1st Imperial Dynasty Game

Once we finalize the rules I will create the new game and sign-up threads. Then we can put a link in our sigs and begin promoting it. I'm hoping we get good enough participation to ask for a forum.

While we are finalizing the rules we can work on the settings. Since there is only 4 of us a poll isn't really necessary. I suggest we use the system we used in the fisrt IDG. I'll post my suggestions and you guys can either OK them or suggest alternate settings.
  • Map- Inland Sea
  • Size- Large
  • Climate- Temperate
  • Sea Level- Low
  • Era- Ancient
  • Speed- Epic
  • World Wrap- Flat
  • Resources- standard
I suggested Inland Sea because it could make a great map for our Emperor style game. It slightly resembles the old Mediteranean world with a great sea at its core. With a large map and low sea level it will still be mostly land and a flat earth will give us the opportunity for great Sea battles. Let me know what you guys think.

I know this is probably completly wrong by your guys' standards, but after playing inland seas for a while I noticed that the highland maps, if altered to have the large lakes chain together, makes a much better game than the flat inland seas. The only problem is that someone has to make the map, and not just generate it.

I would push for a highlands game with large lakes and ridgeline mountains.

If we do want to play with an inland sea map, do you want a large map with low seas? I have found the larger maps do better with high sea levels.

However in the end I just want to play and get this game rolling, so I'll go along with whatever the rest of the community wants to do.

Btw-

Just read the rough draft for the game. I think everything sounds great. I wouldn't change a thing, unless there are some great reasons for it.

Only thing I would mention is that the RP in the family houses can be a great way to create internal conflicts, but I don't think we should get too complicated with how the families have to be run. I would leave all family decisions to the leaders of the family. That way players can have the ability to control (lead) their families as they see fit.

I'm sure this game will provide us with plenty of good conversation.

Also- I think that Players should create a family name for their houses, and each player can choose a first name, so for example I would be Draknith of Huber. Huber being the family name, and Draknith being my first name. But quite honestly, you guys can use whatever names you want.

I am OK with really any style map I just really think a Non-continents type map would be better for our game. So if we can come up with an alternate to the Inland Sea that does not require building I'd be all for it. My first thought was Pangea but I liked the idea of Sea battles. In the end I also just want to get the game going ;) .

EDIT: I agree about the family houses, just let them sort of mold themselves.

I know this is probably completly wrong by your guys' standards, but after playing inland seas for a while I noticed that the highland maps, if altered to have the large lakes chain together, makes a much better game than the flat inland seas. The only problem is that someone has to make the map, and not just generate it.

-Draknith

I think you may have confused the world wrap flat as meaning a flat terrain. If I am mistaken then disregard this post. The flat world wrap just means that it is not cylindrical. We could change the Temperate climate to Rocky to add more hills and mountains.

Nah, I know the map settings pretty darn in and out... I just wanted to give my opinion on map settings. The inland sea maps just do not give me the tactical aspects that I like in non continent games.

Curious about something however. In the last seesion of this game it seems that things died off somewhat quicker than most would have liked. Did you find that playing a larger size map was beneficial or maybe harmful to the playing aspect? I could even go for something along the lines of a standard map size, esspecially if you want to do an inland sea map. Just a thought.

If you want though, since it's really your thread, go ahead and pick all the settings, and we can kick this off tonight. It seems that all of us have been pretty proactive about being on the site and moving this along. I've played just about every type of map, so nothing will be really new to me.

Things died off last game because Real life got hectic and I was unable to participate in the IDG or the Demo Game for a long while. I had to work 2 jobs and my wife had to take a second job didn't leave much time for Civ at all. No worries now though :D .

Concerning the game I didn't mean to imply you weren't aware of the settings just that I may not have been clear. Anyways I'll just go with a fractal map and let the Civ gods decide on our map type. The only other thing then is for us to choose our civ. I'll go ahead and put up the new game threads tonight and post a poll with the civs that best represent an Imperial game and we must choose a difficulty. We went with Monarchy last time so I say we go with that.

OK fellas the new threads are up so we can close the door on this thread.
This thread is tagged for remaoval as it is no longer being used. Can a moderator please delete this thread.

Top Bottom