1900 Scenario Thoughts and Ideas

It's here, in the general tutorials section. It's about vanilla BtS, so you don't have to download the source code. Instead just use the DLL sources included in the mod repository.

But I need to install the two other links?
And I am sorry... but I am still unsure what to do after I download them. Is there a 'scenarios' place where the code is clear?

Basically, follow steps 1+2, then in step 3 instead of the linked repo you use the DoC repo. It includes its own *.sln file that you can open in step 4.

Do get an idea about the scenarios code, do a full search of the entire project for "scenario", it will find some BtS stuff that has nothing to do with the mod scenarios but also turn up some hits for SCENARIO_3000BC etc. constants. What you have to do is to add a SCENARIO_1900AD constant, and insert it in the places where the other constants are used. It should be mostly clear from context. Some instances of that are not strictly needed to make it work but others are.

Hi everyone,

I've always been a pretty big advocate for a 1900 AD scenario. It would delight me to have one to play. To that end, I've tried to contribute a tiny bit to this project. I have created a tentative city map of what the 1900 AD scenario would look like. I've focused on Eastern and Southern Asia and non-Polynesian Oceania. Spoilered below are my ideas for 1900 AD city placement. I only considered Asia east of Lahore, explaining why Central Asia is untouched.
Spoiler :
20181207004714_1.jpg
20181207004703_1.jpg
20181207004647_1.jpg
20181207004643_1.jpg
20181207004631_1.jpg
20181207004615_1.jpg
20181207004539_1.jpg
20181207004529_1.jpg
20181207004519_1.jpg

Obviously, the cities would have improvements, buildings, defenders, etc in the final iteration. The purpose is more to see WHERE these cities should be. Especially in places like Siberia and China, I heartily welcome contributions from other forum members more informed on those areas than I.

Some notes:

Some areas of Sibera are painfully empty, because I do not know what cities should be placed. I welcome suggestions.

Although Korea would not be formally annexed to Japan until a few years after 1900, because this was a crucial development for Japan and is otherwise unlikely to happen in an acceptable timeframe organically, I have Japan start with Korea already annexed.

England will probably be hilariously overpowered if it directly controls all of Australia, New Zeeland and India from the start, not to mention their African holdings. I am definitely open to having those cities be independent.\

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I've always been a pretty big advocate for a 1900 AD scenario. It would delight me to have one to play. To that end, I've tried to contribute a tiny bit to this project. I have created a tentative city map of what the 1900 AD scenario would look like. I've focused on Eastern and Southern Asia and non-Polynesian Oceania. Spoilered below are my ideas for 1900 AD city placement. I only considered Asia east of Lahore, explaining why Central Asia is untouched.

Obviously, the cities would have improvements, buildings, defenders, etc in the final iteration. The purpose is more to see WHERE these cities should be. Especially in places like Siberia and China, I heartily welcome contributions from other forum members more informed on those areas than I.

Some notes:

Some areas of Sibera are painfully empty, because I do not know what cities should be placed. I welcome suggestions.

Although Korea would not be formally annexed to Japan until a few years after 1900, because this was a crucial development for Japan and is otherwise unlikely to happen in an acceptable timeframe organically, I have Japan start with Korea already annexed.

England will probably be hilariously overpowered if it directly controls all of Australia, New Zeeland and India from the start, not to mention their African holdings. I am definitely open to having those cities be independent.\

Cheers
Mongol is in China hand at 1900

Mongol is in China hand at 1900
Correct, which is what is represented on the map. Russia had control of Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude (and Lake Baikal), while China had control of Ulaanbaantor. Unless I'm radically misunderstanding the map, the map is acceptably accurate for Mongolia. The borders aren't perfect, but I'm not going for perfect borders.

Shouldn't Malacca and Kuching be under British control?
Of course you're correct. The map I was referencing puzzlingly shows it under Dutch control, even though I could've told you from my own knowledge it was not. I guess I took my thinking cap off when I put my city-making one in mind.

Speaking of Indonesia, looking into the situation of New Guinea closer, it looks like Ambon and Merauke should not exist, replaced by Jayapura 2N of Merauke, capitol of Dutch New Guinea.

Not a bad map. Some suggestions:
-China should have Nanjing as a city
-Taoism should be more common in South China especially, Buddhism less
-Might it not be better to have China already full of independent cities? A small Republic of China in the area around Guangzhou or Nanjing isn't accurate for 1900 but would capture the general thrust of early 20th century history much better than having a stable Qing monarchy
-No reason to have Protestantism in Calcutta or Mysore, Calcutta should also definitely have Islam
-Maybe it's okay to have Christianity in Sri Lanka, but most Sri Lankan Christians are Catholic, not Protestant. There are also more Muslims than Christians in Sri Lanka; Hindus too. Might be best to have only Buddhism
>Might be okay to have Catholicism in Saigon? More Christians in Vietnam than Sri Lanka and they were more important too

Really appreciate the feedback. Some points:

While I agree in theory that China should have Nanjing, the reality of the map means that Nanjing would have to be literally adjacent (No tiles of space in between) Shanghai, which is a problem for several reasons. Given the choice, I would prefer the map feature Shanghai over Nanjing. Unfortunate, but until we have a bigger map both cities can't be featured.

Your idea of having China start in a tougher position is interesting. Republican China starting against the threat of a strong Japan and strong Independent cities is pretty interesting.

Don't take the religion of the cities currently to mean anything. I'm basing this map on the 1700 AD scenario, ergo everything you see here is brought forward from that start. I've taken notes of your religion suggestions though. Cheers.

No British Hong Kong? I know it's the same problem with Guangzhou-Hong Kong as Shanghai-Nanjing but seems historically relevant.

Not a bad map. Some suggestions:
-China should have Nanjing as a city
-Taoism should be more common in South China especially, Buddhism less
-Might it not be better to have China already full of independent cities? A small Republic of China in the area around Guangzhou or Nanjing isn't accurate for 1900 but would capture the general thrust of early 20th century history much better than having a stable Qing monarchy
-No reason to have Protestantism in Calcutta or Mysore, Calcutta should also definitely have Islam
-Maybe it's okay to have Christianity in Sri Lanka, but most Sri Lankan Christians are Catholic, not Protestant. There are also more Muslims than Christians in Sri Lanka; Hindus too. Might be best to have only Buddhism
>Might be okay to have Catholicism in Saigon? More Christians in Vietnam than Sri Lanka and they were more important too
IIRC the plan was to make China already the RoC.

Looking at Zaddy's great suggestions for city placement, it does make you wonder why you would build a lot of Siberian cities when playing as Russia.
  • Vladivostock is cut off by marsh if there is anyone in Manchuria, or not buildable at all if there is decent Japanese culture.
  • Nikolayevsk-na-Amur has no useful resources.
  • Magadan has fish, so maybe it's ok?
  • Ozernovskij make sense for the whales, but isn't necessary to win so may be a stretch too far.
It does highlight how good the other changes to make Siberia more hospitable were though. It's good to have in-game reasons to expand.

Top Bottom