1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1upt No So Cool

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by katipo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

I agree.

I generally like 1upt, but as I play more, I realize that it was kind of a heavy-handed approach to the stacks of doom..kind of like sawing your foot off because you have athlete's foot.

I think that the problem with SoD's was less about stacking and more about battles being a zero-sum game. This is not an issue in Civ V due to the hitpoint system. Also, stacking allowed one tile to attack another multiple times per turn. I think that these two issues alone would make the SoD's far more tolerable and would skip the traffic jams and scaling issues in 1upt.

2. Jharii

Jharii King

He would if other people requested it. I do know what the modding process involves. Some are complicated and some are simple. I doubt this one is that complicated, and could be as simple as a changing a 0 to a 1. That's the fun thing about speculation, but anyone could download the mod and take a look of what it entails.

3. Polish

Polish Warlord

Did you ever think maybe you just have too many troops?

I am in the end game currently using pretty much the same 10 or 12 troops I've been using from the beginning--a couple of modern armor, six or so mech infantry, a couple of artillery pieces, a general, a few cav for catching workers. And yes, even with a fairly small leigon there are some traffic problems in restricted space, ever wonder why Switzerland was never really conquered?

I think that an important paradigm shift the designers wanted up to adopt was to do away with the hundreds of units involved in the stacks of doom and try a different way. Much of what I am reading seems to be people trying to implement the old tried and true stack of doom just spread out al over the map?

4. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

I dont think we need to look any further then Civ for an answer for 1upt! Lets just take the civ 2 model, you can stack units and if the stack is attacked the strongest unit in it will fight but if it loses the WHOLE stack is destroyed.

5. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Chieftain

I wonder how it would have worked if units could stack on the main map but when a battle occurs the scale of the map changes to a map that is the approximation of that larger hex. On this new map the units are then restricted to 1UPT. Anyone know of any games that have tried this? I think Pirates did something like this for city attacks.

6. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

The Ai seems to think otherwise, on Immortal, after crushing Augustus and Wu, with my Golden Horde i'm bashing Caterine that has some problems of traffic jamming:D

Ah, obviusly i take the capital of Wu as first, it is so simple winning war in this game, thay i barely use more than 4 horseman....(ok i know they are powerful, but i'm the Golden Horde, what i could use instead, pikemen?:lol:)

I need to try Deity after that, i was tempted before the Mongolian DLC....

7. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Um, no. It's not only possible, but moving, positioning, and protecting artillery is a fun part of the game. Sometimes, it's not easy, of course. But why should it be? In history, there are many cases of artillery being captured or destroyed by enemy forces (chance of capture would a nice mechanic).

Again melee, yes. Against ranged, no.

Will do!

8. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

QFE. I think you have hit the nail spot on the head Peregrine. It is astoundingly poor form to have done what they seem to have done with this mechanic in the game. It almost makes me think that the designers are not really gamers, let alone strategy gamers, but just programmers and artists.

For an excellent example of a straegic province map system coupled with a random-hex map generated tactical system, check out http://www.matrixgames.com/products...ror’s.Edition]Crown of Glory Emperor' Edition by Western Civilization Software and published by Matrix Games. Only covers 1796 to 1820 in Europe, and leaves out the rest of human history and geography, but is a fine example of the standards of balance, ingenuity, and complexity which we should expect in a premier strategy game like Civ.

It seems to me Civ is not a strategy game any longer. Some sort of hybrid of a console interactive-cartoon I guess. Very sad.

9. Jharii

Jharii King

Did you at least play the demo?

10. vandyr

vandyr Prince

A complaint post by a guy that hasn't even played the game quoted and emphasized by another guy that hasn't even played the game. :crazyeye:

For the record, the 1upt system, for whatever faults it may have, is far and away superior to SoD gameplay in ever possible facet, in my opinion.

Except i do agree that rifleman having melee range is silly, i'd still take that over stacks.

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Troop movement :)

12. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I like it :) Makes the wargame aspect of Civ feel more like a wargame :eek:

13. Jharii

Jharii King

I agree. The problem is not with the system, it's with the AI not being able to utilize it properly at this point in time.

14. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Agreed.

15. Hacksaaw

Hacksaaw Chieftain

1upt sucks. it destroys the entire feel of a world spanning game. instead of alexander marching to india, your joe picking on the guys accross the stream in the same village. because the scale for ancient and medieval just is screwed up totally by the new stacking. it could work for the modern era where your moving mass armies and actually have fronts that span 100s of miles, not 100s of yards.

what they needed to do was improve the stacking so you created an army, they could even have limited it to only so many units. but to overlay a Perfect General game ontop of Civ and call it an improvement, well Bull byproduct is the result.

it really does wreck the whole feel of the game to have archers with ranges of 100s of miles.

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

You can like it, but that is a aspect where 1upt is not superior in any sense to SoD ( not that this are the only two options ... i've been defending for ages to acept SoD but to put overcrowding demerits on it per unit added. IMHo it would work better than both 1upt and SoD, but that is besides the point ). That is unless you define that things should be like they are in 1upt and then clasificate things as they are closer of what 1upt gives ... there 1upt wins by a large margin :p

17. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Does having a soldier the size of the statue of liberty wreck the game for you too? Complaining about 'scale' in civ is a bit silly.

18. Strategy Master

Strategy Master Chieftain

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=394869 - Confirmed Bug Report that shows 1upt is not the perfect system at present, build too many units and you have to disband disband disband just to end your turn. It has limitations that have possibly been covered up somewhat by slowing build speeds in general.

19. Jharii

Jharii King

Well, it's not because he built too many units. It's because he built a unit in a garrisoned city and has no valid movement destinations because they are all occupied.

20. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Anything is superior to SoD. Its a horrible mechanic imo. I'll take 1upt with its downsides and bugs to SoD any day.