[Vote] (2-10) Proposal: Jungle Deer

Approval Vote for Proposal #10 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ma_kuh

King
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 2, Proposal 10
Proposal:

Allow Deer to spawn in Jungles. Spawn rate matches extra banana spawn rate: 1/15 of jungle tiles have deer added to them.

Rationale:
There are many varieties of deer that live in rainforest biomes, so the exclusion from jungle tiles is somewhat artificial. Jungle Deer also mean camps in jungles which, when combined with a lodge, offer a few more :c5production: in these regions, and earlier.

This is a smaller scale change that is easier to implement and may also be preferred by a portion of the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jungle deer are a thing in Communitu already, just extremely rare
I assume it's related to jungle already having above average amounts of food and getting passed over for resource generation

Really? I think I've never noticed that, although there are sometimes mixed jungle/forest areas and I wouldn't doubt I wasn't paying enough attention.

Unlike the african elephant, the asian elephant does live in rain forests. I don't remember having seen the ivory resource spawn in jungle.

Jungle deer are a thing in Communitu already, just extremely rare
I assume it's related to jungle already having above average amounts of food and getting passed over for resource generation
They shouldn't. Send me a screenshot if you see one so I can try to fix.

Ivory is flat featureless plains only.

I wonder if, as a rule, spawning deer over a jungle could force the base terrain to be plains. I have no idea how map generation works, so no idea if this could work, but it could be a "sneaky" way to make sure deer give a fake +1 production when used in jungles.

But most maps already change all jungle tiles to plains. That would do nothing.

That's weird, my version of Communitu_79a spawns about 50/50 Jungle Grassland and Jungle Plains. Is there some other rule that's being applied here?
Spoiler :

1668064046878.png

Spoiler :

1668064188779.png

Or maybe that's the other half of the "most maps".

Last edited:
Communitu specifically allows jungle on grassland.
Communitas-series maps specifically skip the code that changes all tiles beneath jungles to plains.

I sponsor this.

Proposal sponsored by azum4roll.

@ma_kuh please clarify the exact changes you want to make.

Deer is currently placed as follows:
1. Random tiles are chosen around food-poor starts. Deer is placed on the tile if it's forest OR tundra. Banana is placed on the tile if it's flat jungle. Nothing gets placed and another random tile is picked if it's jungle hills.
2. One bonus resource is placed on a random tile on the third ring of every start regardless of how good it already is. Deer is placed if the region type is tundra, forest or snow. Banana is placed if the region type is jungle. I expect no change on this one other than allowing deer to be placed on a jungle tile.
3. Extra bonus resources are placed on random tiles on hills regions. Deer is chosen if the randomed tile is tundra or forest. Banana is chosen if the randomed tile is jungle. I expect also no change on this.
4. After starts are finalized, bonus resources are placed on random tiles NOT within 3 tiles of civ/CS starts. Deer is placed on 1/6 of tundra forests and 1/8 of flat featureless tundra (which will be converted into forest), as well as 1/25 of non-tundra flat forests and (include tundra) hilly forests. Banana is placed on 1/15 of flat jungle tiles.
5. Finally, tiles with deer on the wrong feature (or no feature) are converted to forest. This can easily be changed to allow jungle (depending on latitude in AssignStartingPlots or using more complicated checks in Communitu_79a).

1. - 3. As is.
4. "After starts are finalized, bonus resources are placed on random tiles NOT within 3 tiles of civ/CS starts. Deer is placed on 1/6 of tundra forests and 1/8 of flat featureless tundra (which will be converted into forest), as well as 1/25 of non-tundra flat forests and (include tundra) hilly forests. Deer is placed on 1/15 of jungle tiles (including hills*). Banana is placed on 1/15 of flat jungle tiles."
5. Should allow for jungle as a valid feature.

* During 5. do hills with deer get flattened? If so, then the same check as bananas should be used (exclude hills). Prevents hills in jungle from being flattened, which defeats the purpose of this change.

This is what I had in mind. Even with banana spawn rates, roughly speaking.

No hills flattening during the tile fix phase. Banana on hills is also allowed in step 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom