(2-03a) Counterproposal: Let Polynesian Embarked Melee units build water improvements at Fishing

Rekk

Deity
Counterproposal to https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ts-with-melee-naval-units-to-carthage.680209/

Polynesian ships come out relatively late for them to be able to improve sea resources, so why don't we give embarked (land) melee units the ability to do so at Fishing instead (as Japanese Samurai used to do in BNW)?

There's no need for Carthage to steal this ability with no replacement to Polynesia, when Carthage is already quite strong.

Last edited:
It would be easier to give embarked melee units the ability from the very beginning, but they would be able to improve sea resources immediately as well. ; for most cases, this wouldn't change the timing, since they can't embark until fishing anyway. The main beneficiary would be a Trailblazer III Pathfinder who can gain Embarkation before Fishing, but in order to benefit, must return home instead of continuing to explore.

This is not part of the proposal for now.

It would not be easier to do so, so nevermind.

Last edited:
I think it would be easier to give embarked melee units the ability from the very beginning; for most cases, this wouldn't change the timing, since they can't embark until fishing anyway. The main beneficiary would be a Trailblazer III Pathfinder who can gain Embarkation before Fishing, but in order to benefit, must return home instead of continuing to explore.

This is not part of the proposal for now.
Actually they can, Polynesia can embark (and cross ocean) at the very beginning o the game, that's part of their UA. You can even use it to go away from your continent and try luck on the sea (thought it is both risky and inefficient).

Also I note that you propose "Melee units", and not "Melee land units" (in the title), which sound to me that Melee naval units would keep the capacity. Could you edit the title if it's relevant ?

I said "embarked" units. Naval units can't embark.

But okay.

Actually they can, Polynesia can embark (and cross ocean) at the very beginning o the game, that's part of their UA. You can even use it to go away from your continent and try luck on the sea (thought it is both risky and inefficient).
Right. Completely skipped my mind.

If the galley/trireme split was passed would you still want this implemented? Do you consider those two proposals mutually exclusive?

I would still be okay with this being implemented. They would not be exclusive.

Embarked Polynesian units have a cool unique model. Would be nice to see it more often.

This is something that I immediately thought of when I saw the original Carthage-related proposal, aye! I think it makes the Polynesian kit more unique and generally ties it together better both mechanically and thematically than the current ability, plus it makes it that much easier to build fishing boats if you happen to be settling a tile off the coast for better Moai. I think this should happen regardless of whether or not the Carthage proposal passes.

This is something that I immediately thought of when I saw the original Carthage-related proposal, aye! I think it makes the Polynesian kit more unique and generally ties it together better both mechanically and thematically than the current ability, plus it makes it that much easier to build fishing boats if you happen to be settling a tile off the coast for better Moai. I think this should happen regardless of whether or not the Carthage proposal passes.
which one is the carthage proposal?

Proposal sponsored by Rekk.

Top Bottom