I personally find that when I play in normal mode, my science progresses slightly later than real history, but when I play in Epic and Marathon I usually enter the Industrial ere in the 1st Millenium AD, despite the higher research costs.

Also important is early on train a few scouts and find all thos goody huts you can because they can usually yield a new tech up until the late ancient era when they cease to yield tech and than you just get like 50 gold or a regional map(practically pointless).

No! Of course I was at 100% research! I meant it bugged so badly that, even though no more than fourtyish turns had passed, it showed "1900 AD".

Wow, 1900AD and you're just staring in on CoL? That's something that I've never seen before.

(Given the title of the thread)
Personally, I like to keep one warrior floating around, usually in my capital. They're useless in the later stages of the game, but, oh I don't know, call it nostalgia from back in the days of CivI.

Azash said:
No! Of course I was at 100% research! I meant it bugged so badly that, even though no more than fourtyish turns had passed, it showed "1900 AD".

Ahhh, that makes more sense

I've had that numerous times. I think it's a bug with the way the game keeps track of the date during a multiplayer game. Try checking the timeline on the score/GNP/etc statistics.

Seems to me like yet another manifestation of the rotten arithmetic in the game. In this case it can't count; often it can't multiply, since when you are told "double production speed with **** " what you get is the addition of a value equal to your base production, which if you are getting any production bonuses does not mean completion in half the time; often it can't subtract, since production carryover (a most excellent feature) is never what you'd expect although for GP production it gets it right. And how it often gives my GNP as a negative value defies logical explanation.

Top Bottom