[Vote] (2-55) Proposal: Buff Oil Well

Approval Vote for Proposal #55 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

azum4roll

Lost the game
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 2, Proposal 55

Oil Well gives only 3:c5production: 5:c5gold: at base and gets 2:c5production: at Plastics and Electronics, techs on the other side.

Here's the comparison of Oil Well (on Oil, obviously, and I turned the tile into Grassland) and a Mine on Coal, as well as a Village on Railroad City Connection with a trade route passing through. Assuming no policies/beliefs boosting them.

At early Modern:
1670336856887.png

There's simply no match. Oil Well is much worse than a Village.

At late Atomic:
1670337077211.png

Now they're comparable, but Oil Well is at its peak while Mine still has another boost of 3:c5production: at Robotics, as well as Industry and Order boosts potentially. Coal is also the worst mine for yields, being one of the two resources not getting a building boost (the other being Oil).

Proposal to buff Oil Well:
1. Make its base yields 7:c5gold:, +5:c5production: for improving Oil
2. Five-Year Plan includes +3:c5production: to Oil Well
3. Research Lab gives +4:c5science: to Oil

Just for completion's sake:
Factory gives +2:c5production:2:c5science: to Coal. Now all resources have a building boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what about Offshore Platform?
You're giving +4:c5science: from Research Lab to Oil, and it should affect offshore Oil as well.

Base Oil is +1 :c5production:
Offshore Oil got +4:c5food: +5:c5production: +4:c5gold: for simply being a water resource (as with other water resources).
Spoiler :
Sea enhancements:
Base Coast: +2:c5food:
Lighthouse: +1:c5food: & :c5gold: to sea tiles
Harbor: +1:c5food: to sea tiles, and +1:c5production: to sea resources
Seaport: +1:c5production: & :c5gold: to sea tiles, and +2:c5production: & :c5gold: to sea resources

Oil get +3 :c5production: from Offshore Platform, and Offshore Platform gives +4 :c5gold:.

So that's +4:c5food: +8 :c5production: +8:c5gold: and +4:c5science: total for a single improved Offshore Oil. That's 24 yields total!. (Well you can lose +3 :c5gold: & :c5production: if your city pick Train Station)

If you wanted to boost both, then that's fine. But if you only want to boost land Oil, then probably better to give that +2:c5science: to Oil and +2:c5science: to Oil Well.

Last edited:
But what about Offshore Platform?
You're giving +4:c5science: from Research Lab to Oil, and it should affect offshore Oil as well.

Base Oil is +1 :c5production:
Offshore Oil got +4:c5food: +5:c5production: +4:c5gold: for simply being a water resource (as with other water resources).
Spoiler :
Sea enhancements:
Base Coast: +2:c5food:
Lighthouse: +1:c5food: & :c5gold: to sea tiles
Harbor: +1:c5food: to sea tiles, and +1:c5production: to sea resources
Seaport: +1:c5production: & :c5gold: to sea tiles, and +2:c5production: & :c5gold: to sea resources

Oil get +3 :c5production: from Offshore Platform, and Offshore Platform gives +4 :c5gold:.

So that's +4:c5food: +8 :c5production: +8:c5gold: and +4:c5science: total for a single improved Offshore Oil. That's 24 yields total!. (Well you can lose +3 :c5gold: & :c5production: if your city pick Train Station)

If you wanted to boost both, then that's fine. But if you only want to boost land Oil, then probably better to give that +2:c5science: to Oil and +2:c5science: to Oil Well.
At the same time, how many oil fields do you generally get in a game, and how late do they come? Yeah they would be stellar tiles with these changes, but how much are you moving the needle really? ESPECIALLY off shore ones.

At the same time, how many oil fields do you generally get in a game, and how late do they come? Yeah they would be stellar tiles with these changes, but how much are you moving the needle really? ESPECIALLY off shore ones.
Well, depends on the map. I play with my map Tectonic and offshore Oil is more common than onshore Oil, because it generates a lot of coastlines and small islands.
It's even more prominent on bigger sizes.

The oil well should also factor in that it commonly spawns on desert. Your comparison is therefore quite charitable, and I think we could even boost it by 1-2 more yields.

The offshore platform, imo doesn’t need anything if the oil resource itself is going to get a buff. Oil platforms aren’t comparing for space like land resources are, and they compare quite well with fish etc already.

I sponsor this.

Proposal sponsored by azum4roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom