2006-05 2006 May GOTM

Dack

Terra Form
Report: You find yourself on an Island 22 squares north to south by 14 squares wide. You are alone on this island

People: English Click here for GOTM May 2006 zip file
Level: King
goal: conquest
  • Shortest amount of time (players with same year civ score breaks tie).
  • If none of the above the player who lasts the longest wins.

All Entries must be submitted before June 1, 2006

Entries will consists of a zip file with all auto save games. If 3000bc & 2000bc may be overwritten then rename them Civil2.* and Civil3.*. The move before your last move will be saved as civil0.*. Include your Replay.txt, your year and score.

Rules:
  • Use version 5. No version 1 (i.e. 474.01 or 475.01) Click here to upgrade to version 5
  • No use of other programs (map viewers, Editors, etc...)
  • Overuse of settler cheat - if you use it so state it.

After watching you setting up a GOTM for civ1, I thought it was quite interesting. So I played this game. Can I just submit my results here, or should I put it somewhere else?
For all who are interested:

Finished in 1050 AD, so I was very slow. This was mostly because of the respawning of new civilizations. My troops were partolling all the islands, but couldn't find anything. Since my economy was majorly damaged by my superior army, I was sending out caravans. Because of this economical structuring, I was still able to find the Zulu's: my last enemy. Ironically enough, the reason why I finished that late was because of a one city state, with only had militia to guard it! :mad:

The map was quite fun, but logistics was the major problem. Besides that I'm normally a peacefull player, which was not what this scenario was about. The opponents were luckily very weak. This is probably because they couldn't exchange technology with one another. It was very nice to see though that the attributes of every civilization became so clear. Every civ I met had another challenge. The Russians were as always uber aggressive and the Aztecs were easy to pluck technologies from, etc.

The only cheat I have used is the SAVE and LOAD with unfair battles. If five of my chariots get slaughtered by one phalanx in a city without city walls this is unfair IMHO. What is the settler cheat by the way?

For everyone who still wants to start: good luck.

I have just started playing. Will post results as soon as I am done :goodjob:

Ok you are all going to have to excuse me, because I will take time playing this game. I'm at 540 BC and I have exceeded the unit limit. I have never had that problem in a long time if not ever. I have almost 3 pages of cities and it's going to take a while, so be patient ;)

I have started playing this game, but it looks like it will take a loooong time to finish it. I will probably not be able to finish it in this month. Could you give me a few more weeks Dack? Please? :yup:

Oh, and why has nobody answered Comrade Aart’s question?
Comrade Aart said:
Can I just submit my results here, or should I put it somewhere else?
Yes, you post your files in this thread. Sorry for the late reply. I hope you still have your saves. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this GOTM :)

Thank you Pikachu. I was already wondering if anyone cared. ;)

Here is the file with my saves and replay.

Attachments

• Comrade_Aart.zip
    47.2 KB · Views: 133
Since Dack has vanished without a trace I am going assume his powers.

I hereby declare that the deadline has been extended until June 20th 2006.

That should be enough time for me to finish my game. Hopefully this will be enough time for Tenochtitlan to finish his game too, and of course it will give everybody else a new opportunity to join in.

Have fun everybody :)

Finally I have finished the game. This was a weird map. I wonder what Dack was smoking when he made this one:)

I went for a tank conquest and started with peacefully developing my own continent, and after a while I started some naval explorations. I was quite shocked when I discovered Indian cities both to the east and to the west of my huge continent. They had certainly not traveled through my coastal waters, so I assumed that they must have conquered their way all the way around the planet. That would make one giant civilization:eek:

But it turned out that the situation was quite different. All the ai civs were quite weak and fairly easy to kill, except that my troops had to move incredibly far to get to the most remote civs.

Going for an armor conquest was clearly not a wise decision. With that insane arrangement of land and seas I obviously should have started the conquest as early as possible. But this game was way too time consuming to play a second time.

So I have to submit my results from my first try. It ended with a conquest victory in AD 1800. Will that give me a silver medal? :hmm:

Attachments

• Pikachu.zip
    186 KB · Views: 143
Pikachu said:
This was a weird map. I wonder what Dack was smoking when he made this one:)

First of all, my Mum would give me hell if I smoked anything.

Ever notice how bombers fly around inland seas? Ever notice how non-human countries don’t build sea-going units on inland seas? It appears that when a non-human country builds a city on an inland sea the game does not set the “it’s ok to build sea units here” bit. I manipulated the seas to indicate that each was the primary sea.

Pikachu said:
Will that give me a silver medal? :hmm:
Perhaps if you take your case to the appeals committee you may prevail. Lots of laughs! I think they meet every third century (civ years).

Top Bottom