1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1984, Faranheit 451, and Animal Farm- Real or Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tombeef, Mar 29, 2006.

1. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

Maybe it wasn't less in the intentions, but with modern technology much more can be done than back then.

2. covok48

covok48 Chieftain

There's always the threat of totalitarianism in any country under any government, even the US. There, I said it.

But this notion of "The USA is becoming a facist state" is overstated at best and fabricated at its worst by those who still have an axe to grind with the current administration *cough* liberals *cough*. These "eerie" similarities were no differnt then Conservatives ostricized the Clinton Administration.

And by judging by the posts so far on this topic, it's just another way to bash Bush.

3. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Can you define liberty? Can you define freedom? I was under the impression that the two were interchangeable.

4. tombeef

tombeef Chieftain

Woops, typo. I meant liberty for security.

:wallbash:

5. Danghis Khan

Danghis Khan Your Friendly Pillager

What exactly is a "minor" freedom? Aren't they all important, and who defines which is minor?:confused:

The US is a long way from totalitarianism, but neither is it the beacon of liberty that it once was. The idea that individuals can be imprisoned indefinitely without charge violates some of the most basic ideas of liberty - heck, the English barons figured that one out 1000 years ago.

6. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

This fear that 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and other such dystopia tales might be coming true, is old hat. This fear has existed since at least 1930, probably a lot earlier.

Each side demonizes the other. The liberals never were really trying to dumb down American education and aid a Communist conquest of the U.S., and the conservatives were never really trying to convert everybody to Christianity and kill off all the gays. Problem is, it's a lot harder to line up your ideological foot soldiers if your liberties (that is, those liberties you value, as opposed to the ones you're trying to take away from people) are not actually being threatened.

The only real threat to America at the moment is a few paranoid nutcases making a lot of noise and distracting everybody from stuff that's actually important.

7. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

I had simply assumed that you did, since you started the discussion.

My definition and your definition of "empire" must be very different, because I do not view the United States as an empire.

There's a reason for this, and that's if you put Carl Sagan's face on a box of Wheaties, people wouldn't buy it.

8. RameNoodle

RameNoodle ND Number 1!

Its really like the so-called "Bible Code." Its just people with these huge fantasies of huge government conspiracies trying to make something out of absolutely nothing. Total BS, in my opinion.

9. RameNoodle

RameNoodle ND Number 1!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

P.S. Sorry for the double post, I just didn't realize this was here before my first post, but it's a great quote.

10. batteryacid

batteryacid Chieftain

You forgot another disturbing book, which might be more relevant in future (in my view more inventive than the others)- Brave new world
    Because I think that the question in what ways science should be implemented in our lives or our society will be more and more important the more science enables us to do (I think especially about genetics - somehow most sci-fi writers fancy too much with Hyperdrives and big lasers instead of thinking what impact even today´s aviable techniques can have on our society). Huxley (and this is really astonishing and separates him from many other writers) did nothing more than REALLY think the implication scientific knownledge to an end - with disturbing results, even for things known in the early 20st century

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

My sentiment when I see claims like this being made is pretty well expressed by this poem by Hilaire Belloc:

The accursed power that stands on privilege
    (And goes with women and champagne and bridge)
    Broke; and democracy resumed her reign
    (Which goes with bridge and women and champagne.)

12. tombeef

tombeef Chieftain

Well, my comparisons were to be a starting point for discussions.

As for the US being an empire, it is considered to be the most powerful country in the world (although not necessarily the most liked).

As for your third statement... :lol:

13. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

The problem also is that so many things are kept secret by governments nowadays.. that too is a problem. Think about ancient Athens.. if there was threat of a war, the entire demos would be called up to a meeting and a decission would be taken. Nowadays all the important info is kept to the executive power.. parliament hears almost nothing if anything at all.