(2-VT) Only melee barbarians in camps and nearby at the time of foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchx

Prince
I suggest that only melee units be in the barbarian camps and nearby at the time of foundation. On subsequent turns, the camp can release a unit of any type.

At least until the mass appearance of machine guns. The earlier ranged units are too weak on defense.

Spoiler :

--barbs--.jpg

Current behavior is that units with a default UnitAI type of UNITAI_DEFENSE are twice as likely to be selected by the weighted randomization.

Barbarians are planned as a threat to early eras. They should cause trouble, rob tiles and cities. Camps should require significant cleaning efforts. Perhaps the barbarians even need to be strong enough to be able to capture cities without walls by attacking them after turn 50, not just plundering them. In the early era, the barbarians really should be the main threat, and not a war with a neighboring great empire for the sake of a border town. Each civilization at this moment must ensure the safety of its territory so that the workers can begin to improve tiles, and not think about how to go and admire the beauties of a foreign capital.

By the way, I have never seen a barbarian horseman for 160 turns.

At the same time, it was possible to increase the number of barbarians at the moment of the foundation to 3 units, because Barbarians do not have combat advances, which give a bonus to CS, and experienced squads are destroying them without significant effort.

They are fine when they spawn on rough terrain instead of open flat ground like in that screenshot, and I like that coastal archers are a threat to passing embarked units.

because Barbarians do not have combat advances, which give a bonus to CS, and experienced squads are destroying them without significant effort
This is a good point, though. Perhaps barbarian tech level could be increased a little?

or add a promotion for flat terrain, analogous to the ones that rough terrain barbarians get

Proposal vetoed.

Reason:
Discretionary veto because the base mechanic (Barbarian spawning) is currently bugged. Can be re-proposed once fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom