1991: what a year for music

Actually, we need a new Nirvana/Seattle Sound that would upset the boring sounds of the tunes we here 24/7 on the radio or Mtv.

well dont look for it from seattle. we are still too hung up on the past to progress towards the future.

The future is on the internet, in ever fading and yet dividing cubicles where artists are without record company and make money with gigs, where new sounds are being shared, absorbed and transformed into new and expect a boom of artists like M.I.A. or bands who transform and adapt like Radiohead.

well dont look for it from seattle. we are still too hung up on the past to progress towards the future.

In twenty years we will look at this era and compare it to to the dreadfull eighties:lol:

Close, Godwynn, but there's actually three there. The Pixies, REM and Nirvana.

Pearl Jam...

EDIT: The Seattle scene IMO takes precedence over all those others listed. Only 1969 was a better year.

The future is on the internet, in ever fading and yet dividing cubicles where artists are without record company and make money with gigs, where new sounds are being shared, absorbed and transformed into new and expect a boom of artists like M.I.A. or bands who transform and adapt like Radiohead.

More bands should make their newest albums payment-optional. In Rainbows was pretty good, actually.

1991 was good, but 1993 and 1976 were better. 1995 was probably also better.

1991 ushered in a whole new genre imo and it absolutely qualifies as a pivotal year in music history. i often think of this exact topic from time to time when perusing the radio dial - out w/ the hair bands and in w/ the flanels!

and please, don't put country music in w/ this music...it's borderline sacrilege!!!

i would mostly agree with you. I think modest mouse has been getting better and better, i have not heard the whole of their latest album, but the 3-4 songs i've heard from their new one on kexp are high quality. death cab has a few good songs and they have a big following. and the somewhat new bands 'the cavesingers' and 'band of horses' seem promising, the couple of songs i've heard leave me wanting to buy their albums. in the hip-hop scene, the blue scholars seem to be enjoying success lately, although they aren't anything like sir mix-a-lot. anyway, i am hardly an expert on the seattle music scene, but i don't think there is anything out there that can compare to ten, dirt, badmotorfinger and course nevermind. and when will we get another Jimi Hendrix? (although, to be fair, i think the UK has more claim over his fame than does the US). I live in Jimi's childhood neighborhood (as well as 1 block from sir mix a lot's) and you can still overhear people talking about knowing him or his family, 35+ years after his death. now that's legacy.

i thnk we need a wave of recent arrivals to help seattle ditch its air of pretentiousness, maybe that will free the creative juices for the musically inclined.

i would mostly agree with you. I think modest mouse has been getting better and better, i have not heard the whole of their latest album, but the 3-4 songs i've heard from their new one on kexp are high quality. death cab has a few good songs and they have a big following. and the somewhat new bands 'the cavesingers' and 'band of horses' seem promising, the couple of songs i've heard leave me wanting to buy their albums. in the hip-hop scene, the blue scholars seem to be enjoying success lately, although they aren't anything like sir mix-a-lot. anyway, i am hardly an expert on the seattle music scene, but i don't think there is anything out there that can compare to ten, dirt, badmotorfinger and course nevermind. and when will we get another Jimi Hendrix? (although, to be fair, i think the UK has more claim over his fame than does the US). I live in Jimi's childhood neighborhood (as well as 1 block from sir mix a lot's) and you can still overhear people talking about knowing him or his family, 35+ years after his death. now that's legacy.

i thnk we need a wave of recent arrivals to help seattle ditch its air of pretentiousness, maybe that will free the creative juices for the musically inclined.

the rub is of course, modest mouse and death cab were popular for years locally, even regionally before the big time. blue scholars are enjoying success but it still seems to be like blackalicious type success in 1995: regional and local.

I really enjoy the blood brothers but i really wouldnt call them something that is new or changing in the face of music. the best hope seattle had recently was the postal service but that got co-oped into being advert muzak.

ITT: same ole years and same ole bands get fellated

U2 - Achtung Baby
Nirvana - Nevermind
and
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

are the three top CDs released in 91. it was a great year to have ears.

Achtung Baby remains one of the best albums of the last twenty years.

Achtung Baby remains one of the best albums of the last twenty years.

ONE OF THE BEST

It is the second best u2 album in the past 20 years.

The best is Joshua Tree (released oh, exactly 20 years ago)

Meh, I only see two good albums, and they were both from Seattle and launched the grunge movement.

I prefer the fall of your avatar's nation.

LAUNCHED the grunge movement? LAUNCHED? =le gasp=
Nononono, that was The Melvins' and Green River's fault.

Top Bottom