(2-51e) Counterproposal: Units get -10% CS for each upgrade

axatin

Prince
Counterproposal to https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/2-51-proposal-units-lose-xp-on-upgrade.680806/

Proposal: Each time a unit is upgraded, it gets a 10% CS malus.

Rationale: The problem of "immortal" human units needs to be addressed, but I think the OP would just lead to the players waiting with upgrading their units until logistics/range is reached, which is a gamey behavior. Following an idea by @balparmak , this proposal would prevent this and it would make it necessary to constantly build new units because the old ones would get weaker over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the late game, the defense will be unable to withstand the onslaught of mercenaries with '+20% outside friendly territory' bonuses and +20% Crusader Spirit belief. Plus a tenets of Autocracy.

Disagree to this because it sucks out the fun of having high level units. It's fun to have a few high level unit which can do special maneuver and be the star of the theatre, we just don't want human players to have tons of stars (thus I prefer the proposal which exponentially increase the cost of upgrading high level units). Having zero star on stage is boring, you'd be playing a chess game where almost every units are the same.

Considering how many people were upset that medic had a mere -10% cs on only defense, are people really going to be ok with -20 or -30%?

So all stem promotions with their % CS boost are just jogging in place.

All these malus proposals, maybe some of you just want to delete promotions from your game?

Actually, no. I don't want to nerf promotions in general, just address the problem with human players being able to have everlasting units that get stronger and stronger over time. Just in case I was misunderstood here, I'm talking about a reduction of combat strength on unit upgrade (modernization), not on getting a promotion (XP level-up).

I sponsor this.

Proposal sponsored by axatin.

Let's imagine that after this proposal is implemented, I upgrade a warrior three times (warrior -> spearman -> pikeman -> tercio). The base CS of a newly built tercio is 25.
Would this upgraded-to-tercio then have a base CS of
25 * 0.9^3 = 18.23; or
25 * (1 - 0.1*3) = 17.5; or
some other base CS value?

Let's imagine that after this proposal is implemented, I upgrade a warrior three times (warrior -> spearman -> pikeman -> tercio). The base CS of a newly built tercio is 25.
Would this upgraded-to-tercio then have a base CS of
25 * 0.9^3 = 18.23; or
25 * (1 - 0.1*3) = 17.5; or
some other base CS value?
The way I envison it is its like a promotion applying a -10% CS malus. So it would work the 2nd way you propose. And it wouldn't affect the "base CS", as that would affect all other modifiers as well, its just another modifier that lays on top.

Thank you. I think that I get this now. It’s funny that I still got it wrong despite writing “some other”.

It's bad, purely because it's based on the number of upgrades, not the difference of tech tiers. If we ever add or remove units from a unit line, it's a buff or nerf to the entire line.

Top Bottom