1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

19Delta's War Factory

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by 19Delta, Jan 29, 2007.

1. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

boy, Bjornlo... these are great instructions! You should go into teaching... :)

2. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

Thanks, I've done that a little in the past (math, CompSci & programming). This time I was just responding to a PM that 19delta sent me asking for some pointers.

3. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

Im going to have to disagree with the DEFAULT animation. You can save a lot of work if you use the Advanced Motion Lab instead of using the tedious method described here. Plus it would be much smoother. That is IF you want it to move. I've gone away from ships and vehicles doing anything in the default animation. Too many chefs spoil the pot, too much animation of it doing nothing ruins the picture. You can go from 1 or 2 extremes. Either it starts a cartoonish bouncing like the Firaxis tank, or.. it doesnt look like it's doing anything but the outline of it has a lot of moving pixels.

UTooB

4. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I've rendered my first animation. How the hell do I post a preview? Everytime I try to attach the one that Bryce gives me, it says invalid file.

5. Quinzy

Quinzy Chieftain

Take a screenshot of the preview and make a png of it?

6. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

you can also render a shot... then in the FILE menu it has "Save Image As" and do a crappy jpg.

7. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

With an animation, you have two render output formats, BMP or AVI. There are several AVI to GIF converter programs. I prefer Animation Shop Pro, came free (included) with an older version of Paint Shop Pro I bought off of Ebay for less than 20 bucks. If I remember it was 9 bucks complete with shipping.. MSRP (full suggested retail) on Animation Shop is 19 bucks, so there are no doubt good ways to get it cheap.

There is a minor problem with this form of preview, and that is that the that the palette with be better than allows (more colors). But, over all this is a trivial issue for a preview (advance view of the unit to show work in progress).

For final previews (as in a view of the final unit), it is better to use BMPS and either create a FLC with the correct palette and save off a single facing of that and use in a GIF creator. There are a number of free ones, including Microsoft GIF Animator, which I have used, for example in the early jeep I made using multiple layers and C&P I recreated the preview with a correct palette on an in game ground.
    Also, Animation Shop can load FLC files, even Civ3's own weird ones (but it can not save Civ3 valid FLCS). So you can just load the FLC, select the facing you want in the preview and paste it in a new GIF animation.

ps: never render out to a JPG, Bryce has possibly the worst JPG compression routine ever. If you want to render out a still image, render out a single BMP (uncompressed) and resave it as a JPG in a working program like Photoshop, Paintshop of TheGimp.

8. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

Ok, here is a preview for the run animation. This is all I have done thus far. I would like a little feed back before I move on to the rest of it. The animation moves kind of slow. I'm using Microsoft GIF animator, and I can't seem to figure out how to make the animation run at normal speed.

K1runSE.gif

Thanks to wyrmshadow for the dust and for setting up with me over instant messager and walking me through the whole process.

9. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

Remember what I told you about the Advanced Motion Lab. It can give it a smooth bounce... The same can be applied to the ROTATION as well as POSITION graphs.. Right now the bounce back and forth is a little jerky. Do a Easterly run so maybe we can see the wheels and tracks better, and see if you remembered my lessons.

10. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

You can also download a Bryce file with run smoke and such I posted here for comparison fun.

There are some minor issues with that animation.
    1. the smoke has over lapping transparencies (or similar) bug present. Parts of the smoke are disappearing. If you look at the smoke file I posted you will see the difference.
    2. the motion is not quite right. under acceleration, the vehicle should rock a little instead. Also you might want to experiment with a little side to side motion. Quite a few units include some there. It is enough to have it go left once and right once, if you even bother to include this. more side to side than that and it might look goofy.

on the advance motion lab, it does make somethings seem smoother but not everything needs it or even benifits from it. What you can do with it is change the ratio between frames. With standard keyframing, you get an even division of movement from one key frame to the next. With enough frames of animation, what you get with motion lab is instead of a linear movement (equal division of movement between key frames) you can optionally get a "bell curved shape" where as you approach the transition point the relative movement per frame decreases. Example: a car rocks to the left, and as it approaches the transition point it can look smoother if it moves less per frame (slows down) before switching directions. At civ scale and with very restrictive frame counts the benifit is marginal. I think it is worth learning, and worth adding to your Bryce tool kit, but I think it is over kill for a first unit.

11. Redback

Redback Chieftain

How big are your units Delta? Same size as Ripptide tanks?

12. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

K1runSE.gif

Ok, here it is again. I didn't include the dust in this animation. I want to try something like that on my own. I figured out what I was doing wrong the first time. I was using too many key frames for the movements. I still can't seem to make the preview GIF run at normal speed. Does anyone have any solutions to that problem?

13. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

That's what I'm aiming for.

14. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Chieftain

F-Ripptide. He didn't use any system of scale. I scaled the tank myself to my own tanks.

15. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

what he said ^^^
    Ripptides tanks are not the worst on there. Well modeled, but not that well animated but over all "ok". But, they are not scaled. I think they are just eyeballed to be more or less the same size.

16. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

There is a little button called Fast Preview, I think you have it selected since there is a disappearing antenna which almost only happens when this is selected.

How many frames is tha above run?

You can edit a GIFs speed by editing its frame delay, several programs can do this.

I suggest you have some sort of smoke, dust, tracks, or something when it moves. You can compare and contrast that which Wyrmshadow gave you and the one I posted for DL and come up with your own if you want. But something should be there to show movement.

17. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I guess you're right there. Honestly, I'm not sure. I've always thought of redoing the M1. There were things about it I didn't like. I think what I will do is build the models according to their size compared to other tanks. I will start with the K1. If I redo the M1, then it will be a bit larger than the K1, because according to real life, the M1 is slightly larger than the K1. So really what I will do is scale my tanks according to their real life counterparts.

18. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

I can't seem to find the link you posted for your smoke file in your earlier post.

19. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

You do not need to scale it while modeling. I model in rather random scales. The more detailed, the larger I make it since modelers have a finite ZOOM-IN range, but can typically zoom way out for the really big models.

Instead you import your model (in whatever scale) in to Bryce. You eyeball it (get the size sorta close). You set your camera, scene, etc and do a test render. You load this image in to a paint program, could the pixels and compare this count to your base (this can vary, for fighters {including space fighters} I use the cockpit, for tanks I use the length of the chassis if I can get it or the size of some known portion such as a hatch cover in a pinch).

This comparison in size is needed for just about every vehicle type since you an not just load it can go like you can with PDM based units. You also have to remember things are not scaled globally but with their class.
    Some of these classes include
    dudes
    dudes on horses
    dudes in wagons/chariots
    small cars like jeeps
    medium cars like APCs (can be scaled to work with cars)
    big "cars" like tanks.
    small planes
    large planes
    small wood boats
    medium wood boats
    etc..

20. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain