1969 - First Contact

The Doctor can survive vacuum for brief intervals.

It's actually a Second Doctor story I'm thinking of... but it's been years since I last read the novelization (never actually saw it on TV - I think it might be one of the missing ones).

Could it be "The Moonbase"?

Indeed; a lot of American actors are Canadian, English, Australian...

wait ... You're saying that Canada is in America ... ?! :wow:

:mischief:

just kidding ;) hehe

but I'm pretty sure that Australia is a whole different continent :D ;)

Its an insult to our national honor if we can't plant the flag where we choose. Pile up some moon dirt and plant the flag in that. Flag planting with honor.

I wonder if our drive to become a space-faring species would have been stronger? WWII was noted for its high taxes and pseudo-voluntary rationing. Would we have devoted more of our budgets to science, technology, and industrial development? While we might currently have iPhone equivalents, due to the adoption of military technologies by the private sector, I don't know if we'd have such cheap genomic sequencing.

I wonder if we'd have a better sense of the relative importance of our efforts, or would we continue to mostly be a slacktivist society?

The development of the transistor came about because of the war effort and advances in radar/microwaves. I would guess that without the war, its development would have been slower and our digital age, later than we experienced. War for all its evils, does move technology along faster than peace.

Top Bottom