(2-NS) Land Units blockade adjacent lake tiles with no units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
Proposal: When an enemy unit is next to a lake tile, and that lake tile does not have a defending unit, the tile is "blockaded". This means a worker cannot work it, and it counts for the purpose of a city's blockaded condition.

Rationale: Blockading is a strong and important tactic when taking cities. Right now it is almost impossible to blockade a city next to a lake, embarked units die on the lake too fast, land units can't blockade it, and you can't build a navy to take the spot. This makes lakes wierdly one of the strongest defensive boosts in th game, especially as the AI has gotten smarter about blockading cities.

This proposal makes it where a land unit effectively treats a lake like a land tile, allowing them stop work on it and blockade it as they would any other land tile. This removes the oddity.

Yeah I definitely support this.

A more thorough fix would be to only count it as blockaded if said lake doesn't connect to another city or connect to an ocean (via canal), but that may be difficult to do, in which case this proposal is fine as is.

The proposal is a weird bespoke exception to the rules ... but would be part of the general rule set.

I'd rather do it via promotions.

Yeah, that make sense. How about the inverse situation too? A city on a small island could be blockaded if there are no enemy units on adjacent land tiles.

I think making it only lake tiles (and not coast) solves for the island situation, no?

Oh I see, so having a little strip of land doesn't break the blockade. Presumably having a land unit clears the blockade. It sounds like it might be a separate but related proposal though.

Yeah, that make sense. How about the inverse situation too? A city on a small island could be blockaded if there are no enemy units on adjacent land tiles.
The current proposal only effects lakes. The coastal island would either needs ships or ships+land units to blockade.

The key difference here, an island can be blockaded by an enemy force. It may require a combination of land and sea units but it absolutely can be done. With lakes this is not an option, embarked units in the lake are instantly killed, and you can't send naval ships into a lake in 90+% of cases. The lake is the only real sore thumb here, islands are not.

Yeah, I understand, I was asking an opinion about a different proposal, so a unit would make a blockade on an adjancent tile if there is no defending unit regardless if terrain type. So land units can blockade water and ships can blockade land to make it consistent .

I prefer how it is now, where land units block land tiles and water units block water tiles. Makes sieging those cities harder and slower, but then even more reason to have lakes.

Proposal failed due to lack of sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom