(2-VT) New Bonus Resource: Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma_kuh

King
Proposal:
Add a new bonus resource, Boars, that can spawn in: Jungles (any), Forests (non-tundra)
Trapping reveals Boars, and Camps and Lodges/Gers can improve them.
Yields: +1:c5production: (Camp: +1:c5food: +1:c5gold:, Lodge: +1:c5food:)

Rationale:
Currently, the only bonus resource that can spawn in jungles is Bananas (and Rice, if you include tropical marshes and grasslands that might pepper the area). If no luxuries are spawned in the jungle, they can be very empty. Additionally, jungles tend to lack :c5production:; I think adding a resource that can logically provide production is healthy for the game in the long run.

Although I'm not targeting forests as needing this improvement, I think it makes sense to include boars as a resource in some forest biomes. I'm no ecologist, so I'll update the proposal if people present valid arguments for modify the spawn rules.

Potential Pitfalls:
As an animal-themed bonus resource, art models would be more difficult to add. My hope is that something like the existing Truffles model could be used with a color tint to darken the pigs. I'm not sure how the community feels about duplicating models, but just using Truffles with a new yield icon is also a less-ideal solution.
Adding another yield icon could be an issue, as I understand it.

Capybaras for extra happiness

Attachments

• images-2020-08-17t121906.925-3466985169.jpg
    images-2020-08-17t121906.925-3466985169.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 26
adding new animal resources is very ambitious, since they are animated and might not work very well. They would also be hard to distinguish from Truffles.

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of adding more resources unless we really do identify a serious problem with our existing resource lineup.

If we wanted woodland :c5production: resources, what about Teak for jungle and Oak or Cedar for non-tundra forests? We already have good tree models, they are much easier to implement, a unique lumber mill resource would be new and interesting. It also wouldn't break up mill triangles.

I'd be in favor of non-animal resources that help out :c5production: in jungles, that's the main target with this proposal. I think there's an aesthetic miss by not having (many) animals that can spawn in the jungle, a place renowned for its biological diversity, but the gameplay goal would definitely be satisfied by a lumber resource.

There are already resources like this in the even more resources mod, of which recently maize and rice were incorporated, so why not continue doing that.

I don't think we need more resources for forests, they are already pretty good. I can see the appeal of more resources for jungles, as they are still a very tough terrain to work with.

I don't think we need more resources for forests, they are already pretty good. I can see the appeal of more resources for jungles, as they are still a very tough terrain to work with.
I agree. Jungle could use a bonus resource that gives production. An animal resouce would have the benefit to be accessible by camps, helping with a weak jungle start. A plant resource would have to wait for plantations or logging camps. It would also allow for good starts in jungle using the camp pantheon.

Last edited:
I can sponsor the placement part. Since you haven't specified the amount added, I'll just use common sense.

I was thinking about the same as bananas I guess, but I don't think I've looked into the details of spawn rates enough to know. I trust your judgment. Would you pick the same rate for the jungle deer proposal?

I was thinking about the same as bananas I guess, but I don't think I've looked into the details of spawn rates enough to know. I trust your judgment. Would you pick the same rate for the jungle deer proposal?
Sorry but this should be vetoed. Rules are very clear, you need to be exact in your proposal, t

The main thing you're lacking is art assets for this proposal. I assume you would modify the truffle resource, but you need to get someone to do that. You also need to determine if you can animate it, or sell people on why we should have wooden pigs that don't move as resources.

The rules include for reasonable interpretations by implementers. Is the expectation that I'm to proof read map scripts, identify how rates are determined for other resources, then suggest an implementation, sight unseen, and hope it's the right number? Finally, I thought sponsorship was the time when lack-of-clarity vetoes are to be considered, with some level of dialogue to work out specifics before just dropping the axe.

Also also, with the lack of art sponsor, it is true that this proposal specifically is dead in the water; I am expecting that at this point, but the jungle deer proposal, which was my original back-up proposal for this problem, is still valid.

Last edited:
The main thing you're lacking is art assets for this proposal. I assume you would modify the truffle resource, but you need to get someone to do that. You also need to determine if you can animate it, or sell people on why we should have wooden pigs that don't move as resources.
A recolored version of Truffle can do, as long as the icon is distinct enough from it.

There will be the following changes (off my head):

1. Boars may spawn instead of planting a forest if start has poor production and near jungle
2. Fewer banana in jungle tiles NOT near start positions

1671555012290.png

Recolor to a darker one, make it bigger in size than Truffles, and also with a slightly modified camp texture to make it distinct.
You can grab game assets from the FPK easily with Dragon Unpacker.

It only needs someone to grab a Boar image for the icon.

Also, this doesn't mean I can sponsor this.
I don't want a half-baked resource implemented into the game, it needs to be tested as a modmod first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom