1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

1900 AD - XX Century World map ( WW1-WW2 )

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Scenarios' started by MaxRiga, Oct 24, 2010.

1. openair

openair Chieftain

How about doing something about the various levels of unhappy each civ starts at? The US starts at 34 unhappy. Rather rough hole to dig out of.

2. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

you always have possibility to use civil polices at the start the way u want. Also, you can earn some money and spend it on buying resources from abroad. Or you just have to buy Call of Duty and admit that civ5 is too hard for u :)))

sry, I will fix it on the next update

I don't remember, but you can easily find it in "custom maps" section of the forum.

3. openair

openair Chieftain

LOL nice lowbrow assumption jack... Ill go with option 4: Play scenarios with some effort put into balancing them.

It has nothing to do with the scenario being too hard, its more that i dont want to waste my time playing a scenario that is claimed to be "technological and military balanced" while putting what should be one of the strongest countries at a crippling disadvantage. While playing as Britian or Russia it would be nice if the US wasn't a complete broken joke.

Balancing half the of game does very little when similiar super powers such as Britian start with 10 less unhappeness, less negative income per turn, and more starting funds and more unimproved luxury resources within their borders. Any military balance at the start of the scenario will be all but forgotten when the US spends 50 turns (VERY unhappy for twice as long) digging out of unhappeness while Britian, Russian and China only spend 10 turns and another 40 producing units.

If the US was setup the way you did because in your experience they proved too strong then i suggest you went too far with the unhappy or should unhappy britian further, and that would have been a far better responce then "Call of Duty lol." And makes me think i should go look for someone actually interested in feedback.

Edit: Also i could be wrong, but imo, the AI appears to have a hard time picking appropriate policy starting so deep into unhappy that they could possibly fix by other means.

4. xxJFKxx

xxJFKxx Chieftain

mate, you are mistaken.
    US not broken at all, you need to invest your civs in round one and start building happy buildings. i came to a overall happiness within 10 rounds, the second great thing is that you have plenty of resources and canada ruled by england and mexico is a very small challenge. once you have them its almost impossible to land in north america.

in fact, the US is the most easy country, followed by UK, china and france. i am a bit upset about germany, they are pretty weak in my games ... same about japan. considering that germany was the most powerfull nation before ww1 they should be a little tweaked (maybe with resources or with great person improvments).

5. openair

openair Chieftain

For the 2nd time... Its not that playing as the US is hard, its that the US just starts in so rough a shape they dont make a good opponent when played by the AI.

I just took everything but washington playing as Japan (one of the civ's you noted as "weak") at turn 78.

6. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

in 2 turn the trade with capital kick in and they make money
    any way balanced yourself that why world builder is for
    also change levels of nation lower and you play on 8

7. Mirrorsword

Mirrorsword Chieftain

So I started playing this scenario since it looked cool but the fact that the game was advancing so many years per turn bugged me. However I figured out how to fix this with a simple mod. The mod makes the game advance one month per turn on marathon, 3 per turn on epic, 6 on standard and 12 on quick. Unfortunately It only shows the year in game and I can't figure out how to get it to display the month.
    Anyway I thought this might be useful for you. The only important part of it is the GameSpeed.xml file which has the relevant code.

Thanks for making such a cool scenario!

Attached Files:

8. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

Mirrorsword
    thank you very much, I'm going to upload your mod on the front pages of my scenarios. You can also make some additional mods for the scenarios, if you want ( such as realistic city towns or time for my 1400ad scenario )

To all
    new version of this scenario is up. As usually I've made lot of little adjustments to make the game play more balanced for different nations.

9. Mirrorsword

Mirrorsword Chieftain

I tried out the mod I made for a full game (played america and won via Spaceship), but it seemed like time was going by too quickly as I had won by 1953. so I changed the speeds so they should match up exactly with a regular game of civilization. For example on standard for the first 120 turns the speed is 12 months per turn then for the next 60 turns the speed is 6 months per turn.

Attached Files:

10. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER Supporter

Nevermind- will give it a try

11. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

it looks like this scenario doesn't work after I've installed new patch. How about you guys?

12. YourDeath/TSAR

YourDeath/TSAR Chieftain

Warsaw was russian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

It worked for me and boy, how DIFFERENT this scenario feels after the patch.

Seriously, this scenario was great before but now its pretty much perfect. The AIs sign Defensive Pacts now. Germany hasn't been wiped out yet and diplomacy has improved greatly.

The only problem I've seen (so far) is that the US has an....interesting start. They start with -22 unhappiness, which is Rebel spawning territory so unless the human connects luxuries or builds happiness buildings quickly, rebellion could break out in the US.

Interesting to say the least.

Oh, the Russians and Japanese are at war and seem to be fighting to a standstill so there doesn't seem to be a problem of Runaway AI yet.

14. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

Sonereal
    lol, you make me badly wishing play my own scenario and i can't :))) It doesn't launch. But I'm glad that this is my own problem and people can play it without problems.

If I ever be able to launch it I make corrections to match new patch.

YourDeath/TSAR
    Yes, I know that Warsaw was Russian at 1900 but I had to let Europe to be a bit bigger place for maneuvers.

15. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

I think you'll be quite impressed with how well it works in your scenario. Playing as the US right now, I can say that the Mexicans properly respond to a militarized border. Since it's possible to see if the AI is friendly, neutral, guarded, and hostile now, you can also see how their feelings actually affect the borders. When Mexico was just guarded, they had put a rifleman or two on the border and fortified them (actually fortified, not moving them around randomly!).

Then relations soured and became hostile so I sent an infantry unit and had a fort built on the border and they responded by bringing up a cannon.

Russia and Japan's still fighting to a standstill. Germany attacked Italy and that war was also fought to a standstill. I noticed that in Russia though, there's a city with its HP reduced greatly so I think they're gaining inroads.

Meanwhile, England keeps trying to get me to attack France with them but I keep denying their request.

Question: The US had built a transcontinental railroad by 1900 but in-game, it's a road. Was that for gameplay reasons or a mistake?

16. Lord Ainsbirth

Lord Ainsbirth Chieftain

Hello Max Riga,

Thanks for your excellent scenario!
    I quit playing CIV 5 and returned to Civ IV, but your scenario was quite good enough to forget how bad is Civ 5 ;)
    Just a couple of suggestions:

1) Why not to change Arabia by the Ottomans?
    2) Why not to change Egypt by India? Both of them were British Colonies, but I think it might be more interesting to see India in Asia rather Egypt.

Anyway, thanks for your scenario... it is really funny!

17. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

Sonereal
    I've managed to play my scenario on new patch. Yeah, it looks completely different but damn, AI now builds too many cities and scenario is getting too much overloaded with information too soon. So it crashes ( freeze ) as the result.

Lord Ainsbirth
    Thank you for your support.
    1) Why not to change Arabia by the Ottomans?
    My logic is that Arabia is not actually a country but whole Arabian Middle East and it's much bigger then just Turkey.
    2) Why not to change Egypt by India? Both of them were British Colonies, but I think it might be more interesting to see India in Asia rather Egypt.
    I was thinking about the same but the scenario is limited by amount of civs so I let Egypt stays because there is no any other African nations.

18. electrocoffee

electrocoffee Chieftain

Yes... fix it please... i've started for Russia and conquered warsaw in 3rd turn to correct the mistake =)... 20 turns later whole world was against me...

other mistakes are insignificant... There were no Murmansk in 1900, Romanov-on-Murman was established in 1916... and there certainly were more railroads in Russia then just Moscow-Petersburg... Transsiberian railroad was already on the way... SPb was connected with Vladivostok in 1903 (Chinese Eastern Railway, КВЖД)...

population of Russia is interesting too, its 6 time lower then German or British...

p.s. if you correct all of that, Russia will be invincible against european countries... lol

19. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

you have answered the question your self why I haven't done all the changes you listed above.

20. PEACE!

PEACE! Lord.Moldovian.Guy

is it me or did u forget about Bucharest?