(2-06) Proposal: Please Perpetuate Pilum

UUs can still be a little spiky even if their unique promotions carry forward. They sometimes arrive at a tech earlier than the normal unit or have higher CS than the normal unit.

Right now the implementation doesn't seem consistent with any one overarching philosophy. If the philosophy should be "UUs should be spiky" then we'd probably want ALL UU promotions to be lost on upgrade. I'd favor an overarching philosophy of "unique promotions are fun so don't have them lost on upgrade if at all possible".

I probably would have proposed that all UU unique promotions remain on upgrade if I had the time to figure out a complete list of ones that are lost and then figure out appropriate ways to ensure they remain balanced. Pilum was just top of mind having recently played Rome.

UUs can still be a little spiky even if their unique promotions carry forward. They sometimes arrive at a tech earlier than the normal unit or have higher CS than the normal unit.

Right now the implementation doesn't seem consistent with any one overarching philosophy. I'd favor an overarching philosophy of "unique promotions are fun so don't have them lost on upgrade".

I probably would have proposed that all UU unique promotions remain on upgrade if I had the time to figure out a complete list of ones that are lost and then figure out appropriate ways to ensure they remain balanced. Pilum was just top of mind having recently played Rome.
I instituted a major push a few versions back so that I managed to eliminate all instances of a UU that carries nothing forward.

First we changed the atlatlist's wounded damage, then I added free promos to the Naresuan's elephant and Naga Malla so they would have something that could go forward. I also split the Impi's bonus vs gunpowder into a discrete promotion from the ranged attack so that it could move forward. I left the Legion alone because it has free Cover.

I guess the spirit of this proposal is that I'd gladly lose the 'free cover' type UU bonuses in favor of their much more interesting unique promotions persisting on upgrade so that I can have fun with them the whole game and avoid the awkwardness/feels bad moment of when to finally upgrade them and lose that cool promo.

Edit: Though I guess there's unique abilities that even I wouldn't want carried forward. Something like the Nau's ability shouldn't carry forward probably.

Last edited:
I also favor keeping the pilum. In addition to what has been said, I think Rome really lacks a military edge after Legions upgrade. Only a meager cover promotion is left. And with the recent move of catapults away from iron working, their early rush was also nerfed a bit.

This will over-strengthen Rome. Each infantry unit is a minicitadel.

Rome fights by Citadels as it can create an insane amount of Great Generals very quickly. You can literally build a road from the Citadels to the center of any enemy empire.

Spoiler :

20221219195549_1.jpg

20221219195812_1.jpg

I generally dislike any promotion being lost on upgrade. The civ UUs giving a unique play experience is part of what makes the game fun. I get that some of them persisting on upgrade doesn't make much sense in terms of realism but IMO gameplay concerns > realism concerns.
I wholeheartedly agree, I'd rather have the UU weakened a bit than lost on upgrade.
Pilum is nice but far from the strongest UU boost.

Proposal sponsored by pineappledan.

Top Bottom