2 units on 1 square

doveyy04

Chieftain
Just discovered this game and I love it. Getting to grips with most of it via help guides etc but can’t find an answer to this question I have…

If myself or an enemy has 2 units on the same square is the defence of both units added together when attacked? I ask this because I noticed in my current game that I attack with my bombers that has 12 attack against units that only have 6 or 8 defence yet my bombers lose everytime!! The units are on grass or ground not in say hills or mountains and they are not in a defensive position either and my bombers have veteran status. Is it cause I’m attacking 2 units in that square ? I can’t tell its 2 units

I think that only the most powerful unit is the one that defends without the other units joining.

Seconding what rhaul states.

Also, several elements influence the outcome of an attack:
- defensive units being fortified (gray wall surrounding the icon) have higher defense
- veteran units have high offensive strength (and defense ? Can't remember)
- outcome of all battles has a bit of randomness, which make it possible (with tiny probability) for militia to defeat bombers or battleships
- difficulty level influences AI favorably: emperor level AI militia have even more chance to defeat bombers or battleships...

Other forum members may take the time to dig out detailed battle resolution rules, most probably already posted somewhere around here...

Welcome to the CIV 1 dimension :)

To give you an idea, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen how a nuclear missile (99 attack) loses against even old units, although the explosion is imminent whatever the final result.

Seconding what rhaul states.

Also, several elements influence the outcome of an attack:
- defensive units being fortified (gray wall surrounding the icon) have higher defense
- veteran units have high offensive strength (and defense ? Can't remember)
- outcome of all battles has a bit of randomness, which make it possible (with tiny probability) for militia to defeat bombers or battleships
- difficulty level influences AI favorably: emperor level AI militia have even more chance to defeat bombers or battleships...

Other forum members may take the time to dig out detailed battle resolution rules, most probably already posted somewhere around here...

Welcome to the CIV 1 dimension :)

thanks for your reply. I’m on prince level. Units were not fortified and on grass/ground. My bombers (A12) and veterans were constantly losing against armor (D5) and cruisers (D6), maybe I was just unlucky.

I guess if there is 2 enemy units in the same square it will show the best defensive one? As I can’t get to see both and I only know there are 2 units sometimes when I attack and it says I destroyed 2 units

thanks for your reply. I’m on prince level. Units were not fortified and on grass/ground. My bombers (A12) and veterans were constantly losing against armor (D5) and cruisers (D6), maybe I was just unlucky.

I guess if there is 2 enemy units in the same square it will show the best defensive one? As I can’t get to see both and I only know there are 2 units sometimes when I attack and it says I destroyed 2 units
Yes, the strongest defensive unit will take the hit, this is the one shown during battle animation. If defeated, all units on the same square will be destroyed ( or is it only up to 10 units?)... EXCEPT if square has a fortress built by a settler, in which case only defeated unit will be destroyed (defense 1 by 1).

I ask this because I noticed in my current game that I attack with my bombers that has 12 attack against units that only have 6 or 8 defence yet my bombers lose everytime!!
How combat works in this game is pure dice rolls.

If in your example a bomber has 12 attack and it attacks a unit with 8 defence, it has 12/(12+8) chance of winning the combat, which is 60%, barely better than a coin flip.

Reiterating what others said, the unit with the highest defence stat in the stack defends; if it loses, all units in the stack are destroyed.
If the stack is in a city or on a tile with a fortress improvement, units get destroyed one by one.
Fortified units (grey “walls” around the icon) get 50% bonus to their defence stat. I think the city also gives +50% defence. City walls multiply defence by 3 (aka add +200%).
Veteran units get 50% bonus to their attack and defence stats.

And since we are talking about extra defenses, it also depends on the type of terrain (see civilopedia), I would even say that also attacking, being negative the terrains that have extra defense (for example a mountain), although the latter is a personal appreciation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom