[Vote] (2-57) Proposal: Naval Units in Cities don't increase City Strength

Approval Vote for Proposal #57 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

axatin

Prince
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 2, Proposal 57
Proposal:
Naval units in cities don't increase the city's combat strength. If there is only a naval unit in a city, it's combat strength is as if there the city were not garrisoned.

Rationale: In VP, naval units can't fight from a city, so it doesn't make sense that they increase city strength. Also, this proposal would prevent the case that a city with both a land and a naval unit has a lower strength than a city with a naval unit only. That currently happens when the naval unit is stronger than the land unit (because it's always the land unit's strength that is used for calculating the strength of the city).

Spoiler Naval and Land Unit City Strength :

Naval Unit only:
Screenshot (226).png

Naval and Land Unit:
Screenshot (227).png

Last edited by a moderator:
They also shouldn't count as a garrison with which the city splits damage.

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I can perform naval melee attack from inside the city. I could be wrong though

This would make a land unit mandatory for any amphibious assault, as ships can't hold a city after capturing it. I'm not sure if the AI can handle this.

Btw, naval units used to count half for garrison strength. Not sure when it was changed, and why.

This would make a land unit mandatory for any amphibious assault, as ships can't hold a city after capturing it. I'm not sure if the AI can handle this.
I think I'd prefer that honestly. Ever since Naval melee conquering cities was added I found it quite strong to be able to take and hold a city without any land soldiers, especially when my enemy still has a large army. Being required to bring an army with your navy would make naval invasions feel less cheap.

If the AI struggles with it, though, that's definitely a problem.

The AI is already taught to prefer land units over naval units when setting up a garrison (motivated by the fact that naval units can't attack from cities). If necessary, this preference could be made stronger.

I sponsor this proposal and I would assume for now that no AI change is necessary.

Proposal sponsored by axatin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom