2008-2009 Mlb offseason

Let's put it this way: The Jays would be a play-off team in any league or division if they weren't in the AL East. The AL East is just a monster of a division - it's extremely difficult to compete in which just makes the Rays run to the W.S even more incredible.

The collars of the GM's in Baltimore and Toronto got a lot tighter because of the Rays run. I would think Orioles fans at least deserve to have their management have a fire lit under it, rather than throw their hands up and say "Oh well, we can't win in this division, it's too gosh darned difficult!"

The rays have had a lot of really good drafts, something the orioles and really the Jays don't do. The sox and the old yankees were a lot about the same, good drafts with a good free agent pickup every now and again.

LA gets Casey Blake, and the Indians are about to sign Kerry Wood.

Yippie?

Rays also talking to Bradley

Mets Sign K-rod... for some reason I don't think this will work out. Cubs are talking to Milton Bradley, i would love that.

I'm thinking the same way on K-rod ;) . His stats (besides saves) really aren't
that great.

Yea, K-Rod is an improvement over Wagner, but they still have the same problem as last year.

As for my Yankees...

WE GOT SABATHIA!!!!

Albeit for way to much money and two years too many in my opinion and yea they are close to an agreement, but it looks like a done deal. But hey, we got what we needed in the best starting pitcher on the market. Now if the Angels can now keep Teixeria out of Boston, I'll be pretty happy.

Yea, K-Rod is an improvement over Wagner
Well now he is, but when Wagner was healthy, I'd take him over all but Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, and maybe few others.

I like the K-Rod deal. A bit more than I'd say one should pay a reliever, but if it keeps last year from happening again, it's all good. Unfortunately, last year it wasn't just the closer faltering. It was everyone. Heilman's due for a good year and Joe Smith will be a solid relief pitcher, but the rest of the bullpen, not so sure.

Heilman won't be in the 'pen next year. He'll either be starting for the Mets or be starting for another team, likely the latter. I had heard of a possible trade where they wanted to send him to the Rockies for Huston Street straight up, but the Rockies wanted Pedro Feliciano as well. Don't know how accurate the report was, but the Mets are trying to move him.

I hope so, when Lee's contract expires in two years the Nat's will probaly be looking to dump some salary.

Mark Teixiera to the Nats?

Only if the Nat's dig up the 200 million over 8 years they've rumored to be pondering to offer Teixera and he decides that money is more important to him than playing for a perennial playoff contender. If I'm the Nationals' front office, I'd keep the money for contract extensions of key players and try to build a core group of guys they can be competitive with. The addition of Teixera alone will not make them be able to compete, especially in the N.L. East.

And back to the Mets bullpen, they've acquired J.J. Putz from the Mariners along with Sean Green and Jeremy Reed in exchange for Endy Chavez, Aaron Heilman, Jason Vargas, and a whole bunch of other minor leaguers from the Mets. The Indians were in the deal too, got Joe Smith from the Mets and 2B Luis Valbuena from the Mariners in exchange for Franklin Gutierrez.

So the big question is now is did the Mets get enough to fill their bullpen hole?

EDIT: Just saw on mlb.com the Nationals offered Teixera 8 years @ 160 million. It isn't the 200 million Boras was looking for, but it sure as hell is a competitive offer though.

Only if the Nat's dig up the 200 million over 8 years they've rumored to be pondering to offer Teixera and he decides that money is more important to him than playing for a perennial playoff contender. If I'm the Nationals' front office, I'd keep the money for contract extensions of key players and try to build a core group of guys they can be competitive with. The addition of Teixera alone will not make them be able to compete, especially in the N.L. East.

The Nationals don't have a core group or key guys.

Lannan, Zimmerman, and perhaps Milledge if he turns it around big time in 09 are all possibilities. They gotta start somewhere, otherwise anybody good they develop or acquire is just going to leave via free agency. After 102 losses, the Nationals aren't going to turn into a free agent hot-spot overnight.

Yea, K-Rod is an improvement over Wagner, but they still have the same problem as last year.

As for my Yankees...

WE GOT SABATHIA!!!!

Albeit for way to much money and two years too many in my opinion and yea they are close to an agreement, but it looks like a done deal. But hey, we got what we needed in the best starting pitcher on the market. Now if the Angels can now keep Teixeria out of Boston, I'll be pretty happy.

For 7 years. Enjoy the first four, and then I'll laugh as you're stuck with a huge, bloated contract while a 400 pound CC sits on the DL.

The Yankees will be lucky if he makes another two, IMO. He really spent himself to get the Brewers into the playoffs.

Indians-Seattle and the Mets had a three team trade yesterday. JJ Putz to the Mets, Ben Fransisco to Seattle, and the Indians get some guys I haven't heard of (I was all excited when I saw the headline JOE SMITH TO CLEVELAND, thinking they were talking about basketball...but they weren't :( )

Heilman won't be in the 'pen next year. He'll either be starting for the Mets or be starting for another team, likely the latter. QUOTE]

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/h...three-way-deal-sends-putz-to-mets?eref=fromSI

Looks like you were right. mets pull mega trade with seattle for JJ Putz. The mets give up a lot of players for their set up man who had a not so great year last year. Watch out phillies...

Putz has always been a closer, but after getting injured and pitching bad when he did return he lost his closer role. As a set-up guy... he should be
the least of the Phillies worries. I admit he is probably better than anyone they had, but as far as setting the world on fire I don't think he is the one :scan: .

regarding the mets' BP acquistions - on paper, it looks great. but as a friend of mine who hails from the great state of Missouri would say, "show me!" :p iow, i'll believe it all when i see it :)

sabathia is a nice pickup for the yankees. a little too much coin for my tastes. but the yanks will need all the help they can get imho. they really need another bat...

Top Bottom