1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

19Delta's War Factory

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by 19Delta, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

ok, that's cool, I remember you sent one to me, something was weird about the way it looked, so I went ahead and made my own model.

2. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I've exported all of the parts of my K1 to truespace format. If anyone wants to use them I would be happy to e-mail them to you. I'm still trying to figure out Bryce and go beyond modeling on Blender, so I won't be releasing this one my self (unless of course I figure it out in the next few days or so). I do have a question for wyrmshadow though. I watched your tutorial for Bryce, but I don't have a blue background, and I don't have anything in the edit materials menu. How can I get those things? I have the free version of Bryce 5. Does that have anything to do with this problem?

3. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

Look for the template in my 1st post in my Tutorials thread. That's the bryce file I use as the standard for all my things. It's unusual that you dont have anything at all in your materials library.. Also I made a lot of my own textures by importing images, not difficult, just gotta find the right button in your materials editor.

4. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

Thanks, I didn't even notice the template was there. Where do you import your textures for your materials library? By the way, the Blackjack wasn't too sloppy was it?

5. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

Wow, you really do wonders with Blender 19Delta! :goodjob: I downloaded Blender a while back but found it too awkward to work with. I take it Blender is better for creating complex shapes than Bryce is?

6. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

I havent taken a really close look at it yet but Im sure that I will have to modify it somewhat with spare parts that I have. If you don't have ANY materials to work with, try going to Renderosity.com. They have a bunch of free stuff. Or.. while you're in the materials editor, to the left of the Specular Halo color is a little dial. Its the randomizer, click it and presto you got a random texture.

7. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

Thanks man. I do know that you will have to modify the bombay doors. I got to looking at them and I realized that they were supposed to be long and narrow. The ones I put on there are fat and short.

@Gary: From what I understand, blender is a very powerful program once you learn all of the little tricks and things with it. I found that the blender noob to pro guide helps a lot if you follow it step by step. You can find it at wikibooks. I think that bryce is really meant more for animating 3d models already put together rather than creating them from nothing.

8. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

Does anyone know if a US M110 series howitzer has ever been made, or if a model exists?

9. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

#1. No
    #2. I have a model.

10. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

Think I could get that model from you?

11. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

It's been a while since I posted anything on here, but I've been experimenting on adding some textures for my K1. I think that I've finally settled on a proper camo scheme, but it still seems a little cartoonish to me. I would appreciate some feedback from the community. Maybe someone has some suggestions for this part of the process.

K1.jpg

Thanks go to wyrmshadow for the current progress. Without his help I would still be staring at a gray model in blender wondering what to do next.

12. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

Reminds me of NATO MERDC type cammo.

13. Birdmanz

Birdmanz Chieftain

14. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I've been looking for a good ROK army camo pattern much like the first link that you had there. The pattern has to be the vehicle pattern though. ROK army uniform patterns are different. I haven't been able to find one, so I decided to go off of several pictures that I downloaded. I'm not completely happy with them (mainly because they look so cartoonish). If anyone has some tips to make them look closer to the pictures, I would appreciate it.

15. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I redid the textures a little bit. All I really did was make the green a little bit darker. Here it is again.

K1.jpg

16. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I've viewed the tutorials and I've been messing around with this thing in Bryce, but I can't seem to figure out what to do. I know this is probably beginning to annoy the piss out of some of you, but someone is going to have to break it down to me caveman style. Right now I'm at the point where I have textured the tank and I am ready to animate it. Maybe I haven't viewed the right one of wyrmshadow's tutorial, but I haven't been able to get on the internet in the evening time due to connection problems with my DSL. I just need someone that doesn't care to waste their time on me to walk me through a couple of these animations. After that, I should be able to do the rest myself. Thanks, and sorry for any trouble that I may cause.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

You're trying to give us toys and you're apologizing? :crazyeye: Tsk, tsk. ;)

Best,

Oz

18. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

I think you have the pattern down pat. Reminds me exactly of the ROK vehicles I saw.

19. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

Ok, basics:
    You have a model (lets make it a tank). It consists of a left tread, right tread, main chassis, turret, barrel.

Assumption: you use 15 frames of animation for each anim (not a requirement) I have used both less and more.

In default Animation:
    You open your Bryce scene. The camera angle is set to the correct position. The lighting is correct. The camera is parented to the ground.
    You add a series of animation controllers. Invisible objects which you move to control the motion of your unit. This is similar to BONES in other 3d applications. Anywhere there is a joint there is a need for an anim controller.

Create Animation controllers
    So create a MAIN anim controller called TANK contoller postion it at the center of your tank on the ground. Lets all this Main_anim_tank
    add another position it in the middle or tread_right, and call this anim_tread_right, make another for the other side called anim_tread_left
    Add one in the center of the rotation point for the turret, call it Anim_turret
    add one exactly at the base of the barrel, call it anim_barrel
    Finally add one called Anim_chassis (at the center of the chassis body)
    note: this is a simplified version you will typically need more controllers than I am outlining, I just do not feel like writing a book today.

Group your model
    Now the model should be partially ungrouped. The grouping should match the animation groups. 1 left tread, 1 right tread, 1 chassis, 1 turret, 1 barrel group

Parent animation controllers
    Now all the BASIC controllers are in place. Parent the right tread to the right controller, left tread to the left anim contoller, turret to it's controller, barrel to its controller, turrent to its controller.
    Next parent the barrel controller to the turrent controller, parent the turrent controller to the chassis controller parent the chassis controller to the MAIN controller, parent the tread controllers to the MAIN controller. (note: you might alternately want either a single tread controller or want both tread controllers parented to a Main_Tread_Anim and parent that to the MAIN controller).

Basic settings recap
    Your tank is grouped in to the followinr groups:
    Left Tread, Right Tread, chassis, turret, barrel
    These are parented as follows
    left tread -> Left Tread Anim ctrl -> Main Anim Ctrl
    Right tread -> Right Tread Anim ctrl -> Main Anim Ctrl
    Barrel -> Barrel Anim ctrl -> Turrent Anim Controller -> Chassis Anim Controller -> Main Anim Ctrl
    Turret -> Turrent Anim Controller -> Chassis Anim Controller -> Main Anim Ctrl
    Chassis -> Chassis Anim Controller -> Main Anim Ctrl

Set initial key frames
    Now go to File menu and Animation setup and change the Duration Frame # to 15. (0-15 = 16 frames, this will give you 1 extra frame of animation which you will delete later to make for SMOOTH looping).

here I will use the Frame number not the frame count. So the first frame is Frame 0, the final frame is called Frame 15 (but is in fact the 16th frame)
    Just remember that the number I use is the same as the one displayed in the Bryce timeline at the base of the anim.

Now select all the animation controllers (every one at once or one at a time) and keyframe them all in frame 0 to the start position (no movement)

Now got to frame 15 select all the animation controllers (every one at once or one at a time) and keyframe them all in frame 15 to the start position (no movement)
    Now frame 0 and 15 are set to the default position.

You will now save this BR5 (or BR6) file and make a copy of it, and move the copy some place safe. Call the copy "unitname_donotuse.br5"

You are now ready to being your animation.

Enough for now, more later.

20. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

Create Default Animation
    Load your BASE scene (the BR5 you saved as as template, NOT the one named DONOTUSE.
    Save the BASE as UnitnameDefault.

You have 15 frames to work with. Frame 0 and frame 16 must remain exactly the same, and not be changed.
    Lets add some engine vibration (most civ vehicles have this).

These next steps are easier to visualize if you map them out first.

f0 = 0
    f1 = 1
    f2 = 0
    f3 = -1
    f4 = 0
    f5 = 1
    f6 = 0
    f7 = -1
    f8 = 0
    f9 = 1
    f10 = 0
    f11 = -1
    f12 = 0
    f13 = 1
    f14 = 0
    f15 = -1
    f16 = 0

See the pattern? the -1/1 numbers are the amount to vary your Y coordinate by. But unless the unit you are working with is VERY large, this is going to be far too much. Just use some small number such as .1 instead, remember that subtle is much better than over the top.

move the frame selector (slider at the base of the scene) to frame 1
    select your chassis controller edit the Y co-ordinate to + some small number, I will use 1
    key frame the chassis controller only.

move the frame selector (slider at the base of the scene) to frame 3
    select your chassis controller edit the Y co-ordinate to + some small number, I will use -1
    key frame the chassis controller only.

repeat until the pattern is complete.

now we have engine vibration. For the default this is typically enough. You want very little movement, but at least some. This will seem to breath life in your unit. Too much and it is just annoying and distracting. With this particular pattern, you could actually shorten the default anim to 4 frames and have it be just as good.
    If you want to play around, you might want to add just a little barrel movement. But since the movement must be very subtle, side to side will work better than up and down. Subtle up and down combined with the vibration will give the illusion that the barrel is bending.
    Once you have this basic down, save it and make a backup.

Create fidget Animation
    Load your default animation.

go to frame 3
    select your barrel controller
    keyframe it

go to frame 12
    keyframe it

Go to frame 8
    Make sure you are in OBJECT SPACE
    change the rotation of your barrel controller on to 30 degrees (this should raise your barrel)
    keyframe it

done
    Selecting frame 8 means that it rises somewhat slower than it drops.
    The inbetween positions do not need to be keyframed.

Create fortify Animation
    Load your default animation.

Make sure you are in OBJECT SPACE

go to frame 3
    select your turret controller
    30 degrees rotate it so that the left
    keyframe it

go to frame 3
    select your turret controller
    30 degrees rotate it so that the right
    keyframe it

done
    The barrel will now pan to the right and then to the left.
    The inbetween positions do not need to be keyframed.

Create Attack Animation
    use the above logic, but remember:
    that the gun must fire, so it must have muzzle flash. A tank "should" but does not HAVE to have smoke as well. smoke is a challenge for new guys.
    the barrel must move backwards slightly (or a lot),
    the turret should probably lift slightly.
    There should be NO engine vibration.
    the chassis should rock backwards
    the recoil is faster than the recovery, but the recovery should not take ages.
    The attacks must loop, and so do not forget to go back to recovery in the same manner as above.

Create victory Animation
    suggestion, the standard (but silly) is to have the turret spin around. You will probably have to key frame at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%
    Alternate is to raise a flag up and down. Have a little man pop out (humans are tough to animate correctly in bryce, but can be done)

Create defeat Animation
    Have it buck and toss about a bit.
    Fire looks good here.
    maybe a series of explosions (which the tank reacts to).
    The final position should not be taken in frame 15, but it should seem to be still (dead) for several frames before this. minimum is 3 frames, 5-6 is better.

----------

When you are completely done with these animations, you can choose 1 of 2 options. Render all but the last frame, or key frame EVERYTHING in frame 15 and then delete frame 16 by going to the file menu and animation setup and changing the last frame from 15 to 14 (meaning 0 to 14, or 15 frames). This is because frame 0 and frame 15 are identical and so frame 14 (the 15th image) will transition perfectly to frame 0, and because the animations (in this example) are the same at the base position all the animations will loop smoothly.