1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Civilizations declared war on me us being the same religion.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Sitting Bull (native American) was + 7 with me, 1 point for peace for many years, another 6 for being the same religion. -1 point for having close borders.

But then I refused him Compass when I just got it, he wanted it for me. Then I got -3 for that alone. Some turns later and he declare war on me with the Inca's. It's unreal isn't it, how can the situation turn around so quickly?

2. Smilingrogue

Smilingrogue Raging Barbarian

I have had SB declare war on me after I turned down a tech handout demand. If I remember correctly, SB can declare at Pleased and the -3 must have knocked him into war planning range. He must have asked Inca to join in and they simultaneously declared on you. Tough luck.

Here's a reference guide to see what levels the leaders can declare on:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6570

Be warned that some leaders start planning war on Pleased and will still attack if later they get to friendly. No one actively plans to war a faction they are friendly towards though.

3. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Every demand you deny has a chance for the demanding Civ to enrage and plot a war against you, so be careful when you deny them and don't have a strong military. Washington is most dangerous, when denying him, he goes to war 100% if I understood that code correctly.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Learning when and when not to give into demands is a big part of growing with the game. It can be important early for survival, especially on higher levels. You just have to ask yourself is it worth it at the time. Are you going to attack this AI anyway? Or do you want to get him/her to friendly to your benefit? Is this tech a monopoly or worthwhile to keep away from the AI as long as possible? Compass is usually not a bad tech to give away in such a case.

5. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

To this, I wanted to add: If my Girldfriend would deny sex to me, I would also give her diplomatic maluses and go in WHEOOHRN :D

Hope I may write this, if not, some Mod just delete it, it's actually only ment to be a joke.

6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Did you have any vassals?

If it was enough to drop him to cautious, then he may declare war. If he was already cautious (which he wasn't), they can immediately plan war.

I'm quite sure AIs don't give demands, only requests for help when they are pleased or better. This is true of you to. If they are pleased towards you, it turns into "can you spare this for a good friend" At least I've never seen it happen. I've also never seen -3 for refusing to help.

Usually the chances of Sitting Bull plotting war in general are low, but if compass was enough to satisfy him, it should be done as it's so cheap anyways.

7. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Saladim just demanded Gunpowder there, Sitting Bull demanded Guilds and Drama (seperately) in the last 50 turns.

Do I lost the technology if I give the techs away? ie can I build no more musketman if I give gunpower to Saladim. At least i have +17 with Joao II, who is 2nd biggest in the game after me and my next door neighbour. In 3 turns he ran out of food and I got a 3+ rating twice.

PS: What are vassals? I sometimes hear a leader became a vassal of another person. How can I do this? When all my research and culture + espionage is switched off I get around 300 gold per turn, still haven't built banks yet, just got banking.

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You don't loose the Tech, and you get Vassals by making someone capitulate to you (by war) or by getting such a huge military that your best friends will join you by free.

9. fibonacci112358

fibonacci112358 Chieftain

That totally made my day.

Fibonacci

10. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

If you know how to write and you then teach someone how to write, do you lose the ability to write? that's a good analogy for how tech trading works in this game :D

11. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

There are some wars you can't win.

12. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Not :D

13. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

If a AI approaches you about a tech trade and you negotiate it to be for a different tech than what they asked for would you still get the -3?

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

no, only if they demand or wish for a tech (meaning you get nothing in return) , what you are talking of is a normal supposal to trade.