(2-VT) to revise the speed of movement in the ocean-sea for land units

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchx

Prince
Technically, all land units must move in the ocean on barges (landing ships) and have the same speed. Now this is not so.

The cavalry is able to cross 6-8 ocean tiles per turn.

Infantry - something like 4 with various bonuses from policies.

Artillery - retains a 1/2 speed penalty to enemy territory movement if entering hostile waters. I don't understand this. The guns are carried on a barge, no one moves them manually. Why is there a penalty? It is impossible to shoot them until the landing. And in order to land them, you first need to capture the coast and ensure security. As a result, artillery is the most disgusting unit in the game - it moves incredibly slowly through enemy territory, falling apart with one hit. It's easier to fire 2 crossbowmen or 2 machine guns instead of 1 cannon. This will be much more efficient both in terms of movement speed and protection from various attacks, plus the infantry is able to use the landscape features for cover.

If this is happening to you, it's a bug. Embarked units should all have the same movement.

The movement penalty of siege units does not represent the slow movement of the guns, it's the increased need for supplies that is necessary to operate them. In this regard, it's not completely illogical to move slower through enemy waters.

i agree with OP on this one, embarked units should move at same rate regardless of their non-embarked movement rate. I don't mind embarked movement bonuses via promos and policies, but they shouldn't be conferred via the non-embarked move rate, or via unembarked movement bonus mechanisms

while we're on topic of embarked units, would be nice if they stayed embarked when moving from water into a tile they could be either embarked on unembarked in (ie fortress and citadel canals).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom