1900 Scenario Thoughts and Ideas

I have a hard time picturing France winning unless the scenario were set up to make it totally impossible for Germany to win, fwiw. Even war games with better AIs than Civ4 have trouble with that

I have a hard time picturing France winning unless the scenario were set up to make it totally impossible for Germany to win, fwiw. Even war games with better AIs than Civ4 have trouble with that

Averaging out the wars, it should be Russia that overwhelms Germany while France either holds out or collapses, while Britain turtles on the island.

What will entering and exiting the world builder do exactly?
Exit WB, then enter it again. Do it every time you add units from a non-existing civ (dead/not yet spawned)

I don't know how to change the phyton to make non spawned nations spawned. Could some enlighten me on those techincal aspects.

I appreciate all of the responses to the thread here, and I defeinetly want to point out that this scenario would take a generalist appraoch to capture the feelings of the era as a whole while combing gameplay concerns. At least most nations will need to be somewhat fun to play - even if that sacarfices some historcial details.

One thing I do want to get right however, are the overall colonical empires which exisited. I am concerned that Great Britian could easily be over powered so I may give them less of a tech advantage as consequence.

Will be very hard to balance Britain (too strong) and Germany (far, far too weak). With how Civ works, probably impossible.

Will be very hard to balance Britain (too strong) and Germany (far, far too weak). With how Civ works, probably impossible.
Make Canada, Australia and some parts of India be the vassals of Britain, not territory.

Make Canada, Australia and some parts of India be the vassals of Britain, not territory.
I mean that would be appropriate for both Australia and Canada, Australia became independent in 1901 so it's close enough. That said, it would require also adding Australia to the scenario which would be another technical hurdle. India isn't perfect but perhaps India is likely to respawn?

What will entering and exiting the world builder do exactly?
I believe it removes the "hollowed out" effect you mentioned. Like it forces them into the game. But I might be wrong.

If you want to add civs to the scenario, you'll have to go into Civilizations.py and give them some starting techs. IIRC there's some other things you have to do that I can't remember. You're also going to have to alter the code to allow for a fourth scenario. No idea how to do that.

If you want to add civs to the scenario, you'll have to go into Civilizations.py and give them some starting techs. IIRC there's some other things you have to do that I can't remember. You're also going to have to alter the code to allow for a fourth scenario. No idea how to do that.
oh dear that makes me feel lost, I am not sure what you mean by allowing a fourth scenario, if its a separate file... why would it need to be permitted.

Canada will be a separate nation,
if anyone was made a vassal, that nation would be unplayable, because I do not think human vassals are impossible.

Britain may have just few cities in Australia, and its Indian cities could have a low population at the start- even though it's inaccurate.

Last edited:
Germany will be given more technology to compensate.

oh dear that makes me feel lost, I am not sure what you mean by allowing a fourth scenario, if its a separate file... why would it need to be permitted.
Many of the game's systems work differently depending on the scenario. One that comes to mind immediately is that there are three dictionaries within Civilizations.py that match civs to their appropriate starting tech. If you added a fourth scenario, you would have to add a fourth dictionary and reprogram the game to use it.

I know very little about adding additional scenarios. @Leoreth would know far more.

Many of the game's systems work differently depending on the scenario. One that comes to mind immediately is that there are three dictionaries within Civilizations.py that match civs to their appropriate starting tech. If you added a fourth scenario, you would have to add a fourth dictionary and reprogram the game to use it.

I know very little about adding additional scenarios. @Leoreth would know far more.
I am afraid I have little coding experience, only in CSS and Java , very little in python.

I think that pre-establishing a Great War is unnecessary. It's practically inevitable knowing the AI, and if the player really wants it to go a certain way, it can go a certain way.

I think that pre-establishing a Great War is unnecessary. It's practically inevitable knowing the AI, and if the player really wants it to go a certain way, it can go a certain way.
Not the war itself, however, some relationship modifiers could be put in place easily, at the very least most of the default modifiers from the 1700 AD scenario would be removed.

Not the war itself, however, some relationship modifiers could be put in place easily, at the very least most of the default modifiers from the 1700 AD scenario would be removed.
Well for example you can alter the diplomacy so that right civs start with defensive pacts/good relations. If you set it up the AI will knock it down. Considering everytime I play the late game the European AIs are still fighting continuous multinational continental wars well into the 21st century I don't think you'll have any problem with the AI not cause the Great War. The harder thing would be modelling the USA's late entry into the war... and virtually any American contribution as AI are typically uninterested in naval assault.

Well for example you can alter the diplomacy so that right civs start with defensive pacts/good relations. If you set it up the AI will knock it down. Considering everytime I play the late game the European AIs are still fighting continuous multinational continental wars well into the 21st century I don't think you'll have any problem with the AI not cause the Great War. The harder thing would be modelling the USA's late entry into the war... and virtually any American contribution as AI are typically uninterested in naval assault.

I was thinking along similar lines; my initial thoughts were to have an "Entente" bloc (Canada-England-France-Russia) versus a "Central" bloc (Austria-Germany-Ottomans) of defensive alliances, leaving America, Italy, and Japan free to choose which side they want to join (or, if an AI, likely not do anything at all). This will need balancing of course and there are a number of candidates who could be added to each side (e.g. Portugal on the "Entente" side, etc.) but I was struggling to try to keep it feeling even.

Canada will be a separate nation,
if anyone was made a vassal, that nation would be unplayable, because I do not think human vassals are impossible.

Britain may have just few cities in Australia, and its Indian cities could have a low population at the start- even though it's inaccurate.

I definitely agree that Canada should be playable (and hence, not a vassal) from the start of the scenario as, to me, part of the big attraction of this scenario is to be able to play as all of the late-spawning civilisations from the start. However, have you ruled out all vassals from the start? I would suggest that some of the older spawning civilisations could start as vassals to try and limit the power of some of the bigger nations while still representing something closer to history. In terms of specifics, I was thinking:
  • Egypt as an English vassal (representing British occupation of the Khedivate of Egypt)
  • The Moors as a French vassal (representing the French protectorate over Morocco, although they could also easily be independent)
  • Congo as a Dutch vassal (here representing Belgian Congo)
  • Mongolia and Tibet as Chinese vassals
I think these last two are important to attempt to weaken China and reduce the amount of land available to them. As some other people have mentioned, it could also be used in combination with India/the Mughals/the Tamils as vassals of England to lessen the amount of land they directly control, but I'm not so sure about that. Regardless, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the matter!

I was thinking along similar lines; my initial thoughts were to have an "Entente" bloc (Canada-England-France-Russia) versus a "Central" bloc (Austria-Germany-Ottomans) of defensive alliances, leaving America, Italy, and Japan free to choose which side they want to join (or, if an AI, likely not do anything at all). This will need balancing of course and there are a number of candidates who could be added to each side (e.g. Portugal on the "Entente" side, etc.) but I was struggling to try to keep it feeling even.

I definitely agree that Canada should be playable (and hence, not a vassal) from the start of the scenario as, to me, part of the big attraction of this scenario is to be able to play as all of the late-spawning civilisations from the start. However, have you ruled out all vassals from the start? I would suggest that some of the older spawning civilisations could start as vassals to try and limit the power of some of the bigger nations while still representing something closer to history. In terms of specifics, I was thinking:
  • Egypt as an English vassal (representing British occupation of the Khedivate of Egypt)
  • The Moors as a French vassal (representing the French protectorate over Morocco, although they could also easily be independent)
  • Congo as a Dutch vassal (here representing Belgian Congo)
  • Mongolia and Tibet as Chinese vassals
I think these last two are important to attempt to weaken China and reduce the amount of land available to them. As some other people have mentioned, it could also be used in combination with India/the Mughals/the Tamils as vassals of England to lessen the amount of land they directly control, but I'm not so sure about that. Regardless, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the matter!

Remember if they are vassals they cannot be playable. I was thinking on ruling out vassals due to the technical questions involved. I was thinking these regions would be made to be independent. (Except in Congo's case)- which would be under direct Dutch control.

As for China, it may be weak enough already ( as it will not have all of its cities, and might be technologically behind) but we will see. I do know I want all playable nations to have a chance to at least avoid total conquest.

You suggestions, however, are a good starting point, if I do include vassals, and remind us of the sphere of influences operating at the time.

I have to say I am really concerned about the coding challenges- I still don't know what adjusting the code for 'allowing' for a fourth scenario even means, I would be willing to try something out but I can't guarantee anything on that score. I have been working on the world builder, mostly focusing on Old World nations and empires before I figure out how to make the post-1700 countries work (not have empty circles for cities).

Remember if they are vassals they cannot be playable. I was thinking on ruling out vassals due to the technical questions involved. I was thinking these regions would be made to be independent. (Except in Congo's case)- which would be under direct Dutch control.

As for China, it may be weak enough already ( as it will not have all of its cities, and might be technologically behind) but we will see. I do know I want all playable nations to have a chance to at least avoid total conquest.

You suggestions, however, are a good starting point, if I do include vassals, and remind us of the sphere of influences operating at the time.

I have to say I am really concerned about the coding challenges- I still don't know what adjusting the code for 'allowing' for a fourth scenario even means, I would be willing to try something out but I can't guarantee anything on that score. I have been working on the world builder, mostly focusing on Old World nations and empires before I figure out how to make the post-1700 countries work (not have empty circles for cities).

I think China should not be so weak after 1900. After Siege of the International Legations, China have never been a loser until now (Although it give very very much blood compare with any other country in the world). I think Siege of the International Legations give all of us (Yes I am Chinese actually) know that Scientific and Industrialization is the only way to become stronger, we should not only buy the Europe/America weapon/Railway but also produce it by our own by ANY KIND OF METHOD (including being a guarding dog of USSR to bite America in Korea/Want Nuclear rather than Pant/Any other spy method to be a thief Haha)

Top Bottom