2 victories at the same time

spiike79423

Chieftain
Hello, I just want to ask why did I lose. I played with a friend and I had one more turn remaining for the last mars project and he had like 170 tourists / 172 tourists. So we clicked next turn at the same time and I lost and he has won. Is there some kind of priority? My total score was higher btw. thanks

Interesting, I would guess it is because it is a turn based game so whoever’s civ was the lower number played their turn first.
Do you remember who went first at the start? You or him/her?
I am not really sure if I understand, yeah it is turn based game, but every player plays at the same time. He was hosting the game tho.

I am not really sure if I understand, yeah it is turn based game, but every player plays at the same time. He was hosting the game tho.

The game is structured around single player play, in which the player and the AI play in sequence rather than at the same time. I presume the system will still assign a sequence to the civs even in multiplayer play, so that even if you're actually playing simultaneously Civ 1 will have a chance to win before Civ 2. That's certainly how it works in single player, where you can lose while waiting to take the turn that would give you victory because the AI gets to resolve its turn first. If you had AI civs in your game, for instance, they'd still play in sequence, and barbarians and city states would still play after everyone else.

I think this is just a programming thing. They probably just check sequentially if any player reached a victory condition when a turn ends. And when a check is true they stop checking and that player wins. It is simply the easiest way to do it in a programming languaje.

Probably FXS just never considered your case as a possibility, so they did not took it into account in the code. Or maybe they did consider it, but coded it the easy way for time reasons and put it into a list of things they should do. Then someone assigned a low priority to the issue, and never got time to be solved. This is how software works.

However this would be very easy to fix, I recomend you to to put this in the bug section. I dont think they will ever fix it. But who knows.

Last edited:
Host is always player 1, and the game checks wincon for player 1 first. This applies to many other things as well.
Thanks for that, interesting... in SP you are always player0 or at least your civ is denoted as civ 0. I guess being called player0 in MP would be a fail.

I think it's been set clear by all the post here, but yes, turns have an order, even in simultaneous: after all of you click end turn, calculations are made first for player 1, then for player 2...

The typical case on this for Civ is not victory condition, but wonder building: if your friend and you both did end the turn with 1 turn remaining for getting the same wonder, he would have gotten it, as in the end turn, the game would calculate the new hammers first for him (wonder complete, wow!), and then for you (sorry lad, you can't build that, has been built already….)… You can imagine this happens as well when hitting victory conditions: his 2 touritsts kicked in just before your mars Project was completed.

Top Bottom